Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wife says she does not want to go

Wife says she does not want to go

Old Dec 30th 2004, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Wife says she does not want to go

Originally Posted by SHEETY
It looks at the minute (not looking to far ahead) that she will go but I know I won't here the last of it if it does not work out.
Ahh... but isn't that just a fact of "married" life

Old Dec 30th 2004, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

SHEETY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Ahh... but isn't that just a fact of "married" life
yeah I suppose you should see her buy shoes not a pair in the shop untried!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 8:30 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

Well knew she would do it after the money spent time spent doing all the paperwork she now says she does not want to go.Scared of going to OZ and not getting work and all the money going jesus what the f*&k does she expect? bloke waiting at the airport with keys to a house car in the carpark and by the way you start work on Monday!!! What is it with women are you all happy with your boring day to day grind? I am so pissed off it is unbelievable If it was not for my little girl I would be off by myself and leave her to it.It is not that I am thinking great go to OZ get a big house nice new car and a well paid job have done enough reading of all your posts to know it is not the case so no rose tints this end. I just want to get away from the declineing manufacturing industry here in the UK and go somewhere where it is still growing and maybe not keep getting made redundant soon as an order is filled as seems to be the case here nowadays.

Sorry for the ramblings Guys just need to vent some anger and frustration before the wife gets buried in the back garden now theres a thought!
Dear Sheety
My hubby walked in a month or so ago and announced that he was applying for a job in SA. At first I was really excited about the prospect of it all. Next week he has to take an exam to see if he gets the job, then its interview and medicals and all that. Now, though, the thing I am most worried about is the logistics of it all. The thought of having to pack up a house which contains 3 kids and their associated cr*p scares the hell out of me! If hubby gets this job he has to be there by the end of March, so that is even more pressure on us - we could be without him for some time and all the moving and trying to sort everything out before we join him will all be down to me. It is very un-nerving and i think its more the logistical side of things that is making her panic. I think the advice about getting her on here is brill. I dont visit often, but when I do I spend most of my time reading the threads and making notes. It has been an invaluable source of research. Sit her down with a glass or three of wine and ask her what exactly it is she is afraid of. Answer is the only thing to be afraid of is fear itself. Ive never been to Oz but hubby has and loves it. Thats good enough for me.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet
Dear Sheety
My hubby walked in a month or so ago and announced that he was applying for a job in SA. At first I was really excited about the prospect of it all. Next week he has to take an exam to see if he gets the job, then its interview and medicals and all that. Now, though, the thing I am most worried about is the logistics of it all. The thought of having to pack up a house which contains 3 kids and their associated cr*p scares the hell out of me! If hubby gets this job he has to be there by the end of March, so that is even more pressure on us - we could be without him for some time and all the moving and trying to sort everything out before we join him will all be down to me. It is very un-nerving and i think its more the logistical side of things that is making her panic. I think the advice about getting her on here is brill. I dont visit often, but when I do I spend most of my time reading the threads and making notes. It has been an invaluable source of research. Sit her down with a glass or three of wine and ask her what exactly it is she is afraid of. Answer is the only thing to be afraid of is fear itself. Ive never been to Oz but hubby has and loves it. Thats good enough for me.
Don't know about getting her on here I read through alot of posts on expats too and it even puts me off sometimes. It is things she comes out with sometimes which make me feel thats it! now I am not going e.g looking for a home on the real estate site me I am a cautious kind of guy you know start smallish keep some money behind you that sort of thing, The wife comes out with ''If I don't have a big house I'm not going'' see what I am up against like banging your head on a brick wall. I ask myself is she going to be of any support to the family if and when we are there? I have my doubts.I am trying not to be selfish and force the move it has to be all agree or we stay here and make the most of it Even my little girl can have her say but so far she wants to go (wants to see kangaroos bless her).

Mrs muppet are you just going because your husband likes it? What will you do if you hate it there? Will he pack in his work and come home if you are not happy? And what about the kids do they all want to go or are they being dragged there?These are just a few things that come to mind and think need to be answered for the benefit of all on this site, people need to be brought down to earth a little on here and get them ''rose tints'' off. To me selling up going for six months and coming back again seems a total waste of money and for those who say at least you have given it a go been there and done that before luckily no mortgage or wife back then so no big fuss.

And by the way I am posting all this stuff just to get the other perspective on this emigration thing So it is not all ''going to Australia is the best thing we have done'' It swings both ways and people should remember that.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:54 am
ABCDiamond

yeah I suppose you should see her buy shoes not a pair in the shop untried!
Your wife sounds a bit like mine We have holiday snaps of her standing outside shoe shops from the first visit she made to the UK. She may not have been impressed with the UK, but she sure liked the shoe shops..

Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your wife sounds a bit like mine We have holiday snaps of her standing outside shoe shops from the first visit she made to the UK. She may not have been impressed with the UK, but she sure liked the shoe shops..
Yeah what is it with woman and shoes they don't buzz and swivel around so it can't be that
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:24 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Yeah what is it with woman and shoes they don't buzz and swivel around so it can't be that
It's simple....

