Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Winter in Brisbane

Winter in Brisbane

Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:08 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Winter in Brisbane

Originally Posted by tonyk38
You tell 'em Polly! I got off a coach from Bowen in the north of Qld to a couple of grey wet days in Brissie and loved it. After the furnace-like heat of North Qld it was brilliant to be out and about birding during the day without ducking into every patch of shade I could find!

Its so true - it dawned me this morning while listening to the weather forecast that I was grateful it was "only" going to be 30C today! I love the sun and the beach etc but there is a point when a bit of cloud wouldn't go astray!!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most of the rain here comes in summer not winter. In fact some winter days - esp August - were so dry the relative humidity was down to 10%.
You have long periods of sunny days, 19-25 degrees, that kind of thing.

I expect ABC will pop up later with some stats for you
I have put some basic weather info, and the main weather web site links with all the stats, on my web page at:
http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_weather.htm (Saves typing it in to often )

These web sites can give the last 13 months history of Rain, High & low temps, Wind speed, Evaporation, Sunlight Houres, Dew points, etc., for locations all over Australia, including 139 places just in QLD .

I remember my first winter here, standing on the platfrom in a T-shirt, whilst all the other commuters were rugged up against the "cold" But as you stay here longer ... 13-15°C begins to feel cold.

Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:57 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You do get fed up with it being sunny every day - a grey wet day is a real treat (yes, there are people who will have a go at me for this, but its my own opinion!). I miss the seasons - no real spring or autumn, and you do miss the rain. Months of nothing, or just a very light shower.
I felt just the same about living in LA - actually got really fed up after a while with sitting outside in the Jacuzzi every night & always being able to wear light summer clothes.

Yes, I know I'm a weirdo (that's why I live in Melbourne, within striking distance of the snow!)

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Can anyone tell me what the winter months are like in Brisbane probably June through to August I would think would be the middle of winter.Does it rain alot? or does it rain and clear up quickly after or are there endless days of clear skys but not too hot?
I have been told that winter in Perth is wet from June to August do not mind ths but is it dull like in the UK or does it clear up here quickly also.
Any info much appreciated.
hi
I found winter really pleasant. but we only arrived in april so hadnt really aclimatised. we got some strange looks as we lay on the beach and if i went to the shops in short sleeves 9 times out of 10 a local would ask if I was cold. there were a few windy days when I needed long sleeves or my denim jacket.
Night time was a different matter I wrapped myself in a fleecy blanket and sat infront of a fan heater
also when I sent my daughter to daycare in shorts and t shirt I got some 'bad mother' kind of looks as all the other kids were in jumpers scarves and tights.
I cant remember a day since april that I haven't used the air conditioning in the car at some point of the day.
hope this helps a little
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:21 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Winter in Brisbane

Originally Posted by jinxnkay
hi
I found winter really pleasant. but we only arrived in april so hadnt really aclimatised. we got some strange looks as we lay on the beach and if i went to the shops in short sleeves 9 times out of 10 a local would ask if I was cold. there were a few windy days when I needed long sleeves or my denim jacket.
Night time was a different matter I wrapped myself in a fleecy blanket and sat infront of a fan heater
also when I sent my daughter to daycare in shorts and t shirt I got some 'bad mother' kind of looks as all the other kids were in jumpers scarves and tights.
I cant remember a day since april that I haven't used the air conditioning in the car at some point of the day.
hope this helps a little

We arrived at end of August, felt like a lovely english summer morning when we landed and the days were perfect, the locals however were wrapped up, my brother met me at the airport with a beanie hat on and jacket, I saw people wearing body warmers and bobble hats right up until the middle of September. Went swimming at southbank two weeks after we arrived and saw and islander with a large coat on, we were wearing t-shirts.

The rain last week was hilarious, the ozzies have no idea how to drive in rain, they like to drive as close to each other, as fast as they can get away with and with no lights on, they are terrible drivers at the best of times but in the rain its really funny to watch them. The rain was unbeliveable but as I was told about 10 million times a day " WE NEED IT"!!!! In the middle of the downpour saw a lady walking down the street with sheepskin slippers on, (class!) but to answer your question and as already stated, it will rain in the summer and be perfect in the winter.