Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will soon need flight to UK for Dad's funeral

Will soon need flight to UK for Dad's funeral

Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:59 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will soon need flight to UK for Dad's funeral

I can't offer any advice re flights Ren, but I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Take care of yourself ok.
Julie. x
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

jannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura about

In 2008 my father in law was suddenly taken ill. We got the phone call on the Sat morn and flew out Sat night. Went to Flight Centre who got us on Qantas. We were in England for 2 weeks and the FIL was still alive but on life support so we came back as we thought he was going to be on it for months. Less than a week later, he died. We flew back out for the funeral and were there for about a week. So we did 2 trips in the month that cost us a total of $12k. Alot of money, but if you can afford it, then do it. There are some things in life that you have to do if you have the opportunity/means.
Good luck. I hope everything is ok.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:34 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your dad, I'm in the same situation and have to return to England again this week to see my dad before he passes, the doctors have estimated he has 5-10 days left. I had planned to go in August and had booked flights with Emirates, they have changed my flights but charged me an extra $890 for the privelage. That was a booking made directly with Emirates too, no travel agent fees to pay. They also advised that if I need to change the return flight again when in UK there will be another $190 charge.

As far as i know , airlines no longer offer "compassionate" fares like they used to. This one has ended up being almost $3000 but if I had cancelled and rebooked with another airline they would have slugged me $350 in cancellation fees so there was no other option really. i guess this is 'peak' season so they charge accordingly.

I hope you get back in time to spend some time with him.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:52 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
As far as i know , airlines no longer offer "compassionate" fares like they used to. This one has ended up being almost $3000 but if I had cancelled and rebooked with another airline they would have slugged me $350 in cancellation fees so there was no other option really. i guess this is 'peak' season so they charge accordingly.
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I'm not sure that 'compassionate fares' were ever cheap...but they are discounted versions of the more expensive tickets, i.e. those with the most flexibility, lowest/no change fees. Hence the reason I think they might not always be the cheapest option on the day you need to fly.

In a sense almost all fares are in some way compassionate, because they typically waive fees in the event of death or serious illness involving a family member...so it's a bit surprising Emirates is talking about change fees with you, but perhaps you might be able to recover them later if you speak again to customer services. It sounds like most of what they are charging you for is a difference in the fare this close to departure...airlines tpyically wouldn't waive that, just the change fee itself.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Spud I'm sorry I remember you posting about your Dad a few months back.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:33 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your dad, spuddyo
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Ren, very sorry to read about your dad, my thoughts are with you. (((())))
Old Jul 15th 2011, 3:56 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Special thoughts to Spud and family too.

Julie. x
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for you replies and kind messages. Spuddyo, really feel for you.

I can honestly say that I have never regretted the move to Australia, and I don't now, it's just the first time I have really felt the distance.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:20 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Have you thought about airline you have just flown with? As a recent traveler with them they might be willing to help. At the end of the day the money is relatively small versus a life of regret.
Like others, been there done that. Got the call to come ASAP. In Singapore got phoned and told I was too late. Very difficult getting back on a plane with strangers after that. It was BA on staff fare and they were shit. My brother was 12 hours behind me and flying SIA. At checkin he was asked if he was going n holiday, he burst not tears and explained why. Brilliant service and row of 4 to himself.Good luck
Very true. Not sure it's approriate for this thread but maybe this'll help others to cope better on that desperately sad flight home: On my flight back to South Africa on the day of my mum's sudden death I found myself sitting on the plane next to an exuberant old biddy who was returning for a long-awaited reunion. I decided that I wasn't going to put her holiday off to a dark start so I told her I was on holiday too. Strangely her unknowing chirpiness was an incredible solace, helping me to hold myself together at that awful time. Hopefully she went on and had her happy reunion.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

It has been 2 months now since Dad died and I just wanted to post for anybody else that has the same decision to make.

It made things hard in work and at home and it was really hard on me flying again (I have a back condition) but it was certainly worth it. Mum really needed me, much more than even I knew. I was so glad I was there and although Mum is struggling now, I really don't think she would have coped at all if she was left to it.

I stayed for 2 weeks which was probably 3 or 4 days longer than I needed but that time was just spent increasing Mum's confidence and doing a few "firsts" with her. First time down at the social club for Bingo without Dad, first grocery shop etc. She needed somebody to fend off the questions or change subject when it got too heavy, although most people were very tactful and supportive of Mum.

I also had not realised that I needed to go for my kids. They accepted that they could not go but saw me being there as being there for them. I brought an order of service home for them and they asked me lots of questions about the funeral and they were really good about it, comforted that I was there. I had not expected that.

Anyway, settling down to life in Australia again, but have just booked some counselling. I did not go to the doctor for that in particular but I think he saw something that made him offer, so what the heck.

I hope nobody else finds themselves in the same position, but if they do I hope this thread helps.

Ren xx
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
It has been 2 months now since Dad died and I just wanted to post for anybody else that has the same decision to make.

It made things hard in work and at home and it was really hard on me flying again (I have a back condition) but it was certainly worth it. Mum really needed me, much more than even I knew. I was so glad I was there and although Mum is struggling now, I really don't think she would have coped at all if she was left to it.

I stayed for 2 weeks which was probably 3 or 4 days longer than I needed but that time was just spent increasing Mum's confidence and doing a few "firsts" with her. First time down at the social club for Bingo without Dad, first grocery shop etc. She needed somebody to fend off the questions or change subject when it got too heavy, although most people were very tactful and supportive of Mum.

I also had not realised that I needed to go for my kids. They accepted that they could not go but saw me being there as being there for them. I brought an order of service home for them and they asked me lots of questions about the funeral and they were really good about it, comforted that I was there. I had not expected that.

Anyway, settling down to life in Australia again, but have just booked some counselling. I did not go to the doctor for that in particular but I think he saw something that made him offer, so what the heck.

I hope nobody else finds themselves in the same position, but if they do I hope this thread helps.

Ren xx
This made me fill up. I am dreading this day.Sorry about your Dad.Glad that you were there for your Mum.I hope counselling gives you a sence of peace.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:47 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

There is never an easy answer. Sometimes people stay and sometimes they go I guess it depends what's best at the time. Thank you for sharing this mate as it wasn't easy for you
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen

Ren xx
It's lovely that you were able to be there with your mum for those firsts. As Irishbloo says, hopefully the counselling will help with the grief and loss. I know it has always been helpful for me to have someone neutral to share things with.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:12 pm
Chocoholic

I bet your Mum was so happy and grateful that you were there with her Ren.
Again, my thoughts go out to you all.

Julie. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.