Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will my UK Inheritance money be taxed in Australia

Will my UK Inheritance money be taxed in Australia

Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my UK Inheritance money be taxed in Australia

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have 90k GBP sat in my UK bank which I inherited from my Grandfather last year. I have been reluctant to transfer to Australia as I am a greedy cow who wants as many $$$$ as I can get and as we all know the exchange rate isn't that flash just now.

Someone got me worried this week because they told me that because I didn't bring it within 6 months of receiving it that I would be taxed on it here in Australia.

Anyone know if this is indeed the case.

Much appreciated in advance.
You're a VERY lucky young lady NB... a very lucky, and very lovely young lady... who is now my new bessie frind for life... love you... kiss kiss kiss kiss

Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
You're a VERY lucky young lady NB... a very lucky, and very lovely young lady... who is now my new bessie frind for life... love you... kiss kiss kiss kiss

Love you too Eds
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you've stocked up on the clinique ... and taken advantage of the Myers free gift?

I did TWICE...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - there's a queue here!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hey - there's a queue here!
We ought to get in touch with TV producers and try to get them interested in a My New BFF - The Northernbird edition...

Paris Hilton stand aside!

You want me to pole dance for you NB????

(sorry, foxtel overload alert)
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We should form an orderly line to sleep with NB, I am first.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We should form an orderly line to sleep with NB, I am first.
well if you're first the rest of us can forget it... from what I understand she will be too exhausted after you to do anything other than roll over and go straight to sleep

curses... my cunning plan has been foiled again
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

well if you're first the rest of us can forget it... from what I understand she will be too exhausted after you to do anything other than roll over and go straight to sleep

I will give preference to people I have already met love

Rest of you, form an orderly queue and wait your turn
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will give preference to people I have already met love

Rest of you, form an orderly queue and wait your turn
no wonder people make up stories about and think the worst of us perthites...

I'm thinking we dont do ourselves any favours with our smutty inuendoes...

But what the heck.... ths sun's shining and its so GOOD to be here eh?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:25 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We could divide her into sections - you take a section and so will I, that way it will be equal.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We could divide her into sections - you take a section and so will I, that way it will be equal.
I could feed the friggin 5,000 if you start that game!!!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:40 am

I could feed the friggin 5,000 if you start that game!!!
My breasts could feed Africa alone, we should just divide ourselves out.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:21 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eugene43
You are correct. Example: Exchange rate say 6months ago was $1.60 & now is $2.00 so if you bring the money into oz now you will pay tax on the money you have profited by.On the bright side you have still made a profit so your still a winner.

Eugene, nice name Why is it correct, you make me laugh, who the hell gives you the right to script incorrect information which could be detrimental to an individuals person wealth? What gives you that right?

Is it just that human thingy, the green eyed monster, people hate to see others gaining a bit, doing a bit better? They like to see others having to pay out, so to please themselves?

NorthernBird, read below, good luck, i hate to see people lose money, but when its inherited from a loved one, well you keep hold of it!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=653881&page=2

Originally Posted by brendarover
Right!

You can make an appointment for an interview by telephoning 13 28 61, then find out for yourself.

OK, i have an input. I recently made a enquiry regarding your above statement in person here;

Brisbane CBD
280 Adelaide Street
Brisbane QLD 4000

I made an appointment and had a chat to a human. Not a forum, but a real human. I would have to agree, you are taxed on your worldwide income, so any savings in the UK, you have to declare any interest recieved while you hold Australian tax residency; well you do not have to, but you are supposed to declare any interest on savings. Some do, some do not, the only ay they would/maybe find out is if you bought the savings into Australia, but you could have had a windfall, a gift, an inheritance, anything, but just use your head. They are an organisation the ATO, not the third reich like some on here will try to portray them as? They do share information the ATO and the HMRC, but lets be honest, they have better things to do than to check the savings interest on Aunty Betty's supersaver account?

Forex gains tax for personal reasons is a smokescreen, never heard of it, talk to loads of expats, loads of Brits in the UK, and now the ATO. No such tax, if you have money in the UK, its up to you when you exchange it, if you do not believe me, make the appointment and ask, they will tell you what i tell you. I was curious because my wife, has a five figure inheritance sitting in a two year fixed rate bond in the UK. She was worried about inheritance tax as she recieved it in sterling in the UK while we are Australian tax residents. There is no inheritance tax in Australia, nor forex gains tax for personal money exchange. I told them she did not want to exchange the money straight away because we may or may not return to the UK and she did not want to lose out if she exchanged now, well when she recieved it, then later decided not to spend it so had to exchange it back to UK Sterling. So we are leaving it in Sterling until we decide what to do, if we benefit from a upside in the exchange rate then its because we waited, if we lose out well its because we waited. But we are waiting, not looking for a gain or a loss. If we gain we gain, but not speculating, just not wanting to exchange, its our money, we may leave it in the UK for good. But i repeat, the representitive had never heard of such a tax when moving money. There is one for business, and one for pensions, but NOT for savings.

No wait for the SS to come along!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brendarover
Eugene, nice name Why is it correct, you make me laugh, who the hell gives you the right to script incorrect information which could be detrimental to an individuals person wealth? What gives you that right?

Is it just that human thingy, the green eyed monster, people hate to see others gaining a bit, doing a bit better? They like to see others having to pay out, so to please themselves?

NorthernBird, read below, good luck, i hate to see people lose money, but when its inherited from a loved one, well you keep hold of it!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=653881&page=2
I got hit with a tax on exchange rate gains. The downside of using an accountant in the 1st year. I did challenge it with the ATO but they were adamant that a CGT event had occurred. All the money I moved was personal.

However as there are several rules in play and as this is something the telephone operatives rarely (if ever) deal with they can give all sorts of conflicting advice. Some people get told that it is taxable, some people get told that it is not. I asked for a personal ruling and was told it was for someone making an exchange rate gain when the money was brought in from an account that was opened post intro of CGT and pre intro Forex Exchange Gains Tax.

As the ATO has it's head in the clouds on this, not declaring this sort of gain is unlikely to be picked up and it if was you could argue the point that you weren't culpable.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:09 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

brendarover, did you get out of bed the wrong side? Actually, on both threads, you have slammed somebody and accused them of being jealous - wtf?

If they're wrong, they're wrong, (I don't know either way) but really, is there any need for that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.