Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Badger's Sheets and Bed problems..(!)

Badger's Sheets and Bed problems..(!)

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:49 am
Badge

Talking Badger's Sheets and Bed problems..(!)

OK. Sorry to bore you with my domestics - here goes.

I've been kipping on a single bed for 2 months. It was an old cast off of a mate of a mate.

I need a double Queen as Mrs B is coming on Saturday. I will buy the mattress - easy as - and she can choose the bed later. I will leave all that to her as I may well get it wrong.

Saturday

I spent 1 hr in a flap in K-Mart choosing sheets for the said Queen. Fitted vs Flat (Army hospital corner nightmares!) vs Valence (sounds Italian!)

In the end, after enlisting every women's help in Manchester, the young fella there couldn't cope and/or didn't know either, and had to call help for 'Manchester', I got 2 sheets, 1 fitted, 1 flat and 2 pillow cases for 40 bucks, and a dooner (blue) set for 40 bucks..(which included 2 blue pillow cases - which makes 2 each - how good am I?!)

I also got some trendy baskets on special for MrsB to put stuff in.
(Sheilas like that sort of thing I reckon) And another one for the lounge room Read : somewhere to put all my mess in ;-)

I bought a 89 buck dustbuster to hoover the bedroom to get it ready for her, prime selling point : good for the ute too!) and a 100 buck heater.

Felt like a real tart walking it all out to the carpark, too.

Sunday

I spent an hr trying to choose a mattress. I even SMSed MrsB in the middle of her night to ask "Do you like them HARD or SOFT?"
("HARD" she SMSed back).

I also didn't have the guts to ask the assistant whether she could lie down and simulate 2 bods on a bed; after all its not just you is it? Quiet at the back, stop sniggering etc etc.

I also got mixed up with the fact that a UK King is an Aussie Queen with the fact the biggest bed in Aussie is a King. (I want the Aussie Queen.)

I had to call Hevs in "who wants to be a Millionaire - Phone a Friend" style in front of the assistant to check.

A decent mattress was 400-700 bucks. Bloody hell. Some came with special comfort layers on top which added to the cost. The top end ones were 1000 plus.

In another shop I found ones from 300-500. Now we were talking!

In the end bought a 400 buck good quality futon. They come as little as 175bucks, all soft foam and tubular bars. 400 gets you
a grouse one all metal bed, solid wooden arms, decent fabric and mattress. Actually looks like a sofa, too.

Solves the problem with where we will sit for 3 months until we buy a house, and where we will kip the first week. I've made do with a bean bag for 2 months; and HUP's chair for TV.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Apr 18th 2004 at 12:23 pm.

Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

ARGGHHHH!!!!!!:scared: Either my over-indulgence on Friday night has caused severe hallucinations, or our Badge has gone domestic:scared: Theres no hope for the rest of us now
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Badger's Sheets and Bed problems..(!)

Originally posted by badgersmount
In the end bought a 400 buck good quality futon. They come as little as 175bucks, all soft foam and tubular bars. 400 gets you
a grouse one all metal bed, wooden arms. Actually looks like a sofa.

Solves the problem with where we will sit for 3 months until we buy a house, and where we will kip the first week. I've made do with a bean bag for 2 months; and HUP's chair for TV.

BM
Badge, think again. She's not a futon woman (because no woman is). She (thinks she) needs a mattress for that bed and you'd better believe it.

Those women are sometimes a bit thick about the need to make do/ live it rough/ survive a few weeks then buy something good.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:20 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

a grouse one all metal bed, wooden arms. Actually looks like a sofa.
If my bloke bought a futon instead of a real bed.......(well he wouldn't 'cos he'd be scared of the consequences) I'd be a seriously unhappy bunny, probably rip his head off and shove it where the sun don't shine

Futons are fine for the odd night here and there and for guests who you'd rather didn't stay long. But they're seriously garbage for regular kipping on
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:28 pm
Badge

Futons - Yes I know. And this one is an EXPENSIVE futon. It is nice, seriously.

It was partly her idea to get the Futon. It doubles up as a sofa, and will go in to the rumpus room in a larger house. We can get the bed after a week. This just gives us somewhere to sit and kip those first few days.

And, it stopped my head from going around in circles.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:33 pm
Don
Banned

Badge. Mate!. I'm a bloke. I like (nay, love!) the idea of futons.

They are efficient, cheapish, roll up, clean, a bit Japanesish in feel, (hey, Geisha girl, come play with me!), cotton magic.

But Mrs B is a woman therefore irrefutable logic suggests she won't be happy sleeping on a futon.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:43 pm
Badge

hey mate, *I* will probably get sick of it after a few nights.

Right, I'm putting it together now to test.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:47 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

hey mate, *I* will probably get sick of it after a few nights.

Right, I'm putting it together now to test.

BM
Pic!!

I actually don't really know what a futon looks like..........

OK...... I'll go look on google!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:53 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
Pic!!

I actually don't really know what a futon looks like..........

OK...... I'll go look on google!
Ahhhh!
Now realised that a futon is what we would call a 'sleepcouch' or 'sleepsofa'.
Well, that's what all the futons that I looked up on google looked like!

I thought they were more wierdish round things.....

Anyway, for what you need it for right now, Badge, a futon sounds fine!
But defintely not long term, no!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:04 pm
Badge

OK THEY'RE ALL A BUNCH OF SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAYS!!

I SUSPECT THEY"VE GIVEN ME THE COMPONENTS OF 2 DIFFERENT FUTONS - THE BUGGERS!!!

INSTRUCTIONS ONLY ONE PAGE -DONT GIVE ME THE WHOLE STORY!!! ENDS IN ATTACHING HINGES TO SLATS....NONE ON HOW TO ATTACH SLATS TO WOODEN ARMS....

NO HOLES IN FRAME TO ATTACH TO WOODEN ARMS ANYHOW!!!

NO ' HOOK' ANYWHERE.

CANT TAKE ANY TIME OFF WORK NOW

BUGGERS BUGGERS!!

THEYD BETTER SEND SOMEONE AROUND TO EFFING SORT COS IM NOT DRIVING ROUND THERE TO EFFING HAVE A YARN WITH THEM!!

FAILING THAT, ILL HAVE TO BUY A EFFING MATTRESS AFTER ALL,
THANK ***** FOR UTES, DONT NEED TO PACK IT ALL UP NICE AND NEAT, SLING THE LOT IN THE UTE ILL BE *****ED IF I AM GONNA PACK IT ALL BACK UP!! EMPTY IT OUT IN THEIR BACK HOLDING BAY, GET A REFUND PLUS DIESEL MONEY PLUS MONEY IN LOST TIME AT WORK PRONTO!! BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERS BUGGERSBUGGERS BUGGERSBUGGERSBUGGERSBUGGERSBUGGERSBUGGERSBUGGERSB UGGERSBUGGERS

BM IN A BAD MOOD AT MIDNIGHT ON SUNDAY

Any ideas?

Old Apr 18th 2004, 3:42 pm
Don
Banned

Badge - you're human.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:23 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god you didn't ring me re the putting it together

Badge, are you sure you read the instructions properly mate
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Insructions are probably written in Japanese! Least you can sleep on the mattress on the floor until the weekend and you can't fall out when plastered.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Bloke
Insructions are probably written in Japanese! Least you can sleep on the mattress on the floor until the weekend and you can't fall out when plastered.
Or the Scots guy walking around with one shoe tied up. 'Why have you only got one shoe tied up he was asked'? Because it said 'Taiwan' on the box.

OzTennis
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Badge at this point in time are you wishing you opted for the mattress?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.