Reload this Page >

need to update my cv?

need to update my cv?

Old May 28th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

mattkel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need to update my cv?

Hi there,

Am in the middle of updating my CV! it's in desperate need of some helpful tips, does anyone have some advice on what the Australians expect from a CV? is it pretty much the same as our's? or do they like it more in detail? have heard lots of different things, so if there is someone who has just recently had to do one any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Kel
Old May 28th 2007, 11:44 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need to update my cv?

Hi Kel.
Rule of thumb is keep it short and to the point. Cut out any waffle and if possible gear any cv/resume to the job you are applying for.

We found they are not interested in all your school details just end qualifications so these can be edited.

Bullet points seem to work well and they are big on work experience.

A lot of companies ask for resumes but set a word limit on them so go for the short and sweet approach.

Good luck

Loz x
Old May 29th 2007, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi Loz,

thats great thanks for that will give it a go tonight! my cv is so old it's in desperate need of a make over!
will try the short and sweet approach sounds good to me.

cheers kel
Old May 29th 2007, 6:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mattkel
Hi Loz,

thats great thanks for that will give it a go tonight! my cv is so old it's in desperate need of a make over!
will try the short and sweet approach sounds good to me.

cheers kel
Kel, there have been a few discussions on cvs/resumes before with some useful information (yet somehow i cannot recall what is was)
try searching the Aus forum for the word resume ...this term appears to be more widely used here

good luck
Old May 29th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Go onto my career website and seek website, and they give you examples and you can even do your own and save it with them , then go in and change it in the future to suit job your applying for etc.

sj
Old May 29th 2007, 10:47 am
Just Joined

mervbeng is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I recommend www.advance-yourself.com.au.

This guy did wonders to both my and my wifes UK CVs. I read all the testimonals on the site and through it might be a con but went for it anyway. It certainly wasn't and I believe what he did really help us get loads of interviews and indeed a choose of jobs when we arrived. He recommended things you never think of and it was completely geared to the UK market. It takes about a months of emails and updates back and forward and cost about $300 which is money very well spent from our experience anyway.

Also Melbourne where we live is booming at the moment. There are tonnes of great jobs + you get to work in the greatest city in the world! Except today when it rained from 9-5 reminded me a the dreary days in Edinburgh for 6 months of the year. It will be sunny and 18oC tomorrow - at typical winters day!

All the best. If I can be any more help just post
Old May 29th 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys that a great help, gonna try and get on with it tonight have a million a one things to do but i cant put it off anymore!!

Thanks again
Kel