Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wife changed her mind

Wife changed her mind

Old Mar 26th 2024, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife changed her mind

Originally Posted by Supposedwhale
Bit of a long story here, but in short I am 35 male from the UK I met my wife in Sydney in 2012 she is 35 and from Germany, we lived in Germany for approx 2 years before moving to the UK. We always said if the opportunity presents itself we would move to Australia. Recently that has happened, I am a police officer and now WA, QLD and SA are recruiting cops from the UK giving us a lot of choice.

We now have a 3 year old son (so for me the best time to go, he will understand roughly what's going on but he's not in school yet and wouldn't be too disrupted by the change). I started discussing it with my wife and initially she was on board, but now she has totally changed her mind and she doesn't think we should go. She is worried about being so far from the UK and Germany (all our parents are still with us and she is worried as they get older we wont be here for them) she is also worried about the reset on our lives, going from relatively settled (we own a home here with a substantial equity in it and a dog and cat here. We also have some really good friends around us here for support).

She has made some really good points that I cant dispute, missing out on the last years of our parents lives would be awful, as would having our son miss out on that. We also have the issue of me going on to shifts in Aus she will be left on her own with no one around her and no support with a 3 year old.

For me this is a huge deal and I am set on going but I cant go without them and I cant force them to come with me, I am worried at this point no matter what we end up doing one of us will eventually start to resent the other either her to me for pushing it until we moved and she missed the last years of her parents lives or me to her for us not going and then being stuck in the UK for the rest of our lives.

We have tried a pros and cons list and we have tried just talking all the points through but we still end up at the same result her on a hard no me on a hard yes. How have you solved issues like this is there something we can do to reassure some concerns like will it actually be better there than here (everything I read says it will be, is that right or is it skewed) or will our son actually lead a better life?

Any pointers tips or advice would be so helpful.

Cheers.
My partner is German as well and would have done better staying in Germany, in terms of her pension, not being means tested , far better advancement in her profession, close to relatives and Europe, Her German background and training put her in good shape to cope with the bullying and inefficiency of those too often in a top position but it has been hard,
We see very little advantage in moving to Australia these days. Just what would be gained? Very high rents , over inflated house prices, somewhat boring if used to Europe, I wrote a long account yesterday but it was removed, for no apparent reason than speaking the truth. Just close by saying, think very carefully. This is not the country it was in the past and plenty of Australians are increasingly negative with regards to a number of factors occurring around us. Good Luck.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Just a reminder... Although the OP's family is split between staying in Britain and emigrating to Australia, he posed a general question that applies to all families regardless of their possible new homes. What applies to Australia as a choice (and Australia is a huge country, with a huge variety of destinations), probably also applies to other huge countries and varieties.
So what? We can only give experiences of where we have lived and as this is the Australia forum, oddly enough the vast majority of experiences are going to be about Australia!
However if YOU want to chime in with your experiences of living elsewhere then carry on
Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Just a reminder... Although the OP's family is split between staying in Britain and emigrating to Australia, he posed a general question that applies to all families regardless of their possible new homes. What applies to Australia as a choice (and Australia is a huge country, with a huge variety of destinations), probably also applies to other huge countries and varieties.
Although Australia is indeed a vast country, it is uniformly expensive in housing. For example, Perth which until recently was said to be a cheaper option, is now leading the charge across the nation in price rises. Smaller cities/towns of any desirable sense have followed suite. Our worst thought of suburbs are experiencing the biggest rises. This differs from UK , where options remain outside of The South to be able to purchase a house for most people or at least find a more affordable rent. I'm not saying it is ideal, by any means in UK , it plainly isn't, but more options around affordability must surely exist there?
Old Mar 30th 2024, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I think this forum should be titled Whingeing Poms rather than British *Expats*... ;-)

While I agree that the OP faces an uphill battle with his significant other, and will likely need to cave in order to preserve that relationship, I'd still like to attempt the contrarian case for the Australian option.

The OP doesn't make it clear how long the nascent couple spent in Sydney together when they first met. But there must have been some spark not only between them, but also between them and Australia, to make Oz the focus of their initial plans as a couple. Did anything actually dim that prospect, other than distance from respective families?

Yes, property is expensive in Oz, as are trips back home, and it takes awhile to fit in and make friends with the natives. But I've never regretted the move, despite an early forced career change during the GFC, 3 years into the adventure. And while my eldest has "gone back'' to London with her partner for a 3-year-Euro-stint, to pad their resumes, they both feel homesick for Melbourne, and have kept their property here.

