Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (2 years required)

Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (2 years required)

Old Sep 19th 2005, 6:03 am
Just Joined

icehockeyplayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (2 years required)

Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (after 2 years required)

Where you from?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 6:13 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (2 years required)

Originally Posted by icehockeyplayer
Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (after 2 years required)

Where you from?
Native-born Brits are not required to give up their British citizenship when becoming naturalised Australians; they can hold dual citizenship.
The only time it must be renounced is if you stand for election to State or Federal Parliament, when your primary alliegance should be to Australia.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will U give up your citizenship and become Australian Citizen (2 years required)

And it will very soon be three years not two......
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:38 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Polly!!!!

when is it going to be 3 years????????
I knew changes were afoot but havnt been around here much to find out what they are?
Michaela
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Hi Polly!!!!

I knew changes were afoot but havnt been around here much to find out what they are?
Michaela
Hello

Lots of people keep talking about the increase in years from 2 to 3, however if you do it in reverse it is 3 years to become a British citizen (and that is only if you are married to one) or 5 years if you are not.

To be honest, I am not sure what the big deal is being 3 years for citizenship?

Why the panic?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 7:50 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Found the threads....will stop being lazy now, lol
Michaela

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Hi Polly!!!!

Michaela
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

Lots of people keep talking about the increase in years from 2 to 3, however if you do it in reverse it is 3 years to become a British citizen (and that is only if you are married to one) or 5 years if you are not.

To be honest, I am not sure what the big deal is being 3 years for citizenship?

Why the panic?
Its difficult to describe, some of us would feel more a part of the community if we were actually citizens of the country in which we live. Especially if - as in my case - married to an Australian. When you arrive on a spouse visa you usually have to spend at least two years on a temporary visa before you are PR; this is currently not taken into account when adding up the time that counts for citizenship. Thus, while someone who entered in Nov 2003 on a Skills visa can be eligible for citizenship in Nov 2005, someone else (eg myself) entering at the same time on a spouse visa, will not be eligible until March 2008. If this law change goes through, that will become March 2009............ever wonder why I feel that Australia doesn't really want me? I pay taxes, I work for the government, I obey the laws, and I help to support my Australian family, but they won't let me be a real part of their nation.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:11 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Where you from?

I've got South African so if I have to I'd give that up as I doubt we'd go back there to live.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:14 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Native-born Brits are not required to give up their British citizenship when becoming naturalised Australians; they can hold dual citizenship.
The only time it must be renounced is if you stand for election to State or Federal Parliament, when your primary alliegance should be to Australia.
It is not just native-born Brits - people who have naturalised (or registered) as British citizens would not be required to give up their British citizenship on naturalising as Australian citizens, either, and neither would people who are British by descent.

And the requirement for members of parliament to be Australian citizens and citizens of no other country is embedded in the constitution (not in those words, but that is the interpretation that the court has decided on): as far as I know, it does not apply to people who wish to be members of any of the state legislatures.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Where you from?
hope we get an australian passport so i can send my uk one back to the hole it came from.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
It is not just native-born Brits - people who have naturalised (or registered) as British citizens would not be required to give up their British citizenship on naturalising as Australian citizens, either, and neither would people who are British by descent.
There are no UK citizenship consequences for British citizens who become Australian citizens.

However some British Overseas citizens, British subjects, and British protected persons may lose their status (or an entitlement to register as British citizens) if they become Australian citizens.

British overseas territories status may find their "belonger status" in their home territory is affected, depending on the law of that territory.

Jeremy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its difficult to describe, some of us would feel more a part of the community if we were actually citizens of the country in which we live. Especially if - as in my case - married to an Australian. When you arrive on a spouse visa you usually have to spend at least two years on a temporary visa before you are PR; this is currently not taken into account when adding up the time that counts for citizenship. Thus, while someone who entered in Nov 2003 on a Skills visa can be eligible for citizenship in Nov 2005, someone else (eg myself) entering at the same time on a spouse visa, will not be eligible until March 2008. If this law change goes through, that will become March 2009............ever wonder why I feel that Australia doesn't really want me? I pay taxes, I work for the government, I obey the laws, and I help to support my Australian family, but they won't let me be a real part of their nation.
I would hope that they write in some exceptions for people like you, though I'm afraid I wouldn't be holding my breath either.

Like I've just said on another thread, it doesn't mean a great deal to me, only being PR for a couple of months. If I have to wait another year then so be it. I don't especially feel like I don't belong at the moment. But spouse visa holders are a different kettle of fish and must get some special treatment.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:50 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robert cowan
hope we get an australian passport so i can send my uk one back to the hole it came from.
If you intend to visit the UK and Europe it may be wise to hang on to your UK passport, certainly would make it easier and quicker through EU passport control......... just a thought.