Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work in Oz for UK clients?

Work in Oz for UK clients?

Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work in Oz for UK clients?

Wondered if anyone did this. My missus runs a successful web design business and is hoping that some of her clients stay with her when we emigrate next year. Just wondered if anyone else had pulled this off. Carrying on earning that pound sterling is a big incentive to put up with making business called between 10pm and midnight oz time, but are there other issues?
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:06 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work in Oz for UK clients?

I'm going to do the same, I've set up an account with www.tranzfers.com to transfer my money. Basically clients will pay into my HSBC account by BACS then I can transfer the money over to AU$ as and when. Seems the simplest and cheapest method (£7 per transfer).

Other than the money transfer side dont think there's any other hurdles I've come across. Most of my work is sent digitally via email, so no problem there.

Feel free to PM me if you've got any other queries and I'll see if able to answer
Old Jul 13th 2005, 3:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, cheers bridiej - have any of your clients given you an indication as to how the feel about your relocation? We reckon a couple of our larger clients will ditch us, but we hope most of them will still with the company.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 3:57 pm

Most of my clients email me digital sound files to transcribe so they are all happy about it, particularly when I mention that due to the time difference if they emailed me a file at 6pm UK time and it was urgent it could be back in their inbox first thing the next morning!

Might be a useful factor to use when trying to sell the idea to your clients?

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bridiej
Most of my clients email me digital sound files to transcribe so they are all happy about it, particularly when I mention that due to the time difference if they emailed me a file at 6pm UK time and it was urgent it could be back in their inbox first thing the next morning!

Might be a useful factor to use when trying to sell the idea to your clients?

That time factor can be a really great selling point, to even get new clients.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:01 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That time factor can be a really great selling point, to even get new clients.
Speaking from the 'clients' point of view ( we have an Aussie Migaration Agent) - it is a huge bonus to us and was a big deciding factor in choosing who we did!

Send an email when you get in from work or before bed, and you have an answer in your inbox 1st thing in the morning!!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Speaking from the 'clients' point of view ( we have an Aussie Migaration Agent) - it is a huge bonus to us and was a big deciding factor in choosing who we did!

Send an email when you get in from work or before bed, and you have an answer in your inbox 1st thing in the morning!!

Excellent, that's good to hear
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the Australian tax implications ... ?

Originally Posted by bridiej
I'm going to do the same, I've set up an account with www.tranzfers.com to transfer my money. Basically clients will pay into my HSBC account by BACS then I can transfer the money over to AU$ as and when. Seems the simplest and cheapest method (£7 per transfer).

Other than the money transfer side dont think there's any other hurdles I've come across. Most of my work is sent digitally via email, so no problem there.

Feel free to PM me if you've got any other queries and I'll see if able to answer
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Three Legs
What are the Australian tax implications ... ?
Going to have to look into that when arrive and get sorted with accountant, cant see it being a huge problem though
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:07 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You chose to be tax resident in UK or Australia - pay income tax in either.

You will most likely chose to be resident in Aus - because you wont pay NI, and if you are not resident in Aus then ANY income you earn in Aus is taxed at the top marginal rate ( 48% or whatever it is).

You can elect either. To elect to be Aus tax resident you just do aa tax return at year-end and declare all your worldwide income and pay tax on it in Aus. To not pay tax in UK you do a form P85 before or after you leave. ( I still havent)

For this advice and to be really nice and because I set bridiej up to Tranzfers if you register using this link you will be one small cog in the myriad of people Im cajolling into becoming 10 friends and getting me a free Ipod ;-). Register before you leave the UK its Much Much Much easier and you can just leave it dormant if you never decide to use it - it means you can move money online immediately when you are in Australia, Ive used it stacks over hte past 4mths and it works a treat , very reliable. My top tip is get a barclays account in UK because they bank with barclays so the money is even quicker into your pockets. Be aware - there is an online limit in Barclays accountso nline banking of 2000 pounds per day transfers - if you get a barclays business account that limit goes up to about 20,000 pounds per day.

See - loads of good advice, go on use my referral ;-)
http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... It's done ...

... Go for the 6GB mini Ipod ...

... ...

Three Legs

Originally Posted by spalen
You chose to be tax resident in UK or Australia - pay income tax in either.

You will most likely chose to be resident in Aus - because you wont pay NI, and if you are not resident in Aus then ANY income you earn in Aus is taxed at the top marginal rate ( 48% or whatever it is).

You can elect either. To elect to be Aus tax resident you just do aa tax return at year-end and declare all your worldwide income and pay tax on it in Aus. To not pay tax in UK you do a form P85 before or after you leave. ( I still havent)

For this advice and to be really nice and because I set bridiej up to Tranzfers if you register using this link you will be one small cog in the myriad of people Im cajolling into becoming 10 friends and getting me a free Ipod ;-). Register before you leave the UK its Much Much Much easier and you can just leave it dormant if you never decide to use it - it means you can move money online immediately when you are in Australia, Ive used it stacks over hte past 4mths and it works a treat , very reliable. My top tip is get a barclays account in UK because they bank with barclays so the money is even quicker into your pockets. Be aware - there is an online limit in Barclays accountso nline banking of 2000 pounds per day transfers - if you get a barclays business account that limit goes up to about 20,000 pounds per day.

See - loads of good advice, go on use my referral ;-)
http://www.tranzfers.com/refer.asp?r=ijcollins
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:21 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
... It's done ...

... Go for the 6GB mini Ipod ...

... ...

Three Legs
Thanks !!!