The overwhelmingly positive thing that I've found about Australia, for myself, my wife, and my children, is that one is never pigeon-holed, one is never out of new options to pursue, just "give it a red hot go".

And then relax on weekends, on the beach or parkland of your choice.
Old Mar 30th 2024, 8:15 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
Sometimes I think this forum should be titled Whingeing Poms rather than British *Expats*... ;-)

While I agree that the OP faces an uphill battle with his significant other, and will likely need to cave in order to preserve that relationship, I'd still like to attempt the contrarian case for the Australian option.

The OP doesn't make it clear how long the nascent couple spent in Sydney together when they first met. But there must have been some spark not only between them, but also between them and Australia, to make Oz the focus of their initial plans as a couple. Did anything actually dim that prospect, other than distance from respective families?

Yes, property is expensive in Oz, as are trips back home, and it takes awhile to fit in and make friends with the natives. But I've never regretted the move, despite an early forced career change during the GFC, 3 years into the adventure. And while my eldest has "gone back'' to London with her partner for a 3-year-Euro-stint, to pad their resumes, they both feel homesick for Melbourne, and have kept their property here.

The overwhelmingly positive thing that I've found about Australia, for myself, my wife, and my children, is that one is never pigeon-holed, one is never out of new options to pursue, just "give it a red hot go".

I don't think any whingeing comes into it really. The forum is used by people who are all different, have different experiences and expectations, and those give different views. None of them are necessarily 'negative' or 'positive', they are just all realistic.

The original post does remind me a little of one of my first friends in Aus, newly arrived like me. She was there as a young mum of a 3 year old, her husband had this dream that Aus would be better for them and persuaded her to move. She missed her home (Birmingham), her family to whom she was very close, her friends, everything. She lasted 6 months I think. Left the husband, as he refused to go home; she took the little boy and went back as a single mum. Very sad as they were a lovely family, but she was desperately unhappy, and he was determined to follow his dream, whatever the cost.

Personally I wouldn't set foot in Australia again if you paid me, but I know that for many people - like you - life there has really worked out well and I'm glad to see it. The challenge for posters like the OP is to read the whole range of experiences and then make up their own minds as to what they think will work for them!
Old Mar 30th 2024, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, anyone on this forum, who has ever expressed concerns (when contemplating emigrating), regarding 'really' going to miss their family, extended family, friends and home life have, in most cases, never truly settled in their new country.
Whichever country that has been outside of Europe.
They have always yearned for back home - especially when children came along and there was not that family/friend support network.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair to conclude Whingeing Poms most likely in rapid decline as England born population declines through age and smaller numbers entering. Meanwhile those now filling the places from developing world countries cannot believe the fortune that has shone on them.

I do wonder if those of longer standing both born here and from elsewhere will adapt a pose greater than indignation or' whingeing ' and call to account those that have sold out this country or meekly allow the decline to continue ?
Old Mar 31st 2024, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
IMHO, anyone on this forum, who has ever expressed concerns (when contemplating emigrating), regarding 'really' going to miss their family, extended family, friends and home life have, in most cases, never truly settled in their new country.
Whichever country that has been outside of Europe.
They have always yearned for back home - especially when children came along and there was not that family/friend support network.
Very true. But Australia/New Zealand, are special cases being so far. Fine enough when young, but various degrees of a chore when older.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 6:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Very true. But Australia/New Zealand, are special cases being so far. Fine enough when young, but various degrees of a chore when older.
Clearly NZ and Australia are further from the UK than anywhere else, but I think that the practical impact is similar if you're in any "long haul" location (WRT the UK), such as Southern Africa, East or South Asia, or anywhere in the America's. Even from the East Coast US its an eight-ish hour flight (unless you're in Boston), plus check-in time, plus travel to the airport (another 3-5 hours, or more if you have to take a feeder flight, which adds layover time), making a total journey time that could easily be 20+ hours.

And honestly, I would argue that much the same applies to anywhere that is not a "jump in the car (or train/plane), same day journey" away, putting, in my personal opinion, even Spain and Italy, inconveniently far from family in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2024 at 7:27 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Clearly NZ and Australia are further from the UK than anywhere else, but I think that the practical impact is similar if you're in any "long haul" location (WRT the UK), such as Southern Africa, East or South Asia, or anywhere in the America's. Even from the East Coast US its an eight-ish hour flight (unless you're in Boston), plus check-in time, plus travel to the airport (another 3-5 hours, or more if you have to take a feeder flight, which adds layover time), making a total journey time that could easily be 20+ hours.

