Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will flights get cheaper in Jan?

Will flights get cheaper in Jan?

Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

jo_marnes will become famous soon enoughjo_marnes will become famous soon enough
Default Will flights get cheaper in Jan?

Just wondering whether to book our flights now or wait a couple of weeks. Didn't know if flights to Oz are likely to come up in Jan sales or increase in price as it gets nearer the time. We plan to fly in March. Any ideas? Thanks
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will flights get cheaper in Jan?

Originally Posted by jo_marnes
Just wondering whether to book our flights now or wait a couple of weeks. Didn't know if flights to Oz are likely to come up in Jan sales or increase in price as it gets nearer the time. We plan to fly in March. Any ideas? Thanks
Who knows what the market will do - but in my book, airlines prices change daily and always will do as demand also changes daily. And as flights fill up so prices change again.

As with out flights and many others taken in the past, I decide on dates, then look every day and keep an eye. Often you'll find that one day they suddenly seem to go up or down in a big jump. If down, book then. If up, leave it as it means the prices you did see will return but not for a few days.

Just keep looking, as I'm not sure the month of purchase makes much of a difference. The month of travel makes all the difference...
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on my local radio station news last week that 'in the new year' major flight companies will be slashing their fares to, in some cases, 1980's prices. These companies included Emirates and BA (not that I would recommend anyone flying with BA, but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure). We are flying to Melbourne in July and I'm hanging on a bit before booking. Don't have a go if it's wrong though!
Lorraine
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:09 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo_marnes
Air Asia are flying from Stanstead to Perth on July 1st for GBP391.00 one way. (Just did a search)

I keep thinking about a flight to the UK with them.... any one got any comments?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I heard on my local radio station news last week that 'in the new year' major flight companies will be slashing their fares to, in some cases, 1980's prices. These companies included Emirates and BA (not that I would recommend anyone flying with BA, but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure). We are flying to Melbourne in July and I'm hanging on a bit before booking. Don't have a go if it's wrong though!
Lorraine
For what it is worth, current prices ARE 1980's prices, so said the papers the other day. Plus, the airline sale has started already (although every sale is more just trying to encourage people to get on a plane and are equivalent each year), and the main reduction is the fuel surcharge, itself a small proportion of the actual flight cost.

So Sydney with BA was 805 and is now 699. But that's what we are paying for Melbourne anyway, so if you search the airlines you can get cheaper than the usual crew.

I doubt flight prices will change in January at all other than those which already have...
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Air Asia are flying from Stanstead to Perth on July 1st for GBP391.00 one way. (Just did a search)

I keep thinking about a flight to the UK with them.... any one got any comments?
Firstly, you haven't included the charges for checked baggage, meals, seat assignments etc. You can probably add on another GBP40 or so for a 20kg bag + extras.

Then you have a 10 hour connection at the low cost terminal in KL. The airline itself is fine, but the low cost terminal is a disaster area and I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes there let alone 10 hours!

The next problem is as you must book 2 tickets for UK - Aus, if there is a delay or cancellation on your first flight you are in danger of losing your second flight onward to Perth. AirAsia will not accomodate you in such circumstances.

Because they don't ticket connecting flights I think they're only a suitable option if you want to spend a couple of days in KL.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be booking anything until the last minute in case any airlines go broke, its always a surprise when they do, they never say "oh we think we'll have to close down in a week or two", even the staff are caught with it. There could always be some very good last minute deals, there seem to be many in other parts of the travel industry.