Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are work tools a problem to get through customs?

Are work tools a problem to get through customs?

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:53 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Question Are work tools a problem to get through customs?

I've read several threads on here about having to thoroughly clean stuff that has been anywhere near the garden.

Is there any criteria for work tools? My husband is a plumber and to replace all his tools would cost an absolute fortune, but I can't quite see him sitting down with each individual spanner, screwdriver, benders etc to ensure they are all spotless.

Do customs have a problem with this as they are sometimes used for underground work?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:55 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are work tools a problem to get through customs?

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I've read several threads on here about having to thoroughly clean stuff that has been anywhere near the garden.

Is there any criteria for work tools? My husband is a plumber and to replace all his tools would cost an absolute fortune, but I can't quite see him sitting down with each individual spanner, screwdriver, benders etc to ensure they are all spotless.

Do customs have a problem with this as they are sometimes used for underground work?
Well he wont need his hand benders or pipe slices for a start as Aussie pipe is a different size.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about

Hi there, my hubby is a carpenter and bought his tools with us (plus household ones - drills, bits, screwdrivers, chisels etc. etc.) and YES, he did sit down faithfully and clean each and every item.

It was done rather leisurely though, in front of the tv after my daughter had gone to bed.

Tell him to buy a bumper pack of babywipes (they clean ANYTHING) and to get started now.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Princess_atta
Hi there, my hubby is a carpenter and bought his tools with us (plus household ones - drills, bits, screwdrivers, chisels etc. etc.) and YES, he did sit down faithfully and clean each and every item.

It was done rather leisurely though, in front of the tv after my daughter had gone to bed.

Tell him to buy a bumper pack of babywipes (they clean ANYTHING) and to get started now.

Oh Goodie!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry

My husband brought everything and no, nothing was cleaned. No problem!
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:39 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

AQIS are only concerned with soil & vegetable matter, oil and grease are your problem. .................. mm
Old Jun 19th 2005, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
Well he wont need his hand benders or pipe slices for a start as Aussie pipe is a different size.
Interestingly i was in bunnings( Oz B&Q) and they were selling 22mm Hep 2o pipe. The 15mm equivalent was 17mm strange!
Not made it into a plumbers merchant yet to check other things out.

Flumper's hubby
Old Jun 19th 2005, 3:54 pm
AuSsIe ChIcK!!!

chloegroovy will become famous soon enoughchloegroovy will become famous soon enough

aussie pipes r diffrent size 2 English pipes so theres no point in takin his "tools"

chloe
xxx
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

jimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Princess_atta

My hubby is carpenter also, we are waiting for our visa and hoping to stay in Croydon Hills, Mooroolbark area beside my sisters.

He did wonder about his tools, particularly electric hand tools. I'll get him started on cleaning the saws etc.

Thanks

Margaret
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about

Hi Margaret,

Give us a shout when you get here - we're in North Croydon at the mo but hoping to buy in Croydon Hills.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:04 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Oily dirty or greasy hand tools: screwdrivers, spanners sockets etc. can be run through a domestic dishwasher to clean them efficiently. You'd have to wait until the Mrs was at work or in bed There's no trace of any oil or grease in the dishwasher afterwards either Just a light wipe over with an oily rag ensures no rusting in transit on items that may be susceptible. My power tools just got a wipe over with the same rag after a clean with some solvent cleaner from the local hire shop.
As has been said they are mainly concerned with items that could have soil contamination on them. Garden tools can be jet washed off and if your really concerned you could hammerite the steel ends and make them look like new.