Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need to get back to Oz

Need to get back to Oz

Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Default Need to get back to Oz

I am desperate to get home to Australia. I left Australia on Dec 10th to return to the UK as my father who has been very ill took a rapid decline. I made it to the UK in good time and saw my dad in hospital, we talked done crosswords and tried to enjoy our moment. On the 23rd Dec he passed away early in the morning with me holding his hand. I am with my sister here but need to get back to my three boys and wife in Melbourne to be with them at this very sad and difficult time for me. I have organised the funeral and it takes place on Jan 6th but I can't get home for days after that and just want to leave to be with my wife and boys. I want to fly out the day after the funeral but cant get a connecting flight from Hong Kong to Melbourne. My return flight is with Cathay Pacific. Any ideas guys?

Its at times like these you really realise just how far away you are from loved ones both here and back in Australia. TORN
Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need to get back to Oz

Originally Posted by cypry
I am desperate to get home to Australia. I left Australia on Dec 10th to return to the UK as my father who has been very ill took a rapid decline. I made it to the UK in good time and saw my dad in hospital, we talked done crosswords and tried to enjoy our moment. On the 23rd Dec he passed away early in the morning with me holding his hand. I am with my sister here but need to get back to my three boys and wife in Melbourne to be with them at this very sad and difficult time for me. I have organised the funeral and it takes place on Jan 6th but I can't get home for days after that and just want to leave to be with my wife and boys. I want to fly out the day after the funeral but cant get a connecting flight from Hong Kong to Melbourne. My return flight is with Cathay Pacific. Any ideas guys?

Its at times like these you really realise just how far away you are from loved ones both here and back in Australia. TORN
Sorry I don't have any suggestions (other than trying standby but never woudl guess the chances are slim at this time of year) but wanting to say sorry for your loss and I hope you can get back to be with your family asap.

Big hugs
Old Dec 25th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Just checked Virgin Atlantic. Looks like they have some availability. Don't know how it fits in with your schedule though.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 9:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences, cypry; I appreciate how torn you must feel at a time like this but at least you know you did the right thing for your Dad and your sister, too.

Can you get a flight into another Aus airport and then a domestic flight, perhaps? Explain the situation and see if Cathay can help you out.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Try the web site http://cheapticket.co.uk/index.aspx i found it recently and was surprised how many flights that where available at short notice, otherwise try the more usual flights sites, travelocity, expedia etc, you may have to pay a bit more than bargain prices, but how much do you want to get home.

Sorry about your loss, very difficult.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Father Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for your troubles.

Just went to http://www.seatcounter.com where I normally check availabilty and all economy fares are sold on CX from HKG to MEL, with the exception of the flight below which has two seats left in Y.

3 Cathay 163 A330 HKG/09:20a MEL/09:40p

Y is full-fare so that's going to be very expensive.

However the flight on the 9th has one B seat left, which is discounted economy. Don't know your booking class, but have you tried talking to Cathay and seeing what they can do?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help at all, but just wanted to say how very, very sorry I am at your loss; what a horrendous situation to be in. It's something we all will have to deal with at some point, but until it happens, none of us can imagine just how awful it's going to be.

I really hope you get sorted and back to your family soon.

Take care

Lorraine
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry no help with the airlines but just to say how very sorry I am for your loss - the distance thing is so hard to handle at times like these but I am sure you will always be glad that you made it back in time to be with your dad at the end of his life. I hope that you get home soon to be with the people you need to be with now that he has gone. All the best!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

thanks for all your kind thoughts and ideas. I may have a flight in the evening after the funeral but has a 14 hour wait for connection. I think I can do that after all this. Thanks again you are all so kind
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere condolences- at least you got to spend time with your dad. Hope the flight works out. My uncle died two months after we got here and we couldn't get back. It brings it home to you how very far away Oz really is.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Father Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cypry
thanks for all your kind thoughts and ideas. I may have a flight in the evening after the funeral but has a 14 hour wait for connection. I think I can do that after all this. Thanks again you are all so kind
Where's the connection? We might be able to help you with advice for the 14-hour wait.