Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who will the new Citizenship legislation affect ?

Who will the new Citizenship legislation affect ?

Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Who will the new Citizenship legislation affect ?

We've been here for three years. Two years as TR's and 14 months as PR's. Will we have to wait 3 years to apply for Citizenship ? We are wanting to adopt and can't do it until we are citizens.

Does anyone know who will be affected ?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:30 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will the new Citizenship legislation affect ?

Do you mean who will be affected in general? If so I will be. Was planning to go to Uni but with the changes I may have to put it off for a year or so. So no nuclear science/ Nordic mythology for me till then. ( no thats not what I was going to study)
Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:59 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

So are you going to write to your MP as others have suggested? Folks in your situations (ie with something definite to be lost or impacted upon - spouses included) are in a perfect position to speak up and try to make a difference.

As for me....I will just be moderately inconvenienced so not worth doing anything. Just wait and see what happens.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunlover
We've been here for three years. Two years as TR's and 14 months as PR's. Will we have to wait 3 years to apply for Citizenship ? We are wanting to adopt and can't do it until we are citizens.

Does anyone know who will be affected ?
No-one knows whether the legislation will affect existing PRs or not.

Write to your federal MP, explain your situation, and ask him to raise your concerns with the Citizenship Minister (in particular an exemption for existing PRs).

Jeremy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:46 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
As for me....I will just be moderately inconvenienced so not worth doing anything. Just wait and see what happens.
Me too. We've only been here a couple of months so I would think that even if there is some exception in the new regs for recent PRs, they wouldn't cover anyone as 'recent' as us.

At this stage it's no biggie .....
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Me too. We've only been here a couple of months so I would think that even if there is some exception in the new regs for recent PRs, they wouldn't cover anyone as 'recent' as us.
1. If there is an exemption in the law for existing PRs, it will cover all PRs in principle, who have acquired that status before the law takes effect. Perhaps with a time limit of 2-3 years to apply under the exemption (meaning that those living overseas wouldn't be covered unless they returned quickly to Australia) . We'd need to see the exact wording.

2. Those on temporary visas before getting PR may benefit from the proposed residence concession for people in this situation. Again - we need to see the details.

Jeremy