Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

words of wisdom please - leaving mother

words of wisdom please - leaving mother

Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

lucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant future
Default words of wisdom please - leaving mother

I am leaving for oz in 4 weeks and its getting harder now as time gets nearer with the feeling of guilt of leaving my mother behind who was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer a year ago. The doctors are pleased with her progress and are very hopeful she has a few years left yet.

We have discussed it over the last year and she is happy and has been encouraging me to go to oz and wants me to start a new life with my australian boyfriend. She has also given me a little nest egg so that I can come home at a moments notice if need be or if I get home sick. The only problem is now she is getting very emotional and every time she sees me tries not to cry.

I am going to live with her from next week until I go, as my boyfriend flies out before me, so we are going to spend quality time together.

Does anyone know any words I can say to her to reassure her and that please dont think she is losing me. I am worried about her as think the stress of me leaving her is going to make her worse.

Any words would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:03 pm
Professional Princess

Default Re: words of wisdom please - leaving mother

Originally Posted by lucyloo
I am leaving for oz in 4 weeks and its getting harder now as time gets nearer with the feeling of guilt of leaving my mother behind who was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer a year ago. The doctors are pleased with her progress and are very hopeful she has a few years left yet.

We have discussed it over the last year and she is happy and has been encouraging me to go to oz and wants me to start a new life with my australian boyfriend. She has also given me a little nest egg so that I can come home at a moments notice if need be or if I get home sick. The only problem is now she is getting very emotional and every time she sees me tries not to cry.

I am going to live with her from next week until I go, as my boyfriend flies out before me, so we are going to spend quality time together.

Does anyone know any words I can say to her to reassure her and that please dont think she is losing me. I am worried about her as think the stress of me leaving her is going to make her worse.

This one really upset me as my mum has been ill and we nearly lost her.

I think the way in which your mum is coping with this is admirable.

When you have your quality time with her, the only thing I can think of for you to tell her is;

I love you, I will always love you and its the way in which you have raised me that has made me the person that I am - able to make this life changing move. Without you I couldnt have done it.

I am two days away, a phone call, an email.

Thank you for being my Mum.

Good luck,

Love Sam

Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:06 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

No words of wisdom, I'm afraid, Lucyloo, just lots of hugs and sympathy for you. I can't begin to imagine how hard that will be for you. I'm sure the time you spend together in the coming weeks will be incredibly precious for you both. Is she going to be well enough to visit you in the reasonably near future, do you think? If so, that will give you both much to look forward to.

There isn't an easy way to say goodbye to your mum, even when they're not ill, but it must be doubly hard to do when they are. My mum died five years ago, and I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to make the break had she still been alive.

I hope you have many happy times together in the future. I know it's corny, but as they say, don't say goodbye, just au revoir... Good luck to you both.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:12 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

sorry im bad with words and dont really have anything i can add to help u. but i do feel for u and GOOD ON YOUR MUM for being so strong and keeping it all in.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:15 pm
Merlot

I know I should never read these threads as they always start the tears, I really feel for your situation, you are both incredibly brave.

Like others have said, take each day and fill it up with love, treat the goodbye like see you later. You will find the strength to get though it.

Much love and karma to you.

M

Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:21 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with your future in australia.

give your mum all your thoughts and hugs and love during the weeks/days you have together. you have a very special mum.

michelle
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun
good luck with your future in australia.

give your mum all your thoughts and hugs and love during the weeks/days you have together. you have a very special mum.

michelle
Threads like this just make me wish I had a mother who gave a **** . Presumably although you have a great relationship and love each other dearly, drugs are probably stuffing up her emotional system as well as making her better.

She knows you love her and visa versa. Have a great stay, say what's in your heart and head when you think of it, cry a lot, laugh even more. If she doesn't already have it, get a computer with skype, a webcam, microphone and go with her best wishes.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

lucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant future
Smile Re: words of wisdom please - leaving mother

Thanks everyone for such kind words and understanding - many many thanks for all your words and advice.

I have got skype and in process of sorting out webcam etc - going to do a training session with her so she knows how to use it all!!!

We are talking positively and saying that she will come to oz - the only prob is she is due chemo again in the next few months so wont be able to travel then - but fingers crossed she will get to oz, although its probably unlikely as a day trip tires her out! but theres still hope.

But I am more positivie today and going to make sure we have a happy great time together before I go and will try and think of a special gift I can give her before I go that will make her smile - not that I can think of anything at the moment - better put the brain in gear!

Once again thanks everyone
Love
Emma
x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:32 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

But I am more positivie today and going to make sure we have a happy great time together before I go and will try and think of a special gift I can give her before I go that will make her smile - not that I can think of anything at the moment - better put the brain in gear!

what about taking a camera with you everywhere you go, and just snap and snap. put an album together with all the piccies, buy a locket and put your mums and your piccies in, and put it on page 1 of the album. leave it for your mum in a place in her house for her to find after you've left. i know it sounds corny, but one of the best things from my husbands father was an album he put together from when steven was a child (he had had no piccies from when he was a child due to certain circumstances). this is really a treasured possession.

just a thought.

michelle
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

What a bittersweet time you are having. I agree with what everybody has said previously. Make the time you have special. Tell your Mum how much you love her.

She is indeed a very special lady. It may be that it would make your mum happy to see you settled in the place you want to be while she is still here. It may be a comfort to her.

buns suggestion of a photo album is a lovely idea.

Wishing you both love and happiness.

Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:15 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Echo everything said already - not much I can add.

It's tough at the best of times, without health complications. Enjoy your quality time and be strong for her and all around you.