Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Winter in Brisbane

Winter in Brisbane

Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter in Brisbane

Can anyone tell me what the winter months are like in Brisbane probably June through to August I would think would be the middle of winter.Does it rain alot? or does it rain and clear up quickly after or are there endless days of clear skys but not too hot?
I have been told that winter in Perth is wet from June to August do not mind ths but is it dull like in the UK or does it clear up here quickly also.
Any info much appreciated.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter in Brisbane

Most of the rain here comes in summer not winter. In fact some winter days - esp August - were so dry the relative humidity was down to 10%.
You have long periods of sunny days, 19-25 degrees, that kind of thing.

I expect ABC will pop up later with some stats for you
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Pollyanna sounds okay to me.!
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:40 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Thanks for the reply Pollyanna sounds okay to me.!
By the time you've bee here a year those wet winter days in the UK will be something you yearn for......I didn't believe it either till now
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
By the time you've bee here a year those wet winter days in the UK will be something you yearn for......I didn't believe it either till now
It's hovering near freezing out there tonight Pollyana, lovely crisp night

I'm off for some stargazing in a mo, how's the light pollution out there? Hey, it makes a change from "Will my cat work in Oz"
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is that because of the heat and humidity or do you just get fed up with the same weather and no proper seasons ?
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:49 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Deadmeat

I'm off for some stargazing in a mo, how's the light pollution out there? Hey, it makes a change from "Will my cat work in Oz"
I envy you deadmeat, just the sort of night I used to love!
Much less light pollution here, even in the cities - far fewer streetlights, and those we have are very weak compared to the UK. Away from the city night really is black, unbelievably so. I've lived in English villages, but even they don't have this total blackness.
I remember going to a planetarium in Hobart where they told me that the sky there is probably the best anywhere for star gazing because of the lack of light pollution.
You should have some good nights staring at the sky here

Oh and PS - don't know about the cat, it might need an adapter - I'd start a thread on plugs if I were you.....
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:52 pm
Home and Happy

Is that because of the heat and humidity or do you just get fed up with the same weather and no proper seasons ?
The humidity is annoying - as is the lack of humidity at times in the winter, air so dry you could slice it.
You do get fed up with it being sunny every day - a grey wet day is a real treat (yes, there are people who will have a go at me for this, but its my own opinion!). I miss the seasons - no real spring or autumn, and you do miss the rain. Months of nothing, or just a very light shower. The deluge lat week is the first real rain I've seen since the storms in January I think.
It is handy as you don't have to change your plans cos its raining, but the attraction of the constant glare of the sun pales after a while.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

OOOOOOOOOOOH I MISS THOSE SORT OF NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I envy you deadmeat, just the sort of night I used to love!
Much less light pollution here, even in the cities - far fewer streetlights, and those we have are very weak compared to the UK. Away from the city night really is black, unbelievably so. I've lived in English villages, but even they don't have this total blackness.
I remember going to a planetarium in Hobart where they told me that the sky there is probably the best anywhere for star gazing because of the lack of light pollution.
You should have some good nights staring at the sky here

Oh and PS - don't know about the cat, it might need an adapter - I'd start a thread on plugs if I were you.....
Sounds good, I'll swap the crisp cold air for a better view of the stars ... I can always nip down to NZ for a bit of mountain air

Best stargazing I had in the UK was close-run thing between camping on The Isle Of Wight for a festival in the middle of the meteor shower season and a spot right on the North West tip of Scotland, my mate actually fell asleep lying on the ground ... well, we'd had a few strong ones

A humbling thing, is the night sky.

I'll give the cat a quick lesson in what furry creatures are liable to reduce his chances of survival and leave him to it I think ...
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kath n kim
OOOOOOOOOOOH I MISS THOSE SORT OF NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!
That's the trouble with bare words, I just can't tell if you're serious
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

The humidity is annoying - as is the lack of humidity at times in the winter, air so dry you could slice it.
You do get fed up with it being sunny every day - a grey wet day is a real treat (yes, there are people who will have a go at me for this, but its my own opinion!). I miss the seasons - no real spring or autumn, and you do miss the rain. Months of nothing, or just a very light shower. The deluge lat week is the first real rain I've seen since the storms in January I think.
It is handy as you don't have to change your plans cos its raining, but the attraction of the constant glare of the sun pales after a while.
Its interesting you say as someone else said to me" but won't you miss the cold frosty mornings?"
My answer was yes but were we live we get so much cloud and endless days of grey miserable drissle.
Having said all that I see your point that after a while the novelty of constant sunshine would wear off.And it is nice to have the seasons I think I would miss that.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

That's the trouble with bare words, I just can't tell if you're serious
Oh I'm serious alright....................
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Can anyone tell me what the winter months are like in Brisbane probably June through to August I would think would be the middle of winter.Does it rain alot? or does it rain and clear up quickly after or are there endless days of clear skys but not too hot?
I have been told that winter in Perth is wet from June to August do not mind ths but is it dull like in the UK or does it clear up here quickly also.
Any info much appreciated.

We have been through our first 'winter' - to us it was like an English summer !
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:02 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

You do get fed up with it being sunny every day - a grey wet day is a real treat (yes, there are people who will have a go at me for this, but its my own opinion!).
You tell 'em Polly! I got off a coach from Bowen in the north of Qld to a couple of grey wet days in Brissie and loved it. After the furnace-like heat of North Qld it was brilliant to be out and about birding during the day without ducking into every patch of shade I could find!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.