Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will It All Fall Into Place!!!!!!!!!!!

Will It All Fall Into Place!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 29th 2007, 4:27 pm
Moving to Perth 2007

est71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will It All Fall Into Place!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I didn’t realise how stressful and emotional it can be emigrating!

One minute you are full steam ahead going the next you are questioning your motives for going. And yes you do begin an Australia vs UK debate with everyone you come in contact with. As it stands we are going and the plan is to be in Perth for the last term of the school year. I feel it would be ideal in helping the kids settle to get a term before the summer holidays.
Both I and my wife have secured jobs in Perth while we were on holiday in February, my employer is covering all our relocation costs and my wife has a job lined up at Royal Perth Hospital, so work isn’t one of our major concerns. What has become an issue is getting our visa in place; we started the application for a 136 visa in March and have been informed that due to a back log there are delays with no time scales being quoted. Obviously this does not help our predicament, to overcome this we have asked my wife’s employer to apply for a 457 visa. What kind of time scales would you expect when applying for a 457 sponsored visa?
In the event that we get a visa prior to Sept 07 we still have to sell or rent our property and at present things seem really slow. Add to that shipping time scales, pets etc etc………………..its no wonder message boards like this are so busy!

Anyway just wanted to get that off my chest and say good luck to everyone else in the same limbo land.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:37 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will It All Fall Into Place!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by est71
Hi Everyone,

One minute you are full steam ahead going the next you are questioning your motives for going. And yes you do begin an Australia vs UK debate with everyone you come in contact with. As it stands we are going and the plan is to be in Perth for the last term of the school year. I feel it would be ideal in helping the kids settle to get a term before the summer holidays.
Both I and my wife have secured jobs in Perth while we were on holiday in February, my employer is covering all our relocation costs and my wife has a job lined up at Royal Perth Hospital, so work isn’t one of our major concerns. What has become an issue is getting our visa in place; we started the application for a 136 visa in March and have been informed that due to a back log there are delays with no time scales being quoted. Obviously this does not help our predicament, to overcome this we have asked my wife’s employer to apply for a 457 visa. What kind of time scales would you expect when applying for a 457 sponsored visa?
In the event that we get a visa prior to Sept 07 we still have to sell or rent our property and at present things seem really slow. Add to that shipping time scales, pets etc etc………………..its no wonder message boards like this are so busy!

Anyway just wanted to get that off my chest and say good luck to everyone else in the same limbo land.
Hiya.......
From another limbolander!!!!
Got the visas, sold the house and we are just waiting for completion on the house so we can book our one way tickets!!!!
The house selling is the most frustrating part though!!!!
C x
Old May 29th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Hi there - I hope it all falls into place for you guys.

Just check something out though, I have in the back of my mind something floating around about complications if you have two different visa applications in? I could be talking complete horse poo, but something seemed to trigger a little memory about it in the back of my head.

It might be worth raising the questions on here - just incase your 136 application becomes invalid if you lodge a 457 or something?

My apologies if I'm talking baloney and worry you over nothing, but its probably worth looking into.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:50 pm
Moving to Perth 2007

est71 is an unknown quantity at this point

We spoke with our agent about that and have been told that we can lodge a 457 application in tandem with the 136. You do however have to inform them that you have another application in the system.
If we get over to Perth on the 457 then we have to be out of the country when the 136 is issued.........trip to Bali, Singapore maybe.
Have you any idea on the timescales of a 457?
Old May 29th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

We spoke with our agent about that and have been told that we can lodge a 457 application in tandem with the 136. You do however have to inform them that you have another application in the system.
If we get over to Perth on the 457 then we have to be out of the country when the 136 is issued.........trip to Bali, Singapore maybe.
Nice one - that's your bases covered then. Grand.

No idea on timescales - sorry.

I can reccomend Singapore though - thoroughly loved our short time there.

Best of luck to you all.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

mottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nicemottram is just really nice

We are going to Perth on a 457 and it was approved a couple of weeks ago. Current timescales are estimated around 6-8 weeks for a standard application and we got ours done in under 4. Any questions just ask, good luck with it all
Old May 29th 2007, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Est71

Just noticed you are from Wigan, there is a Lancashire meet on Saturday at the Harvester Pub near the Reebok at Bolton, (check it out in the meet up section).

Sorry I can't be any help over the visa but there will be plenty of experienced and less experienced BE members at the meet who will be more than happy to chat and help you where they can.

Cheers and good luck