Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A word of warning,new immigrants

A word of warning,new immigrants

Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default A word of warning,new immigrants

HI, At the weekend my older kids had a terrible experience in Perth.
Now Im not slating Perth, I still think its a beautiful City, but beware when you get a rental, ask advice from the expats in the City you are going to, Im sure they will know the places to avoid, I wish I had asked, we have been in Bunbury 2 years so we dont know Perth that well.
My older kids got a rental in Ashfield, on Saturday night they and their friends went to the train station all dressed up for a night out, all in good spirits , and they where attacked by a gang of aboriginals, with machettes and baseball bats, knives you name it, apparently there was a family feud going on and they where in the wrong place at the wrong time.
What a horrific night for them, my son ran to a nearby garden for help and was then attacked by the owner with a knife who thought he was a burglar. Anyway the guy realised he needed help and took him in and they phoned the police.
The police where absolutely fantastic, and are keeping a vigil on their place until they get a move. Which will be very soon believe me.
They are all ok and will recover in time, but my daughters friend who came over 3 weeks ago on a work visa went back to Uk last night, just could not stay.
So beware you newbies, take advice, good luck. Dont be put off, it could happen anywhere
Denise
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:53 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A word of warning,new immigrants

The increasing amount of stabbings, armed hold-ups, car jackings and home invasions is really starting to be of concern.

The youth of today seem to have lesser regard for others. Add ICE or alcohol and you have cocktail for disaster.

I actually drive around with my doors locked and screw driver within reach these days. 5 years ago, having to do this was unheard of.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear that Denise. Hope all the kids are ok and recover from the stress soon.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
HI, At the weekend my older kids had a terrible experience in Perth.
Now Im not slating Perth, I still think its a beautiful City, but beware when you get a rental, ask advice from the expats in the City you are going to, Im sure they will know the places to avoid, I wish I had asked, we have been in Bunbury 2 years so we dont know Perth that well.
My older kids got a rental in Ashfield, on Saturday night they and their friends went to the train station all dressed up for a night out, all in good spirits , and they where attacked by a gang of aboriginals, with machettes and baseball bats, knives you name it, apparently there was a family feud going on and they where in the wrong place at the wrong time.
What a horrific night for them, my son ran to a nearby garden for help and was then attacked by the owner with a knife who thought he was a burglar. Anyway the guy realised he needed help and took him in and they phoned the police.
The police where absolutely fantastic, and are keeping a vigil on their place until they get a move. Which will be very soon believe me.
They are all ok and will recover in time, but my daughters friend who came over 3 weeks ago on a work visa went back to Uk last night, just could not stay.
So beware you newbies, take advice, good luck. Dont be put off, it could happen anywhere
Denise
Hi Denise

I hope your kids are not too shook up by this experience .
Seems there are no safe havens from mob/yob culture!
I hope one day some find the answers to this kind of behaviour, but not holding my breath....
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Denise, hope they are all OK?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:28 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your kids are OK and it doesn't put them of going out again as a good social life is important at any age but it seems more so for "kids".
Its good tho' that you are remaining philosophical - in that it could happen anywhere.

All the best
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

How awful for all concerned - hope they get to move soon and recover from this ordeal as quickly as they can.