Reload this Page >

Wireless Internet

Wireless Internet

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

IpswichGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wireless Internet

Hi,

Can anyone help. I am loking at wireless internet dongles and they all say that acceptance is subject to a credit search. I have only been in the country for just over two weeks so I doubt I have any credit history in Australia. Can anyone tell me how they went about getting internet and how they got round the credit check?
Thanks in advance,
IpswichGuy
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:52 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless Internet

Hello there, yes we had the same problem, they wanted to see our perm addy on our QLD licences, then they insisted on seeing 4 wages slips, but at the time my OH hadn't been working that long, so they rang his employer to confirm that he was working and that they intended on keeping him... We did offer to show them how much dosh we had in the bank to prove we could pay the for the 24 month contract, but they declined to look. Eventually we did get a wireless dongle, but it was a nightmare, luckly we had a nice sales person who was understanding and went out of his way to make sure we got one. Although can i say, this dongle thing only works when it wants to, total pain in the butt it is and you will need to get the sales person to do an area check to make sure you will get the coverage of where you live.
Not sure if any of this info helps, but just thought i'd let you know your not alone.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:29 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my mate has a dongle she has to have the window open for it to work
and even then it only works when it wants to horrible things them
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

OzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant futureOzzyLee has a brilliant future

I have the "3 Network" Internet key ( same idea as the dongle ). I bought it outright for $250 with a $49 ( 6 gig ) data plan.
I am not tied into a contract and I have just rang them up asking to be put on the new reduced $39 ( 6 gig ) plan, which they did.

Once i've done using it I can sell the dongle on ebay or to another Expat All the new owner would have to do is grab a sim from the 3 store and signup to the plan they want without a contract.

They will still need to do a credit check , however just say you are a student and you will pass the credit check fine. As your not getting the dongle on a contract they have less risk. It is easier to do this once you have your driving license to show them.

If your traveling around they are great. You sometimes get a sucky connection, but for the most part it is fine for general use.

It's a great solution if you need a non perm Internet connection whilst your finding your feet here. Also If you did like I did your not tied to a stupid 24month contract :curse:
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IpswichGuy
Hi,

Can anyone help. I am loking at wireless internet dongles and they all say that acceptance is subject to a credit search. I have only been in the country for just over two weeks so I doubt I have any credit history in Australia. Can anyone tell me how they went about getting internet and how they got round the credit check?
Thanks in advance,
IpswichGuy
Hey there, we were told exactly the same thing - that we couldn't get a contract without a credit check and since we'd just arrived in the country we'd probably fail the credit check.

We told them (3) to go ahead and surprise, surprise we passed the credit check. We have had a Commonwealth bank account for about a year so that probably helped. We'd also recently got our NSW drivers licence and signed up to Medicare but I doubt that would have been recorded yet.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:34 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

It took us bloody 2 months to get a dongle...credits check problems blar blar blar.No history and had'nt got any aussie ID for the first few weeks (just when you really need to be online !!)
We had to provide passport,Aussie drivers license,pay slips,rental agreement etc etc and finally got the dongle.
For the record we are on Virgin $39 for 5 gig per month.The connection does bomb out occasionally but it works pretty well most of the time and is ideal for what we want.Just make sure that you can get a good,strong signal though otherwise they are a pile of poo (i know this because we tried a dongle in the uk and it was crap)

Good Luck

Lee
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

yummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the rough

Hi :-)

We have a wireless dongle through '3' on a 24month contract and we got the dongle when we had been here 3 days! To pass the credit check we needed ID (passport & bank/credit card), proof of employment (contract/letter of offer) and proof of address (tenancy agreement).

Having said that I was recently approved (via credit check) for a mobile contract and I am not employed (unless you count being a Mum!). I needed to show 2 forms of ID and proof of address.

Hope this helps

Helen
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:24 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

we got a dongle no probs i bought it outright , its says 24 month contract but i cancelled it once we moved into rental. They said i could transfer it so if anyone wants to buy it give us a shout x
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tartankoala

We told them (3) to go ahead and surprise, surprise we passed the credit check. We have had a Commonwealth bank account for about a year so that probably helped. We'd also recently got our NSW drivers licence and signed up to Medicare but I doubt that would have been recorded yet.
Your Bank account (a normal savings and current account) has nothing to do with your Credit report and doesnt go on it. Only a line of Credit does ie: A credit card, Loan, Phone Contract etc.

Your medicare has nothing to do with your credit either and your drivers licence is only added to the file to help ID you and make sure they match the right report with the right person.

People with little or no credit history will usualy get a Phone contract or Internet no problem.

Mikey
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:33 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Your Bank account (a normal savings and current account) has nothing to do with your Credit report and doesnt go on it. Only a line of Credit does ie: A credit card, Loan, Phone Contract etc.

Your medicare has nothing to do with your credit either and your drivers licence is only added to the file to help ID you and make sure they match the right report with the right person.

People with little or no credit history will usualy get a Phone contract or Internet no problem.

Mikey
i remember they wanted my bank account details, plus passport number and medicare number, we bought our dongle within a week of arriving and got it no probs but i did have a job and they wanted to know where
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
my mate has a dongle she has to have the window open for it to work
and even then it only works when it wants to horrible things them
Mmmmm i wonder who that is lol...

saying that it hasnt worked since saturday.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

We got the 3 dongle on a 24 month contract, all they asked for was two forms of ID, drivers license. We are self employed and she didn't ask to see accounts or anything, it was just the ID. Give it a go they can only say no
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Jersey Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Optus Pre-paid Broadband. It cost $199 with 2GB, no need to sign a contract and you just top-up every 30 days. It has only been available for 2-3 weeks but ideal if you do not want to go through the hassel of signing contract etc.