Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I survive in Australia?

Wikiposts

Will I survive in Australia?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

mjkworldwide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will I survive in Australia?

Thanks for all the replies - wasn't expecting so many and I really appreciate the feedback. I know my original post focused on the negative aspects of the move - but this is only because they play on my mind more - I also have a decentish sized list of positives (with learning to sail right at the top!)

I think Slipshot and others hit it on the head saying, 'give it a go... but go with an open mind'. I think a positive attitude can really make the difference between success and failure when trying to settle into a new country. Comparing everything to home will only lead to misery - but it is easier said than done. Its important to hear the positive stories as well as the negative. There are no answers - each individual's experience and circumstances are unique - but I want to be prepared as I can be about the challenges I'll face.

Having grown up in Shropshire, I quite fancy a quieter country life one day - and would probably never want to permantely settle in London. I'm quite keen on Sydney at the moment and with OH family safely down in Tassie.. I think they'll be far enough away to not cause too much trouble!

Although not wanting to put a time limit on things.. I've subconsciously given myself 3 years to settle in. Have other sceptical poms been converted in this amount of time?

Matt
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Talk to any number of year 12 Aussie kids and see what they call it (far worse than a boring wasteland!) - their one aim is usually to escape from it anyway!
I've found the same with Year 12/13 kids in the UK. The whole idea at 17/18 is to get away from the country you're in and travel. Sod all to do with your country of origin.

Anyway it's all irrelevant to the OP
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=moneypen20;6894822]And this isn't?

QUOTE]

Probably, but I don't think calling somewhere boring is as bad somehow

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Oct 20th 2008 at 10:26 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:38 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how much help I can be because I've only been here in Oz (Brisbane) for 6 weeks! But I'm the Pom half of a Pom/Aussie relationship.

We met in London several years ago and were living together, decided to be together forever etc. We firstly decided we wanted to leave London (we'd both been there 8 years and were a bit over it by the end, although loved our time there). We were thinking of moving to Devon or somewhere as we'd both grown up in the countryside.

But in the end we decided to give Oz a try, since we had the option. I guess my situation was a bit different to yours because my OH (now my hubbie) enjoyed living in England so would be quite happy to move back if it didn't work out in Oz. I think that takes some of the pressure off me to settle here.

Like I said, we've only been here 6 weeks but we're looking at it as a big adventure. Don't get me wrong, I'm taking it seriously, and I imagine we'll end up staying here, but it's early days yet. I just knew that since we had the opportunity to move here, I'd always regret it if I didn't give it a go.

Have you spent much time over here before? I'd spent 5 months here previously travelling around the country with OH and felt really comfortable here so that helped.

Oh, and yes I miss my family and friends and I'm sure I will do more when I've been here a bit longer, but for me having OH's family here does make a massive difference. I get on brilliantly with them and it is liking having 'real' family here. I think it helps heaps as it's more like real life. I imagine it's much harder for families who up and move here who are all Poms who don't know anyone here. I've certainly found it great that my OH knows how it all works here and his family have been here to help us out (they put us up when we arrived, we're borrowing their spare car until we buy one, we've had them over for BBQs and been on days out together etc). I think it's great having them around.

So for what it's worth, I'd say go for it. If she's the love of your life, it's surely worth a go I'm having a blast anyway
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mjkworldwide
Although not wanting to put a time limit on things.. I've subconsciously given myself 3 years to settle in. Have other sceptical poms been converted in this amount of time?

Matt
Bit of a case of 'the length of a piece of string'

If you want to be happy, get up and go for it, and make new friends, and you'll be fine. I was settled within a few months and never felt alienated or anything else.

And don't be sceptical - and try not to fall into the same trap I (and no doubt many others did) by talking about 'how good things were back home' to Australians, who really are not that bothered about it. It's a hard lesson but I understand the situation. Better to embrace what is there and live with it. You'll hate the 47% tax, but like the 10% GST!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Why dont you go for a holiday, have you ever been?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

I am a troubled pom. I have issues. Things are on my mind and I need to take a seat on the comfy British-Expats psychiatrist's couch and receive some good advice.

My Australian girlfriend has been living with me in London for the last three years. She is the love of my life and we plan to get married. No problems there - but she wants to move back to Oz within a couple of years. This is non flexible - she's enjoys London but only sees herself settling in Oz. We both have a good life here in London. Close to friends and I see family once every couple of months. I have travelled and lived away from the UK before but the idea of 'permantely' relocating terrifies me. As the months tick by I have started to increasingly worry about coping in Oz. I certainly wouldn't consider moving abroad if it wasn’t to be with the girl of my dreams.

