Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will My UK PC Work In Aus??

Will My UK PC Work In Aus??

Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Sunshine76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will My UK PC Work In Aus??

Am thinking of shipping my PC over to Aus (just the base unit - not the monitor etc). Was wondering if anyone knows if it will work ok over there?!?

Also, if anybody else has done it, what sort of cost would we be looking at to ship it there??

Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2004, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will My UK PC Work In Aus??

Originally Posted by Sunshine76
Am thinking of shipping my PC over to Aus (just the base unit - not the monitor etc). Was wondering if anyone knows if it will work ok over there?!?

Also, if anybody else has done it, what sort of cost would we be looking at to ship it there??

Thanks
Mine came over by airfreight - £400 approx, with a few other bits and pieces. Works fine (subject to Qlds erratic power supply) and has done for the last year. Get a professional packer to do it - mine was in a kind of cardboard crate, with wooden struts in the corners so it couldn't be crushed.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:18 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

There is no reason why it won't work, and I agree with Pollyanna about getting a professional to pack it.

Two items most likely to suffer damage are the processor and the hard disk(s). Either one could be irreparably damaged by being dropped. Your hard disk is most important to you as you would lose all your data. some people suggest taking it out and carrying it with you, which is an option but whose to say it won't suffer similarly in your bags?
Safest option is to make sure you've got a backup of whatever is important to you.

Having said that, I reckon the risk is low. I had a number of hard disks scattered amongst our boxes and they all still work fine.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunshine76

Thanks
It will work with a new power cord and phone extension. I pulled mine apart and put the bits in my suitcase and bought a new case and monitor here. For packing I used anti-static covering and bubble wrap with silica gel to keep the air dry.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
It will work with a new power cord and phone extension. I pulled mine apart and put the bits in my suitcase and bought a new case and monitor here. For packing I used anti-static covering and bubble wrap with silica gel to keep the air dry.
I did the same, with Hard Drives in hand luggage, and everything was OK.

If you are considering shipping it on it's own, weigh up the cost against buying a new one here

Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I did the same, with Hard Drives in hand luggage, and everything was OK.

If you are considering shipping it on it's own, weigh up the cost against buying a new one here
ABC do you know when the nforce 4 motherboards will be hitting these shores? My PC needs an upgrade and it seems to be the way forward.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 10:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
ABC do you know when the nforce 4 motherboards will be hitting these shores? My PC needs an upgrade and it seems to be the way forward.
I saw something about it being in the first few months of 2005. But i'm not really up to date with things anymore

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:29 am
PommieLeague

I brought over my new(ish) Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 600 by freight with the tft monitor and it works fine. I did have to get a couple of new power cords from Dick Smith but its dinkum alright!
Even the modem cable works in the Aussie phone socket!

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Packed mine in its original box and it got here no problem/ working no problem...though if you're bringing a printer bear in mind you may not be able to get replacement ink cartridges (don't know if mine's an odd model but I have to get new ones sent from Europe) Another problem we had was in trying to get a new compatible video card. grr.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
Packed mine in its original box and it got here no problem/ working no problem...though if you're bringing a printer bear in mind you may not be able to get replacement ink cartridges (don't know if mine's an odd model but I have to get new ones sent from Europe) Another problem we had was in trying to get a new compatible video card. grr.
Not sure why you are having a problem on the video card.