And honestly, I would argue that much the same applies to anywhere that is not a "jump in the car (or train/plane), same day journey" away, putting, in my personal opinion, even Spain and Italy, inconveniently far from family in the UK.
In the micro sense I would agree. But speaking personally, a four hour flight is no problem. A six to ten hour doable. Where as an eighteen or there abouts is something to be endured and increasingly most un pleasant with the passing years.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

In the micro sense I would agree. But speaking personally, a four hour flight is no problem. A six to ten hour doable. Where as an eighteen or there abouts is something to be endured and increasingly most un pleasant with the passing years.
Agreed! Especially for people who are quite accustomed to the eats1west coast thing in Aus, which is often a 7 hour flight.
People forget that to undertake the entire trip to the UK, door to door, it usually takes around 36 hours, messing around with taxis, security queues, delays, transit stops, reboarding etc etc. I absolutely adore flying, but would think again about doing the trip as the less mobile one gets, the tougher the experience. The only way I would do it now is through Perth on the 17 hour non-stop, and even then its about another 8 or 9 hours to get to the east coast.
When I came home last year I came through Perth, with the shortest possible connection from Brisbane, and it took 36 hours to reach Heathrow.
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Agreed! Especially for people who are quite accustomed to the eats1west coast thing in Aus, which is often a 7 hour flight.
People forget that to undertake the entire trip to the UK, door to door, it usually takes around 36 hours, messing around with taxis, security queues, delays, transit stops, reboarding etc etc. I absolutely adore flying, but would think again about doing the trip as the less mobile one gets, the tougher the experience. The only way I would do it now is through Perth on the 17 hour non-stop, and even then its about another 8 or 9 hours to get to the east coast.
When I came home last year I came through Perth, with the shortest possible connection from Brisbane, and it took 36 hours to reach Heathrow.
Thing being, no matter how tired, I just cannot fall asleep on a plane. (besides a few minutes of dozing which tends to make me feel worse) I'm full of admiration for those that do, and wonder just how much is chemically induced? I deplore the use of drugs for such things, but for the first time have a prescription from my doctor to assist with sleeping. No idea yet if will act upon it.

It must be torture for those living in the Eastern States or even worse NZ.

Will be arriving in Athens , a city have not been to in decades, and as intend to take public transport, will require my wits about me to ensure no mishaps.
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 2:12 am
Home and Happy

Thing being, no matter how tired, I just cannot fall asleep on a plane. (besides a few minutes of dozing which tends to make me feel worse) I'm full of admiration for those that do, and wonder just how much is chemically induced? I deplore the use of drugs for such things, but for the first time have a prescription from my doctor to assist with sleeping. No idea yet if will act upon it.

Will be arriving in Athens , a city have not been to in decades, and as intend to take public transport, will require my wits about me to ensure no mishaps.
I don't sleep much, just doze a bit. I'm an avid reader, and now I don't need to carry a stack of paperbacks can happily read my way across the world with several wines beside my ipad. Thats the nearest to chemicals I get on planes. Nod off for a while, then its back to the book, the map, and the wine for another couple of hours. Rinse and repeat!

Only advice I can give with the pills is to make sure the flight is definitely departing before you take them! I had a friend flying LHR to Florida, terrified of flying, so got some pills. As instructed took them an hour before "departure". Flight was delayed by three hours and they practically had to carry her on board, good thing the crew knew what had happened or she'd never have got there!

Enjoy Athens!!
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Avomine is good for sleeping - as someone who gets motion sick, an avomine will also help lull you off into the land of nod. Equally good for the motion sick are hyoscine transdermal patches which you can get OTC in UK (just one or two) but arent available in Aus unfortunately. They aid sleep too!!!! I usually knit a lot and watch movies, walk around and stretch and get a few hours of kip in as well. I tend to be asleep before wheels up on a good day. Next flight I am going via Melbourne to Heathrow via Perth, my preferred option.
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Giving advice is not whinging, if you do not like the advice then fine but to call it whinging is a big ignorant and rude to say. We bought a home within a few months of arriving in Aus, we both gained good jobs and made friends really quickly with peoples from various continents, we did not even visit the UK for our first 7 years as we wanted to explore Australia which we certainly did that, but for some whatever reason that may be a new country may never be home, I can also say that beaches and parks are not enough for some, we enjoyed doing that type of things at weekends but not really in the summer way too hot and not enough shade plus after a few years we found that a bit boring, that was us but for others it may be the “bee’s knees” and in all of my life here in the UK I have never been pigeon holed, if I/we want to do “something “ we do etc. In my own personal experience no where is perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.