Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all teachers

Calling all teachers

Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:36 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling all teachers

Hi all,
Those that read my posts will know that I am starting a SCITT PGCE (primary key stage 1) in September.

I have had quite a few pms from people wanting to know what a SCITT is so I thought I'd post an explanation.

On a SCITT scheme you attend lectures for 2 days of the week and are placed in a home school 3 days a week. You remain at the same school for term 1 and 3 within your key stage and in term 2 you work in an alternative key stage at a different school. In addition you do 3 6 week block teaching practices (1 in each term) plus a week with a foundation class. By the end of you course you are responsible for teaching a whole class-very hands on.

I went along for my induction day yesterday which was a real eye opener. The other would-be teachers were very friendly and possessed a really unusual mixture of talent. Half were career changers (from the city) and a third were men.

What I found really shocking and very sad was that we were told that as primary teachers we couldn’t touch the children. I understand the reasons for this extreme measure but it does not make any sense to me. The extent to which this rule is enforced is that if a child falls over or is crying a teacher cannot help the child up or comfort them. I don't know how I will cope in that situation because it is a natural reaction to comfort a distressed child. During my induction afternoon, at my home school, one very affection child kept cuddling me and stroking my hair saying she liked my hair and my skin. It was really difficult but my mentor kept “saying gently push her away�.

Interestingly I did my pre-course teaching experience at my son’s private school where no such restrictions seem to apply. I frequently saw teachers ruffle the boys’ hair, shake their hands, comfort children and help children up. It is mixed sex school catering for ages 2 to 11 year olds and half the teachers are male.

I would be very interested to know if the rules are the same in Perth or are teachers given more freedom to act naturally? Particularly with the rule about putting sun cream on children.. I would really like to hear from other teachers.

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Ace, it's as much to protect you as them. Sad, I know, but you can get suspended at the mere hint of anything dodgy. It's not innocent 'till proven guilty and can wreck you career.
As for suncream, get the children to apply it to each other.
You get used to not touching / hugging the children. When children were really upset, i would pat them gently on the shoulders, then encourage their friends to give them a hug. They liked that and it's good for them to support each other and develop social skills. Another thing is to do everything openly, don't shut your door etc. unless there are windows.
I would be interested to know what it's like in Aus, but I feel there are good reasons for these measures, so it is likely to be the case there too.
Just reread your post. I think the bit about not even helping the child up is OTT, especially if you're dealing with infants. Just be careful how you do it.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If you value your job or profesiion never touch a child! Unfortunately there are so many cases of vindictive kids claiming they have been assaulted and the only way to protect yourself is not to get into the situation. This is undoubtedly very hard to carry out. In practice Kids will try to hold your hand, sit on your knees etc and do grow to 'love' you, just use your common sense. With little ones it is harder to keep your distance.

Suncream is a definite no-no, which can prove difficult with young kids but they have to learn to put it on themselves or parents do it before they go to school.

One of the hardest things I have found is when kids fight. Legally you are not even allowed to separate them, you should instruct them to STOP, but if they don't you are stuffed! Do not intervene as you could then be accused if any injuried occur. It is a sad world we live in with law suits and all of that, but protecting yourself has to come foremost.

Though I have had to break up fights by shoving myself in the middle, which is taking a risk when the kids are bigger than you and is breaking the unions advice. After all do you think teenagers will stop fighting just cos you tell them to?

I have also had kids throwing chairs across the room, I have had to restrain them as they have put the other kids at risk.

Good luck with the course.I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for a PGCE is real hard work!! Come to think of it so is teaching!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I didn't mean that to sound so harsh, but I am just conveying standard advice!

Of course all of us break the rules occasionally, after alll you get really close to some of the kids and think of them almost as your own. You can't help but asist kids in the way you feel best.

As a parent I am happy if the teacher gives my kids a cuddle. My daughter came home beaming the other day as her teacher had given her a hug. The problem is not all parents think like this!

I am not sure if you are male or female, but things are even harder if you are a male!

Hope you enjoy the course.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 6:01 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
To be honest Ace, it's as much to protect you as them. Sad, I know, but you can get suspended at the mere hint of anything dodgy. It's not innocent 'till proven guilty and can wreck you career.
As for suncream, get the children to apply it to each other.
You get used to not touching / hugging the children. When children were really upset, i would pat them gently on the shoulders, then encourage their friends to give them a hug. They liked that and it's good for them to support each other and develop social skills. Another thing is to do everything openly, don't shut your door etc. unless there are windows.
I would be interested to know what it's like in Aus, but I feel there are good reasons for these measures, so it is likely to be the case there too.
Just reread your post. I think the bit about not even helping the child up is OTT, especially if you're dealing with infants. Just be careful how you do it.
Hi Larissa,
Thank you for your reply. I think it will take some getting used to but as you say it is a question of protecting myself and my job. I relly like the idea of getting the other children to hug their friends when they are upset.

I also think that not being allowed to help children up is OTT, we have been advised to 'encourage' them up.

