Reload this Page >

Schools Waiting List

Schools Waiting List

Old May 3rd 2003, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Schools Waiting List

Hi All,

Can anyone shed some light on a subject that has been causing us some concern.

Some of the threads posted here make reference to having the children on a schools waiting list (In some cases years before actually migrating). We can understand this if you know the area you will be moving to, but what if you have yet to decide?

Does this mean that if you move to an area with a good school the children may not be allowed in if they are not on the waiting list?

Is there an automatic right of entry if you live in the catchment area?

All these little details, help :scared:

Sindy
Old May 3rd 2003, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

Hi Sindy
From what I understand from my visits to schools in Perth is that when we visited they gave us a boundary map of the streets they take from around the school. I believe that if you are in the catchment you must be offered a place, so long as your application is in on time. They did seem fairly small catchments. The enrollment date was in July/August so if you were late in your application and they were full then you would be offered a place at the next school with an available place. It is different with private schools people do but their kids names down from birth and some schools are in great demand..a couple we spoke to could offer our 3 year old a place when she was about 14..if we were sucessful with our application at that time. I was looking just at primary level so it may change the further up the years you go? Like here though they have the sibling priority and priority to children in the school if they need to be held back a year for whatever reason. Another thing that suprised me which definitely applies to entry level is you can only put one application in for one school. So no hedging your bets putting applications in for 5 schools for example! made me feel I wanted to be as sure as possible we chose the right school! saying that I was impressed with all I saw (and I am very particular!) Hope that is of some help and I got it right!!!!
Old May 3rd 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Garland

Thanks very much for the info. This is going to give me a bigger headache than I first realised! We are hoping to go over mid August so lord knows what I am going to do! We are heading for Adelaide but don't have the faintest idea of exactly where we will settle........oh poo, more stress, just what I need!

Regards

Sindy
Old May 4th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Sorry this relates to Perth but it might help some. If you move into an area, even if only renting, we were told the local catchment school has to find your child a place except if they are Kindy or pre primary age.

Private schools, you can put your name down for as many as you like as long as you pay the fee to do so. Saying that some you have to put your child's name down early or you stand no chance. However, we were told by one which is known to be over subscribed that they do keep a few "emergency" places for migrants etc., but we got the impression it would depend on said child having a glowing report.

We arrived three weeks ago and our daughter starts her new private school on Tuesday, our son is going to the local primary which has a good reputation and seemed very good.

All the best

Loopy
Old May 4th 2003, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools Waiting List

We enrolled our son (7) at a school 18 months ago, but recently confirmed it and paid $300 enrollment guarantee.

They originally did say they will accomodate those moving to the area, but thought we wouldn't take that risk. It's a private school but subsidised by the state. He'll start at the new term 21st July...
We put the little ones name down as well but it'll be 2 years or so yet for her..

We KNOW its in the area we like.

Mash..

Originally posted by Sindy
Hi All,

Can anyone shed some light on a subject that has been causing us some concern.

Some of the threads posted here make reference to having the children on a schools waiting list (In some cases years before actually migrating). We can understand this if you know the area you will be moving to, but what if you have yet to decide?

Does this mean that if you move to an area with a good school the children may not be allowed in if they are not on the waiting list?

Is there an automatic right of entry if you live in the catchment area?

All these little details, help :scared:

Sindy