Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

We've been feeding the birds for a while and waiting for the Tree Frogs and Gecko's to arrive as a couple of mates said you'll know it's home when your sharing it with both. We had a bloke over on Saturday night to quote for a job and while sitting on the veranda chilling with a few beers not only did our first Tree Frog show up but a Gecko popped out from behind the beer fridge, then while we sat chatting a Possum decided to pop in and have a feed of the fruit we leave for the birds.
Looks like our new home is turning into a bit of a wildlife sanctuary. Anyway for you folks still waiting, here's a few pics.
While the outlaws were here the 5 yr old asked me one morning who owned the birds on the veranda and why didn't they keep them in a cage?
I explained that sometimes it's better to see animals in their own environment and such creatures shouldn't be locked in cages. The wife's quite scared now she thinks I'm turning into a tree hugging old softy instead of grumpy gramps
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:25 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

Originally Posted by cresta57
We've been feeding the birds for a while and waiting for the Tree Frogs and Gecko's to arrive as a couple of mates said you'll know it's home when your sharing it with both. We had a bloke over on Saturday night to quote for a job and while sitting on the veranda chilling with a few beers not only did our first Tree Frog show up but a Gecko popped out from behind the beer fridge, then while we sat chatting a Possum decided to pop in and have a feed of the fruit we leave for the birds.
Looks like our new home is turning into a bit of a wildlife sanctuary. Anyway for you folks still waiting, here's a few pics.
While the outlaws were here the 5 yr old asked me one morning who owned the birds on the veranda and why didn't they keep them in a cage?
I explained that sometimes it's better to see animals in their own environment and such creatures shouldn't be locked in cages. The wife's quite scared now she thinks I'm turning into a tree hugging old softy instead of grumpy gramps
very nice what is it that youu feed them iv only got magpies and a kookaburra wich sits out side the window every morning and wakes me up but the call always makes me giggle
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:26 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely pics you big softy..!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Lovely pics you big softy..!!!
love it! you lucky thing!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its such a fabulous spot I guess the wildlife just wants to share it At least they are more peaceful than the children
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

fab pictures, thanks for sharing. how are you finding gympie? i've got an application form for a job at the hospital on the kids ward!

debbie
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:27 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Just showed Jack the possum picture as he is into wildlife (seen as the house hasn't been destroyed by falling trees...ask Debbie) and your house has gone up in his cool estimation for having the tree frog and gekko as well.

We had another huntsman last night does that count and saw a wobagong shark and lionfish fully fanned diving just off our back garden by a few K's or so... does that count as well???

You now live in our fantasy home although the kangaroo was back the other morning at 6am when we left for diving.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:04 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

very nice what is it that youu feed them iv only got magpies and a kookaburra wich sits out side the window every morning and wakes me up but the call always makes me giggle
We just buy a sack of wild bird seed, the feed trays are simply plant pot holders $1.99 from sollys/wharehouse or crazy clarkes the chain is from the same place $1.99 dog tethering chain. Whole lot cost less than a 5 bucks and the feed is about $15 bucks a sack. Bah humbug me tight ?

fab pictures, thanks for sharing. how are you finding gympie? i've got an application form for a job at the hospital on the kids ward!

debbie
I find Gympie very quiet I lived in Cleethorpes before we came out here and after the hustle and bustle of the "last resort" Gympie is like a large village. I find the people down to earth and friendly. I've never not been paid for a job while working in town yet down in Noosa I wait ages for invoices to be paid. People here seem to have very basic principles and it's very much a sort of time warp compared to the U.K. Not in a derogatory way but they still seem to hold family values highly and have respect for their community. Very difficult to sum up when trying to put it into words it just feels like a nice place to live compared to other places I've e lived in and visited.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:11 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

We've had the same "problem" it's a horrible place Australia!!
Attached Thumbnails The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-local-birds-1-.jpg   The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-local-birds.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:17 am

We only get boring black and white birds must be in a coloured free neighbour hood.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by annqldau
We only get boring black and white birds must be in a coloured free neighbour hood.
You need a better aerial we only got black & white ones at the oldies place. Now we've got the full Technicolour version
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:47 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

dont feed the lorikeets seeds all the time, try honey now and again as it doesnt cause damage to the tongue.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:12 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rapitts
dont feed the lorikeets seeds all the time, try honey now and again as it doesnt cause damage to the tongue.
We also feed them Apple, Grapes and Sunflower Kernals as they aren't as hard as seeds.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:32 am
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

The kookaburras really love a bit of minced meat too. We feed our local ones on a daily basis and now they trust us enough to feed right out of our hands. Life here is so different.
Nice pictures there too.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:39 am

We have the trees near by and do see some other birds but never seem to venture near the houses at all.

Don't think putting seed out would make a difference as they just don't come this way. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.