The thing about shoes is that they *always* fit, no matter what else goes wrong with your physique - even when you can't do up your jeans 'cos you've put on 3kg over Xmas, those fuschia pink sequinned strappy high-heeled party sandals won't let you down.

And I should know - I've got over 120 pairs of shoes :scared: .

Imelda Marcos just aint in my league....

Anya.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Anya.
Not any more maybe , but once upon a time...... she left 1,220 pairs behind when they hurriedly left the Philippines, looks like she only took 40 pairs with her !!

Old Dec 31st 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anya4oz
It's simple....

The thing about shoes is that they *always* fit, no matter what else goes wrong with your physique - even when you can't do up your jeans 'cos you've put on 3kg over Xmas, those fuschia pink sequinned strappy high-heeled party sandals won't let you down.

And I should know - I've got over 120 pairs of shoes :scared: .

Anya.
Maybe the misses could open a shoe shop in Oz now theres thought going to have to look into this
Old Dec 31st 2004, 12:04 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

...as a woman i have yet to find the answer!
i own a pair of high heel boots, a flat heel pair of boots, 4 pairs of trainers and about 10 pairs of sandals/thongs!!(shoe variety I hasten to add-got a fab couple of pairs in the 'freespirit' sale at meadowhell the other day!)
My mum used to despair of me ever being a 'girly girl', and I havent disappointed!

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
...as a woman i have yet to find the answer!
i own a pair of high heel boots, a flat heel pair of boots, 4 pairs of trainers and about 10 pairs of sandals/thongs!!(shoe variety I hasten to add-got a fab couple of pairs in the 'freespirit' sale at meadowhell the other day!)
My mum used to despair of me ever being a 'girly girl', and I havent disappointed!

Had me hopes up there for a while 10 pairs of Thongs wow
Old Dec 31st 2004, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road

Hi Sheety,

totally agree with you about 'going for six months and coming back again seems a total waste of money'. People must have money to burn if they have that kind of attitude, any way who has that kind of money? One question to you, why do you think Australia is your answer to having a better life? Just because you can go doesn't mean you have to go. If your wife was more open minded and confident about going then I'm sure you would give it your best but she isn't. If you were going to give it your best in Australia you can give it your best in England. Whats the difference?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 9:42 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I know it sounds harsh, but if you're having major disagreements that affect your relationship while you are still in the UK, you will almost certainly take that baggage with you to Oz. Only you two know if your partnership is strong enough to withstand the pressure of the disagreement and the trials & tribulations of setting up home in a new country. Even moving here with full agreement and lots of certainties is not easy on the most harmonious relationship.

Just a thought - but how about both of you going & talking with one of the advisors at say 'Relate'? (what used to be called 'marriage guidance counselling' back in the Dark Ages ). They won't give you all the answers, but they will get you both 'thinking out of the box' about your situation, so that you can see the way ahead for yourselves.

Very best of luck to you both, anyway, whatever you decide.

Anya.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doodle
Hi Sheety,

totally agree with you about 'going for six months and coming back again seems a total waste of money'. People must have money to burn if they have that kind of attitude, any way who has that kind of money? One question to you, why do you think Australia is your answer to having a better life? Just because you can go doesn't mean you have to go. If your wife was more open minded and confident about going then I'm sure you would give it your best but she isn't. If you were going to give it your best in Australia you can give it your best in England. Whats the difference?
Hi Doodle
The wife you see has been through relocation before but she did not have to worry about work or a place to live so she has an idea of what to expect.I assume you came from the UK so won't talk about the weather and being stuck indoors most of the year and when you do venture out somewhere it costs you a small fortune even a cheap weekend away comes into the hundreds of £'s.At least in Australia the weather is better which should allow more time outdoors and I have relatives over there too which is good when you want to go somewhere different we have all agreed not to live on each others door step for this reason so we can house swap good idea hey! AT the end of the day it is down to her to make her mind up whether to go or not That is the decision she has to make and stick to it and not tell me a year or two down the line that she wants to go.(by the way have still caught her looking at houses there on the net so fingers crossed)
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=anya4oz]I know it sounds harsh, but if you're having major disagreements that affect your relationship while you are still in the UK, you will almost certainly take that baggage with you to Oz. Only you two know if your partnership is strong enough to withstand the pressure of the disagreement and the trials & tribulations of setting up home in a new country. Even moving here with full agreement and lots of certainties is not easy on the most harmonious relationship.

Just a thought - but how about both of you going & talking with one of the advisors at say 'Relate'? (what used to be called 'marriage guidance counselling' back in the Dark Ages ). They won't give you all the answers, but they will get you both 'thinking out of the box' about your situation, so that you can see the way ahead for yourselves.

Very best of luck to you both, anyway, whatever you decide.

RELATE OOoooooo not a chance in hell(I hope this post does not sound as if we do not get along it is just the emigration thing thats the bummer).Yeah I know about the stresses it puts people under when they go but believe me she does not need to change countries to stree me out she can do that right here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.