Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working life in OZ...

Working life in OZ...

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough
Default Working life in OZ...

Okay, after another day temping, I'm needing a bit of inspiration from those of you who've started work in Australia...Has anyone landed their (well..my) dream job slathering sun cream onto young surfers?
seriously, how does your working life compare to the job you had back home?
Are you using the qualifications you worked for back in the UK? & Is it what you expected?
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:24 am
Badge

Default Re: Working life in OZ...

Not perfect, in terms of skill sets and clients,

but more money, more flex hours. Laid back culture.

BM

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
Okay, after another day temping, I'm needing a bit of inspiration from those of you who've started work in Australia...Has anyone landed their (well..my) dream job slathering sun cream onto young surfers?
Are you using the qualifications you worked for back in the UK? & Is it what you expected?
More hours, less holiday same pay.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:44 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
same job as the uk, govie car, slightly more money as I negotiated.

Better perks than the uk, long service leave after 7 years and when I take leave I get an extra 17% (think this may be the norm in oz with most companies) in my pay packet and as Badge says much less stressful.

For example I would be driving like a manaic to make appointments in the uk, here if you're late you're always greeted by "no worries" in the uk it would be savage looks.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

A little less money for the moment, however, alot less hours....a lot better conditions, and alot better lifestyle....

Couldnt be happier!!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:48 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
More hours, less holiday same pay.
oh yeah, that's the only downside less holidays, 30 days plus bank holidays in the uk only 20 days here plus public holidays. However I don't care bout that it's nice to go to work in the sunshine instead of that friggin snow