ACE
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:07 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by tinaj
If you value your job or profesiion never touch a child! Unfortunately there are so many cases of vindictive kids claiming they have been assaulted and the only way to protect yourself is not to get into the situation. This is undoubtedly very hard to carry out. In practice Kids will try to hold your hand, sit on your knees etc and do grow to 'love' you, just use your common sense. With little ones it is harder to keep your distance.

Suncream is a definite no-no, which can prove difficult with young kids but they have to learn to put it on themselves or parents do it before they go to school.

One of the hardest things I have found is when kids fight. Legally you are not even allowed to separate them, you should instruct them to STOP, but if they don't you are stuffed! Do not intervene as you could then be accused if any injuried occur. It is a sad world we live in with law suits and all of that, but protecting yourself has to come foremost.

Though I have had to break up fights by shoving myself in the middle, which is taking a risk when the kids are bigger than you and is breaking the unions advice. After all do you think teenagers will stop fighting just cos you tell them to?

I have also had kids throwing chairs across the room, I have had to restrain them as they have put the other kids at risk.

Good luck with the course.I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for a PGCE is real hard work!! Come to think of it so is teaching!
Hi Tina thank you for the advice. You are right of course, I just need to be more professional and less emotional.

I am female with two children 8 and 1 and I think the fact that Ryans nursery nurses kiss and cuddle him all the time is lovely. As I mentioned before the teachers at Rhys' school are very natural and tactile, I think it's great and so does Rhys but I can see where they are leaving themselves open to all sorts of trouble.

It sounds like you have had to deal with some really difficult situations, I don't know how I would cope in a similar situation. I am very lucky to by working in a lovely infants school in a middle class area with extremly well behaved children even so I will definately be careful.

I notice that you are in Oz, are the rules the same there?

Thank you for your kind wishes, I am really looking forward to starting the course. Reading yours and larissas replies has made me realise that I have a lot to learn.

ACE
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ACE

Reading yours and larissas replies has made me realise that I have a lot to learn.

ACE
Don't be surprised Ace, it was a shock to be too initially... I'm quite tactile and nurturing too!
Hope we can be of any further help... plus we never stop learning... just hope I am still "teachable" myself
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:40 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Omg, am I in for a shock or what! I work in a school where we are allowed to hug the children, give them a cuddle even let them cry on your shoulder. It is also acceptable if a child buys you a gift to give them a quick kiss on the cheek, of course you always do things in front of others. I have been in this school for 5 years, so it is something I do naturally. I do however, work in an area where most of the children are starved of any sort of contact or affection. I have only worked in 1 other school long term and the same sort of rules applied there. Moving to Oz is going to be a big change in itself, but if I have to change the way I act with the children too, I'm not sure how I will cope.

Sarah
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:30 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

The basic rule is as stated above.. dont touch. The guidance is to protect you. As are the other "rules".. never ever behind closed doors, etc etc

You will find them out as the course progresses.

You will also find that once you are actually in a school, working and not training that there is flexability. But, you are safest to stick to those advisories.

Look at it like this:

Whatever your reasons for wanting to teach are, you cant do it if your reputation is under a cloud. And it can happen so easily.

Luck with the course.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:00 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Sazzle
The basic rule is as stated above.. dont touch. The guidance is to protect you. As are the other "rules".. never ever behind closed doors, etc etc

You will find them out as the course progresses.

You will also find that once you are actually in a school, working and not training that there is flexability. But, you are safest to stick to those advisories.

Look at it like this:

Whatever your reasons for wanting to teach are, you cant do it if your reputation is under a cloud. And it can happen so easily.

Luck with the course.
Thanks Sazzle,

Wise words indeed and thanks for your kind wishes

ACE
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Kersten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all teachers

Originally Posted by ACE
Thanks Sazzle,

Wise words indeed and thanks for your kind wishes

ACE
Hi ACE

Just read your messages. I am a secondary teacher here in the UK and a science teacher at that - you need eyes in the back of your head! Obviously these rules are there for child protection and also yours. I have been a head of year dealing with some very troubled children and also worked in a very tough school with pupils openly threatening to sue me! This can be over something really minor like keeping them behind! Anyway don't mean to alarm you but you do get used to it and work with your professional boundaries. I agree with earlier advice, always keep your door open, don't be alone with a child in a closed room and try to be in open view so others can see you. Also make sure you report anything unusual or anything concerning you about a child to your allocated teacher in charge of child protection (it is better to report something and it turn out to be nothing than the other way around).
It all sounds really scary and I remember being as shocked as you when I started my PGCE but as long as you are sensible with the guidelines you will be fine.

Like you I am wanting to teach in Australia so would be interested to see what it is like over there but I suspect it will be a similar situation.

Anyway good luck with your course, hope you are enjoying it so far. It will be really hard work this year but once you are through it it does get better! I find teaching a really rewarding job, it is worth all the hard work.

All the best

Kersten