Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in Australia - Railway

Working in Australia - Railway

Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

shellandrara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Australia - Railway

I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread and I've seen a few about railway but hoping someone can help and figured I should probably post it in the Australia forum rather than the profession one.

Me and my wife are considering emigrating having been to Australia numerous times. We are both mid 30's, no kids and mortgage paid off in UK so it's easy to rent out our property and we also have savings.

My wife is likely to be the main earner as she is an IRSE Principles Signalling Design Engineer and works for a rail company in the UK with over 15 years experience and qualifications.

There seems to be plenty of opportunities around Melbourne area (and we have cousins in Patterson Lakes) so it's one consideration but I wondered if anyone 'in the know' working in any railway companies could give an idea of salary, where the main work is based (not just in Melbourne but in the whole of Oz). NZ doesn't seem to have the opportunities Oz does. I also wondered if relocation costs are negotiable and what the clauses are eg time spent with employer etc...

I'm working with the Ministry of Justice and have a long history in Probation and rehabilitation programmes with high risk men but the salary isn't great. I'm also self employment freelance as a blogger which I could do anywhere but it would be my wife that initially would be working and I'm hoping it wouldn't be an issue if I didn't initially work, as in by an employer initially as I'm not sure I want to continue working in corrections!

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 10:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Australia - Railway

Before you go any further in looking at areas to live, you have to see whether you actually can get a visa which will allow you to llive and work in Australia. Are your wife's skills on the SOL? Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Old Mar 16th 2017, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

From what we can see yes they are. Her job seems to fall under electrical engineer, as this seems to cover railway, although her specific title Signalling Design Engineer isn't mentioned. There also seems quite a demand for the job she does.

Around 8 years ago before we met (actually I was the reason her plans got scrapped - she met me and fell in love!) she had a job offer in Melbourne sponsored by an employer, had the medical etc...

We are now ready to make the move. I can't say it will be forever at this stage but certainly we are both now ready.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 2:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, first things first. Look at the Engineer Australia website and see if she can pass the skills assessment. Does she have a degree in electrical engineering?
Old Mar 17th 2017, 8:27 am
Just Joined

I can't seem to access the skills assessment to see the questions but yes she has a HND in Engineering.

As I said before, the likely option is to get sponsored by an employer and I know from previous threads from people working in the railway environment this seems a common option.

I'm hoping that some people working in the railway environment that have made the move may offer more info.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 8:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shellandrara
I can't seem to access the skills assessment to see the questions but yes she has a HND in Engineering.

As I said before, the likely option is to get sponsored by an employer and I know from previous threads from people working in the railway environment this seems a common option.

I'm hoping that some people working in the railway environment that have made the move may offer more info.
Generally, to be considered as a professional engineer in Australia, you need at least a Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline. There are exceptions to this but each case would be treated on merit. One thing to note though, Engineers Australia (professional body for engineering here) are particularly anal in this regard

A pathetic standpoint I know (the IET and co in the UK are much more switched on) but something you'd have to deal with at the skills assessment stage

Good luck

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 17th 2017 at 8:39 am.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 8:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A HND is not a degree

Won't get sponsorship without the right qualifications or skills either.

My son started on the railways in West Australia but he had a degree in electrical engineering.

You really need to sort out if her qualifications are acceptable.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 8:59 am
Just Joined

I have emailed the engineering website with details of the HND (2004) and also confirming that she is a qualified member of the IRSE Institute of Railway Signalling Engineers to see if this makes a difference.

I believe that when she previously got offers a job it was in Box Hill with Halcrow and applied for a long stay temporary business visa .... But this was 2007.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 9:40 am
Still alive

I have emailed the engineering website with details of the HND (2004) and also confirming that she is a qualified member of the IRSE Institute of Railway Signalling Engineers to see if this makes a difference.

I believe that when she previously got offers a job it was in Box Hill with Halcrow and applied for a long stay temporary business visa .... But this was 2007.
A long stay business visa is a temporary 457. It will not lead to permanent residence unless you or your wife qualify for a skilled visa.

Emails to the engineer site are not going to give you the answers. You need to go to.the EngineersAustralia site. Loo at the skills assessment area and see what it says she needs. I would be very surprised if HND was enough to pass.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 9:49 am
Just Joined

A temporary stay is probably going to be the option we are looking at initially rather than full residence.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

A temporary stay is probably going to be the option we are looking at initially rather than full residence.
If I can give you a piece of advice (take it or leave it - up to you) - go for PR rather than a 457. Yes, it is a lot more hassle to get but it gives you so much more flexibility when you arrive. You can pick and choose employers. You are entitled to so much more from government when it comes to education and medical resources. You can never geel really settled on a 457 - it really does give you do many more options
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Hi, Sydney trains in nsw sponsor people, they also do RPL. Search Sydney trains or nsw trains as they divided into two seperate companies ... both owned by railcorp.

They pay for relocation also.