Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A word of warning for the driving enthusiast.

A word of warning for the driving enthusiast.

Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default A word of warning for the driving enthusiast.

I have driven in the UK for over 25 years. In that time, I have never had a bang or a speeding ticket.

I come out here to Perth and in a matter of 3 weeks I have been caught on camera for speeding. A fine of $50.
Then on Bank Holiday Monday, caught again just down our road on our estate. Apparently, doing 71Kms an hour in a 50 limit (really didn't feel that fast, but I was going down a hill). $100 fine and 2 points on my license - b*gg*r!!!
Decided that I wasn't going to tell hubby of my 2nd offence, and told police the same.
Next day, went straight to Post Office and paid fine.
A week later, as I was coming home, a lot slower may I add, I noticed all the cars flashing me in the same area to let me know that THEY WERE BACK. Managed to get back without being stopped, but decided that I had better tell hubby that they were about as he was about to go out the door, and also confessed to my crime. Didn't go down too well, but felt heaps better for my confession.

This morning, as I was snoozing in my bed (8.30 am) comes a knock on the door. Two sweet Policemen asking for me. Hubby answers the door.
They had come to take my License no for their records.

ITS A B%*#Y GOOD JOB I CONFESSED LAST WEEK OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE BEEN DOBBED IN. :scared:

Just one word of warning - Don't speed, they are sh*t hot on trying to catch anyone.

Whisky
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Public holiday time they come out in force for double demerits. The police seem to ignore my inconspicuous car when I am doing a 1 point offence. During public holidays I watch the speed limit carefully. Police are everywhere with hidden speed traps.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove down to Melbourne over the Easter holidays and couldn’t believe the number of fixed and mobile speed traps there were. Pointless trying to beat them, especially with the double demerit points, so you end up sticking the cruise control on at the speed limit and just sit there.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind so much, if the driving habits of the average Australian Driver weren't so atrocious.

Until I came to Oz, I had never seen a Hoon in action, or for that matter knew what a hoon was.
I had never seen the wheels of a car spinning on the spot, only on some American racing track, not up and down the streets of Rockingham

And the top one to date was me minding my own business driving down the freeway (not speeding) when a ute comes past me with a load of I suppose you would call 'Hoons' with one of them in the passenger seat window hanging his bare arse right out of it.
Tried very hard to keep my composure as I had my 12 year old daughter sat at the side of me, but eventually I cracked... just had to laugh out loud. Wish I had got a spray gun!!!

Whisky
Old Apr 20th 2004, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[Q

And the top one to date was me minding my own business driving down the freeway (not speeding) when a ute comes past me with a load of I suppose you would call 'Hoons' with one of them in the passenger seat window hanging his bare arse right out of it.
Tried very hard to keep my composure as I had my 12 year old daughter sat at the side of me, but eventually I cracked... just had to laugh out loud. Wish I had got a spray gun!!!

Whisky [/QUOTE]

LOL not at your speeding fines, but at your description of the Hoon
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:45 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bondipom
Public holiday time they come out in force for double demerits.

Thanks for that info!

The police seem to ignore my inconspicuous car..

So not a V8 racer then? What have you got?

I think I need to modify my driving now in anticipation!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arnie2oz
Originally posted by bondipom
Public holiday time they come out in force for double demerits.

Thanks for that info!

The police seem to ignore my inconspicuous car..

So not a V8 racer then? What have you got?

I think I need to modify my driving now in anticipation!
I drive a Hyundai Accent. cheap, so far reliable, economical, no aero foils or phat fully sik exhaust pipes and the police ignore them.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:56 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

What a boon,
To be mooned by a hoon,
While driving the saloon,
And not swoon,
Like an old prune -

What a boon!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:04 am
Badge

Default Re: A word of warning for the driving enthusiast.

Originally posted by whisky
This morning, as I was snoozing in my bed (8.30 am) comes a knock on the door. Two sweet Policemen asking for me. Hubby answers the door.
They had come to take my License no for their records.

ITS A B%*#Y GOOD JOB I CONFESSED LAST WEEK OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE BEEN DOBBED IN. :scared:
Whisky
eh. Did they not get your license no at the time? when they stopped you???!!!

BM

PS Hard day at work. Can't concentrate on this.

Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

No, unfortunately not Badgers, as I hadn't got it on me.
Thought I had got away lightly, but obviously they had other ideas.

Whisky