Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A winge about....... ESTATE AGENTS!!!!!

A winge about....... ESTATE AGENTS!!!!!

Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:27 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A winge about....... ESTATE AGENTS!!!!!

Originally Posted by neil.b
Why not look at the angle of legal or moral practice to turn up uninvited and sell a financial package on the first visit. I know that in the financial credit world, when someone comes to your house, they can only sell on the second or subsequent visits. May be worth checking out with a solicitor, as some offer a free initial consultation.

Good luck.

Neil

That's true, isnt there supposed to be some sort of "cooling off" period?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil.b
Why not look at the angle of legal or moral practice to turn up uninvited and sell a financial package on the first visit. I know that in the financial credit world, when someone comes to your house, they can only sell on the second or subsequent visits. May be worth checking out with a solicitor, as some offer a free initial consultation.

Good luck.

Neil
Really??? Will check this out. Going to make a complete nuisence (you know what I mean) of myself today. Will be calling them as soon as they're open (in 5 mins). They still haven't even taken any photo's of the house! He went on and on about their superb marketing......haven't seen any so far!
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:26 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

How about this approach....

Doorstep selling - your legal rights
If you decide to buy
Always get things you've agreed with the salesperson in writing, ideally on the contract.

If you change your mind
If you change your mind about your purchase, the legal protection you have depends on whether the visit was 'solicited' or 'unsolicited'. You solicit a call if you respond to an advert or ask them to visit.

Solicited visits
If the visit was solicited, and you asked the salesperson to come, you do not have the right to cancel the contract. It's very important not to sign anything until you are quite sure the product or service is what you want and is the right price for you.

Unsolicited visits
But if the visit was unsolicited and you were cold-called (someone called in person or they phoned you to make an appointment without you asking them to) you have around seven days to change your mind - the 'cooling-off' period. You could have longer if the salesperson didn't mention your cancellation rights. You can cancel any contract that you've signed for goods and services above the value of £35.

Unless you need the work done urgently, do not agree for goods to be installed during the cooling off period as you may lose your right to cancel the contract. If you do change your mind, act fast. Cancel in writing and get proof of cancellation - so keep a copy of an email or fax receipt or recorded delivery slip

.....Maybe worth a try or even speak to the Office of Fair Trading or find out if they are a member of the NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents) and threaten them with that one!!!

No matter what the contract is it is there to cover both parties interest if they have stated certain things int he contract and haven't delievred then you have every right to cancel the contract as they are in breach fo that contract.

Just give them hell

Sasha
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:00 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd give your local Trading Standards office a ring too, they've always got lots of advice...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Rip down the sign and call trading standards.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Rip down the sign and call trading standards.
Half the problem bondi - no sign has gone up

To be honest, I have more problems with the arsehole who passed on the details! I'd definitely find out who that was and give them even more grief especially as you are ex-directory.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Half the problem bondi - no sign has gone up

To be honest, I have more problems with the arsehole who passed on the details! I'd definitely find out who that was and give them even more grief especially as you are ex-directory.
You have rights under the data protection act. Maybe a letter requesting that info is a start.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
You have rights under the data protection act. Maybe a letter requesting that info is a start.
How interesting??? Have been on the case all day and I have stacks of rights (get the impression no one likes estate agents). Haven't gone directly to the arsehole, but straight to the manager of the firm, who "will see what he can do". Within the last half an hour the signs gone up (so now I can rip it down) and my details have gone on rightmove (however no photos, and some details are wrong). Why does everything have to be such a struggle??
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Within the last half an hour the signs gone up (so now I can rip it down) and my details have gone on rightmove (however no photos, and some details are wrong). Why does everything have to be such a struggle??
Did they send you a copy of the property details before publishing them on the web? They are supposed to - so that you can check for errors and make sure the descriptions are accurate and contain the info that you want. They should only publish them when you've given your approval and they have subsequently rectified any mistakes/omissions.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Did they send you a copy of the property details before publishing them on the web? They are supposed to - so that you can check for errors and make sure the descriptions are accurate and contain the info that you want. They should only publish them when you've given your approval and they have subsequently rectified any mistakes/omissions.
No got the copy of details today! Its been on the web (minus the snaps) for 3 days! Have asked them when they intend to come and take snaps of the house and they said they're waiting for a sunny day!!!! (it could be a while as we've snow forecast) Bloody agents! fed up with them now and we've just started!