Word of warning when shipping cars/motorbikes

Word of warning when shipping cars/motorbikes

Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Word of warning when shipping cars/motorbikes

Hi,

Hopefully this may help somebody else.

We are shipping 4 motorbikes in our container and have also got 15 boxes of various spares - mostly bought 2nd hand off Ebay.

Our container arrived in Brissie on 9 April and we were told by our shipping agents yesterday that Customs require an itemised list of the spares we have brought together with a value for each item which has to be verified by a qualified valuer :scared:

We do not have any idea of which spares are in which box so hubby is going to have to drive 2 hours to Brissie, meet up with the valuer, unpack the relevant boxes,do an inventory and get the valuer to value them. The valuer will of course want paying for his time and we then have to pay GST on the value of the spares

Would have been nice if we had known this before leaving the UK as we could at least have done the inventory as the boxes were being packed. May also have labelled the boxes differently too
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:32 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Word of warning when shipping cars/motorbikes

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi,

We are shipping 4 motorbikes in our container and have also got 15 boxes of various spares - mostly bought 2nd hand off Ebay.

Our container arrived in Brissie on 9 April and we were told by our shipping agents yesterday that Customs require an itemised list of the spares we have brought together with a value for each item which has to be verified by a qualified valuer :scared:

We do not have any idea of which spares are in which box so hubby is going to have to drive 2 hours to Brissie, meet up with the valuer, unpack the relevant boxes,do an inventory and get the valuer to value them. The valuer will of course want paying for his time and we then have to pay GST on the value of the spares

Would have been nice if we had known this before leaving the UK as we could at least have done the inventory as the boxes were being packed. May also have labelled the boxes differently too
Ouch!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:53 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

While i didn't have any spares i had to get my bike valued , the valuer put the value at half of what i think its worth so payed half of the gst i was expecting to pay . I was cussing his fee b4 hand but not now
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Perthforme
While i didn't have any spares i had to get my bike valued , the valuer put the value at half of what i think its worth so payed half of the gst i was expecting to pay . I was cussing his fee b4 hand but not now
What bike did you bring?

We've looked at www.redbook.com.au and my bike doesn't feature at all (too old!) and neither does hubby's BSA Bantam. His other 2 bikes are a 1978 Triumph Bonnie and a 1990 Kwak ZXR750. They value the Kwak more than the Triumph which seems a bit weird

We've told the valuer what we paid for them so we shall see......
He's charging us $180 for the valuation on each bike. The shippers wanted $300 a bike!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:20 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

What bike did you bring?

We've looked at www.redbook.com.au and my bike doesn't feature at all (too old!) and neither does hubby's BSA Bantam. His other 2 bikes are a 1978 Triumph Bonnie and a 1990 Kwak ZXR750. They value the Kwak more than the Triumph which seems a bit weird

We've told the valuer what we paid for them so we shall see......
He's charging us $180 for the valuation on each bike. The shippers wanted $300 a bike!!
Its a 2 year old ktm 450 i would say its worth $7-8k they valued it at 4 ,
i was charged $170 off the valuation .
Ring round some valuers like rac or maybe nmra etc they may charge less .
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:23 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

never mind. think of it as an excuse to escape from toowoomba for a day!!

Hi,

Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brisnick
never mind. think of it as an excuse to escape from toowoomba for a day!!
How did I know you'd say that
Actually we live in Preston just by the Winery - so there!