Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will my Australian born child be Australian or British?

Will my Australian born child be Australian or British?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

squirrels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will my Australian born child be Australian or British?

Hi there, I am new to this site. I am British and have PR here in Australia, I'm also preganant with my Australian boyfriend and was wondering although the baby will be born here will it also have a British nationality or able to get a British passport?

Cheers:
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will my Australian born child be Australian or British?

Originally Posted by squirrels
Hi there, I am new to this site. I am British and have PR here in Australia, I'm also preganant with my Australian boyfriend and was wondering although the baby will be born here will it also have a British nationality or able to get a British passport?

Cheers:
If you are PR or the father is Australian than your child will be Australia. If you have retained your British citizenship then you can register your child as British by descent.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers:
Your child will be dual-national once you put through all the relevant British paperwork.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you are PR or the father is Australian than your child will be Australia. If you have retained your British citizenship then you can register your child as British by descent.
....depending on how the mother obtained her British citizenship of course...
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, I am British by birth and boyfriend is Australian by birth. When do I need to obtain the paperwork to ensure baby has dual nationality and where do I get this from.

Cheers
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:56 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has British Dad and Aussie mum. As I'm responsible for the Aussie part, and she was born in Australia, I've registered her birth as per normal processes in Oz and also obtained an Aussie passport for her. As far as I'm aware, for her to obtain dual nationality, her dad has to register for her in the UK before she turns 18. It costs a couple hundred quid/dollars (sorry, can't remember which!). If her dad did not apply for dual nationality before her 18th, she will still be eligible for an Ancestry visa as her dad was/is a British citizen.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Fingers crossed that is the case, that sounds fairly straight forward. I hope it's the same if it's the mother is the British party as I know some of these rules are still so archaic that it only applies if it's the male who is the British!!!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, I am British by birth and boyfriend is Australian by birth. When do I need to obtain the paperwork to ensure baby has dual nationality and where do I get this from.
Based on the facts you post, child will automatically have both at birth.

You just need:

- Australian birth certificate (mandatory, but doesn't prove citizenship)
- Australian passport
- British passport
- Australian citizenship certificate (handy to have in case passport ever gets lost).
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
My daughter has British Dad and Aussie mum. As I'm responsible for the Aussie part, and she was born in Australia, I've registered her birth as per normal processes in Oz and also obtained an Aussie passport for her. As far as I'm aware, for her to obtain dual nationality, her dad has to register for her in the UK before she turns 18. It costs a couple hundred quid/dollars (sorry, can't remember which!). If her dad did not apply for dual nationality before her 18th, she will still be eligible for an Ancestry visa as her dad was/is a British citizen.

You may have misunderstood the rules.

- when was your daughter born (month, year)?
- was the father born in the United Kingdom?
- are you married to the father?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:17 am
Just Joined

The child will be born in August of this year, we aren't married, and the father was born here in Au I, the mother was born in the U.K.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:22 am
JAJ
Retired

The child will be born in August of this year, we aren't married, and the father was born here in Au I, the mother was born in the U.K.
Child will automatically be a British citizen by descent. Just get a British passport.

Child will also be Australian by birth (get an Australian passport + citizenship certificate to prove it).
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Thankyou so much for your advice, my parents and family all still live in the U.K so we will travelling over there a fair bit and I know they will be happy to know it'll be a bit British!!!!
Thanks again.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We did this for our daughter born last year. We are both Brits (I was born there but H was not) and are also now both Australians.
H could not pass on his British nationality to our daughter - as he was born overseas- but I could. I just downloaded the forms off the British High Commission website.
Sent her Oz birth cert, my passport and some other docs to get her a passport- the website tells all!