What concerns me most is;

Missing friends
Missing European culture
Feeling geographically isolated - not being in centre of the action
Terrible Oz media
Superficial 'lifestyle' - nothing to get my teeth stuck into

I dread the feeling of being trapped…being in a situation where I can't live with her but can't live without her.

Has anybody had experience of moving from the UK with an Aussie partner (poitive or negative)? Does moving with a native ease things along? Does being around their friends and family (who I get on well with) act as emotional support or does it just cause jealousy and increase the feeling of missing friends and family back home?

I know there are no easy answers but all advice gratefully received

Matt
I understand what you're going through - came here nearly 3 yrs ago, hubby is an Auzzie, I've had a hard time having to sit exams for accreditation, but hey I've passed and life's looking pretty good!
What also helps is I've made some amazing friends and guess what - they're all expats too. It's like back home but with the weather and space!

Also, if you miss Europe and culture, come to Melbourne.
Good luck!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Jokull is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slipshot
Bit of a case of 'the length of a piece of string'

If you want to be happy, get up and go for it, and make new friends, and you'll be fine. I was settled within a few months and never felt alienated or anything else.

And don't be sceptical - and try not to fall into the same trap I (and no doubt many others did) by talking about 'how good things were back home' to Australians, who really are not that bothered about it. It's a hard lesson but I understand the situation. Better to embrace what is there and live with it. You'll hate the 47% tax, but like the 10% GST!
Hello, I'm new here, but I thought I'd chip into the "how long settle in?" question.

I'm newly arrived in Australia, and I've come here to live with my Aussie girlfriend. I've settled in pretty quickly - it helps that I was offered a job here straight away, and having someone on hand to answer "hox does x work in Australia?" helps a lot too. I think it helps too that my job is in Melbourne, whilst my girlfriend was living in Brisbane - I'm not just moving into her Australian life - we're setting up a new one together.

The main thing though is that I've had lots of practice in 'settling in' to new places - I've lived in South Africa for 3 years, and Canada for a year. It took a long time to settle into SA (I was used to it by my 3rd year!), whilst I settled into Canada pretty quickly, and felt at home more or less right away here. Settling in is all about going with the flow, and accepting that some things will be different - rarely any better or worse, just different. Getting familier routines going quickly helps as well - I always look to join a cycling club as quickly as possible - that way I keep up the sport I enjoy, get to meet some locals, and get to know my way around, all at the same time. Anyway, settling in is all about your mindset, and it can take a while to get it right, especially if its your first time. Three years should be enough though!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies - wasn't expecting so many and I really appreciate the feedback. I know my original post focused on the negative aspects of the move - but this is only because they play on my mind more - I also have a decentish sized list of positives (with learning to sail right at the top!)

I think Slipshot and others hit it on the head saying, 'give it a go... but go with an open mind'. I think a positive attitude can really make the difference between success and failure when trying to settle into a new country. Comparing everything to home will only lead to misery - but it is easier said than done. Its important to hear the positive stories as well as the negative. There are no answers - each individual's experience and circumstances are unique - but I want to be prepared as I can be about the challenges I'll face.

Having grown up in Shropshire, I quite fancy a quieter country life one day - and would probably never want to permantely settle in London. I'm quite keen on Sydney at the moment and with OH family safely down in Tassie.. I think they'll be far enough away to not cause too much trouble!

Matt
We're approaching 3 years in jan and it is a good time limit because I'm part of the community now and - dare I say it - even some TV presenters I used to hate with a passion are growing on me!!
You have the right attitude to settle in a new country. Live life as you think it.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:17 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
As opposed to the open sewer which is the UK ?
What a twatish thing to say
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by talbot
We're approaching 3 years in jan and it is a good time limit because I'm part of the community now and - dare I say it - even some TV presenters I used to hate with a passion are growing on me!!
You have the right attitude to settle in a new country. Live life as you think it.
I am even starting to like Mel and Kochie!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
lol, you should be shot!

Mikey
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I don't LIKE any of them, am tolerating them a bit more, I may grow to like some of them in another 3 years but I can tell you who I'll never like - Rove and Bert Newton....esp Bert, he gives me the utter crrrreeeeerps!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Bert Newton....
Is that muppet still alive?

Mikey
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't LIKE any of them, am tolerating them a bit more, I may grow to like some of them in another 3 years but I can tell you who I'll never like - Rove and Bert Newton....esp Bert, he gives me the utter crrrreeeeerps!!!!!!!!
I thought I was alone on that one, cannot stand Rove one bit and I do not understand for one minute why he is popular - just to look at him irritates me, he just isn't funny either.

Molly Meldrum is another one, but I'm not sure he's on that much now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.