Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:53 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

Originally Posted by cresta57
We've been feeding the birds for a while and waiting for the Tree Frogs and Gecko's to arrive as a couple of mates said you'll know it's home when your sharing it with both. We had a bloke over on Saturday night to quote for a job and while sitting on the veranda chilling with a few beers not only did our first Tree Frog show up but a Gecko popped out from behind the beer fridge, then while we sat chatting a Possum decided to pop in and have a feed of the fruit we leave for the birds.
Looks like our new home is turning into a bit of a wildlife sanctuary. Anyway for you folks still waiting, here's a few pics.
While the outlaws were here the 5 yr old asked me one morning who owned the birds on the veranda and why didn't they keep them in a cage?
I explained that sometimes it's better to see animals in their own environment and such creatures shouldn't be locked in cages. The wife's quite scared now she thinks I'm turning into a tree hugging old softy instead of grumpy gramps
Fantastic hope our garden gets as many visitors, I cant wait to see the birds again
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:03 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Fantastic hope our garden gets as many visitors, I cant wait to see the birds again
We had a turkey living in our garden at our last place and we have a monster goanna living in our backyard here along with about a zillion cicadas. Its deafening outside in the summertime.

Jane
Attached Thumbnails The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-turkey.jpg   The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-goanna.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
We had a turkey living in our garden at our last place and we have a monster goanna living in our backyard here along with about a zillion cicadas. Its deafening outside in the summertime.

Jane
LOL hope you didnt have him for xmas dinner! nice pics
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a couple of bush chucks that mop up the spills when the big Sulphur Crested Cockies land on the feeders. These buggers are like destructive delinquent children they destroy everything they can the one in the pic here is the oldest and he sits in the tree out back and just bites the new growth off letting it fall to the floor. Here's a couple of pics of Gregor Gecko and Terry Tree Frog along with the bloody noisy Colin Cockie
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:32 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: The Wildlife Have Moved In Already

you're just rubbing it in now...
Attached Thumbnails The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-butchirbird.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

That is soooooo cool, I can't wait. Makes me even more determined to live as far out as possible. Never mind the commute, never mind the temps in summer, never mind that the kids will be bored cos there's "nothing there"!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 4:41 am

That's our theory as well Cad never mind the new estate few K's from sea gives us country and animals and birds (without the flu) any day as we dive so don't need beach... .

Now that Cresta has got rid of the related wildlife he will get much more of the native sort... .

How's the peace and quiet going?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

this was in my garden, it nearly doubled in size when i approached!
have never uploaded pics on here before so hope it works
Attached Thumbnails The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-thumbnail1.jpg   The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-thumbnail2.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:17 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We've been feeding the birds for a while and waiting for the Tree Frogs and Gecko's to arrive as a couple of mates said you'll know it's home when your sharing it with both. We had a bloke over on Saturday night to quote for a job and while sitting on the veranda chilling with a few beers not only did our first Tree Frog show up but a Gecko popped out from behind the beer fridge, then while we sat chatting a Possum decided to pop in and have a feed of the fruit we leave for the birds.
Looks like our new home is turning into a bit of a wildlife sanctuary. Anyway for you folks still waiting, here's a few pics.
While the outlaws were here the 5 yr old asked me one morning who owned the birds on the veranda and why didn't they keep them in a cage?
I explained that sometimes it's better to see animals in their own environment and such creatures shouldn't be locked in cages. The wife's quite scared now she thinks I'm turning into a tree hugging old softy instead of grumpy gramps

Wow!
We've been here a year now & i still hav'nt seen a tree frog or a possum,had a parrot feeding off the palm tree over our pool & that was just fab to see! & spotted our first snake(brown) a few weeks ago.

Having all that in your back garden must just be amazing!great for the kids to see, the birds/animals just dont seem to be wary of people at all,have you noticed?

Donna.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:01 am

Ants and spiders are our staple with the odd kangaroo. No lizards in our garden although we do have a cane toad...just can't bring my self to play golf with it or freeze it which seem to be the common methods of dispatch... .
Attached Thumbnails The Wildlife Have Moved In Already-toad.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

if that is a picture of your cane toad, you may find he is not a cane toad at all! they are much sort of fatter, we have despatched alot here.
its very wet at the moment and there are so many noisy frogs and toads out there now! we get tiny green frogs on the windows, they are beautiful!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by karenvirginia
this was in my garden, it nearly doubled in size when i approached!
have never uploaded pics on here before so hope it works
He's a cutie, is it a skink?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:47 pm

He was about tennis ball size the complete toad and when you stroked his back doubled in size...the one the neighbour dispatched xmas eve looked like that as well and he said cane toad. They are all over the garden and road when it rains...haven't seen any little green ones though.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

no, skinks are the tiny tiny lizards. this was about 16 ins long, i thought it was a water dragon/iguana but i've never seen one blow up like that! someone will know.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenvirginia
no, skinks are the tiny tiny lizards. this was about 16 ins long, i thought it was a water dragon/iguana but i've never seen one blow up like that! someone will know.
Bit hard to see cos the pics are small, but it looks like a frilled neck lizard, or bearded dragon as they are sometimes called .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 19th 2006 at 9:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.