Winter Draws On

Old May 2nd 2003, 5:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Draws On

Well it looks like another cold night in Brisbane coming up and time to have another go with the pot-bellied stove. I've tried this twice so far with some firewood bought at the garage and some firelighters. However, to get these big logs going I'm using a pack of firelighters at a time. I'm sure there must be kindling available somewhere, but can't find any in Coles/Woolies or similar. I'm sure I once saw some BBQ coke stuff that you could use indoors. Any one got any experience with these things???
Old May 2nd 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Winter Draws On

Originally posted by jayr
Well it looks like another cold night in Brisbane coming up and time to have another go with the pot-bellied stove. I've tried this twice so far with some firewood bought at the garage and some firelighters. However, to get these big logs going I'm using a pack of firelighters at a time. I'm sure there must be kindling available somewhere, but can't find any in Coles/Woolies or similar. I'm sure I once saw some BBQ coke stuff that you could use indoors. Any one got any experience with these things???

Get yourself an axe, and chop those logs up into smaller pieces so that you can gradually build up the fire, and not go straight from the kindling to the logs. Good way of working of any excees tension as well, smashing logs into smaller bits
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:04 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joebloggs
Get yourself an axe, and chop those logs up into smaller pieces so that you can gradually build up the fire, and not go straight from the kindling to the logs. Good way of working of any excees tension as well, smashing logs into smaller bits

I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve much in the way of physical exertion or danger, having never swung an axe in anger yet..
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

I was hoping for a solution that didn't involve much in the way of physical exertion or danger, having never swung an axe in anger yet..
lots of petrol....just watch the eyebrows!
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

lots of petrol....just watch the eyebrows!

sorry I didn't mean to be facetious....just couldn't help it
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:15 am
Karma Comedian

sorry I didn't mean to be facetious....just couldn't help it

JB, aren't you in Scotland? I bet its colder there at the moment and here's me whinging about getting a fire started.
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

JB, aren't you in Scotland? I bet its colder there at the moment and here's me whinging about getting a fire started.
Actually its not so bad at the moment...not great, cloudy bit of rain, but hell it could be alot worse (and probably will be some-time soon)
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:27 am
Karma Comedian

Actually its not so bad at the moment...not great, cloudy bit of rain, but hell it could be alot worse (and probably will be some-time soon)

Have a good weekend, off home now for the long Labour Day weekend, enjoy May Day in Scotland
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Have a good weekend, off home now for the long Labour Day weekend, enjoy May Day in Scotland

Cheers. Have one on me or three or four if you like....
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

This unusually cool weather is not bothering me but the rain is. 97cm of rain on Sunshine coast at the end of April.

Make the most of the Pot belly stove they are banning them in Brisvegas after 2004.
Old May 2nd 2003, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Pay Per Flush

I am not joking, it appears our local council is going to discuss monitoring properties for how many times they flush the bog. And charging accordingly. I cant believe this is there anything they wont charge for! here.

As half of our land is forest perhaps I shall have to dig a hole in the woods to escape the charges. Can just see me at 3am, busting for a pee and fighting off the shagging koalas that live down there for a bit of privacy.

This country has gone mad.
Old May 2nd 2003, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Do what we did and buy a couple of plug in oil radiators they work well for us last winter and isn't it supposed to be cooler here in Sydney compared to Brissie? We haven't even turned them on yet. they are certainly less messy and the only exertion it involves is pushing a switch! failing that you could put on more clothes!

Mandy
Old May 2nd 2003, 11:39 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hey Jaye,

Not sure about brissie, but down south quite a few servos sold kinding.

Wood is definatly best, weve tried that indoor coal stuff and it made the house stink

Pete.
Old May 2nd 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pay Per Flush

Originally posted by dotty
I am not joking, it appears our local council is going to discuss monitoring properties for how many times they flush the bog. And charging accordingly. I cant believe this is there anything they wont charge for! here.

As half of our land is forest perhaps I shall have to dig a hole in the woods to escape the charges. Can just see me at 3am, busting for a pee and fighting off the shagging koalas that live down there for a bit of privacy.

How are they going to monitor you, mechanical counter at the chain & handle or with a webcam?

Slippers
Old May 4th 2003, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pay Per Flush

Originally posted by dotty

well reading this banter has just made my day... I have not had such a good laugh in ages
Keep it up it's brilliant it's what all us wannabe immigrants need to cheer us up