Reload this Page >

Work in Adelaide

Work in Adelaide

Old Sep 28th 2003, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

The McGintys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Adelaide

Hi,
I just wanted a bit of advice regarding work in Adelaide. My hubbie is a bricklayer and we are intending to apply for 139 visa. We have lots of family in Adelaide so thats were we intend to settle at first.

However I am becoming a little concerned regarding the work situation for brickies. I have done numerous searches for bricklayers jobs and have not yet seen an advert for one in Adelaide. There are loads in Sydney Melbourne & Perth.

We are reasurred by our rellies that there is a desperate need for brickies-however I have not seen the proof yet.

I would love to hear from trades in Adelaide or people who have contacts in the building industry. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Daihla :lecture:
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

it would appear they don't like bricks much in s.a

took some finding..

http://jobsearch.gov.au/JobDetails/J...0&SortField=0&

cheers

richard
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:22 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in Adelaide

hi there,
if you do a search using the box at the top of this page you will find some helpful threads on this subject. a couple of us have hubbys who are plasterers who are in a similar situation, but found its a case of looking in the right place. a link to the sydney morning herald on a recent thread highlighted that there was indeed a shortage of workers in construction. someone also said it helped if they were willing to go onto sites and ask in person for work. but try the search facility above and see what you come up with!!
good luck,

Sue

Originally posted by The McGintys
Hi,
I just wanted a bit of advice regarding work in Adelaide. My hubbie is a bricklayer and we are intending to apply for 139 visa. We have lots of family in Adelaide so thats were we intend to settle at first.

However I am becoming a little concerned regarding the work situation for brickies. I have done numerous searches for bricklayers jobs and have not yet seen an advert for one in Adelaide. There are loads in Sydney Melbourne & Perth.

We are reasurred by our rellies that there is a desperate need for brickies-however I have not seen the proof yet.

I would love to hear from trades in Adelaide or people who have contacts in the building industry. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Daihla :lecture:
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by r.bartlett
it would appear they don't like bricks much in s.a

took some finding..

cheers

richard

Nothing of the sort. There is a massive house buildng programme here and many are brick veneer types so there are plenty of brickies.

The problem is that not many builders advertise directly - they usually use on of the agencies. Also, I'm quickly learning that there is a village mentality here and everyone knows everyone. It is taking some effort to break into what seems to be a closed-shop industry.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry, my brother-in-law is a brickie, he currently lives in Bedhampton (not too far from you!) and is waiting on his STNI visa so he can move to Adelaide. We keep an eye on the brickie adverts for him, they are not advertised in with the rest of the jobs but appear in the Tenders and Contracts section of the Advertiser (local paper) on a Monday. Currently average about six ads a week, some for multiple vacancies. adelaidegirl
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:40 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

What about electricians in Adelaide? Is there much call for them? Cos that's where my hubby and I are heading, and he is a sparky? I too havent seen many jobs for electricians advertised on the net. Do you think it is the same principle as brickies?

Theresa
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

they
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Sorry about last post- my 11 month old deleted my reply and then posted the last word!!!!!!! bloddy kids!!!!!!

anyway, thanks to everyone who replied.

I agree that Ross (my hubbie) will more than likley need to go on site for work. I must admit thats what he has always done here in the UK and has never been out of work for the 10 years that Ive known him.

We have a friend in sydney who is a contracts manager, who gives us lots of advice regarding the working conditions on site. I know that Ross cant wait to get there because he has had enough of conreate blocks, freezing muck, and forever hunting the site for hard hats & high vis vests because some bugger has just nicked your new one you have just bought from jewsons.

Anyway got to go because Ive got my 11 month old crying & hanging off my leg and my 2.5 year old holding his entire book collection saying"LOOK MUMMY LOOK"

CHEERS AGAIN DAIHLA
:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of jobs available for the trades.

Colin
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

There's plenty of work for on-site sparkies in the commercial and industrial sector, but you might well have to prove yourself if you are looking for a supervisory position by working on site for a while rather than just walking into a site supervisor role. Sparkies have to take some sort of electrical exam to get their licence, can't work in SA without it. Steve Bannister can help you there - over to you Steve! adelaidegirl
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
There's plenty of work for on-site sparkies in the commercial and industrial sector, but you might well have to prove yourself if you are looking for a supervisory position by working on site for a while rather than just walking into a site supervisor role. Sparkies have to take some sort of electrical exam to get their licence, can't work in SA without it. Steve Bannister can help you there - over to you Steve! adelaidegirl

Hi Adelaide Girl. Are you gong to the Expats meetup in Belair Park on Saturday?
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sundarise, please send me a PM with the details, I'd love to meet up with everyone. adelaidegirl
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Hi Sundarise, please send me a PM with the details, I'd love to meet up with everyone. adelaidegirl
I am not going to be in Adelaide in time for the meet, but here is the address of the group who are organising it. Great place for all Brits already in, or intending to go to Adelaide.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/