WI in Oz

Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:55 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WI in Oz

Hi folks
My wife would like to know if there's a WI in Oz (qld). I'ved looked on the net and found nothing but expired links.

TIA
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WI in Oz

Originally posted by bored_bean
Hi folks
My wife would like to know if there's a WI in Oz (qld). I'ved looked on the net and found nothing but expired links.

TIA
If I even had the faintest clue what a WI was I might have half a chance of answering .

West Indian?
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:10 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WI in Oz

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
If I even had the faintest clue what a WI was I might have half a chance of answering .

West Indian?
Women's Institute.

They were VERY active in Qld years back, and will probably still be now, but I don't have any up to date info. My ol' Mum used to be a member.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx DUP ... ummmm Ive never heard of them! Doesnt mean they arent here, but I dont know of them, not even in the past (lived here basically all my life).

Any more info on them? What exactly does a WI do? Could they have perhaps changed their name?
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:26 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Thanx DUP ... ummmm Ive never heard of them! Doesnt mean they arent here, but I dont know of them, not even in the past (lived here basically all my life).

Any more info on them? What exactly does a WI do? Could they have perhaps changed their name?
jam-making, flower pressing, knitting, baking, and stripping for calendars to earn money for charity!! (Film: Charity Girls)
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When my mum was a member they were a bit like the Mothers Union - lots of jam making, knitting, tablecloth making, "good works" that sort of thing - often linked to local churches. I'm sure my MIL has mentioned some sort of group, but not being my sort of thing, I ignored it I'm afraid!
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Oh hell! Ok sounds like Qld Country Womens Association type thing! If so, alive & well & thriving in Qld

There are others as well, names escape me right now though.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Pollyana
I'm sure my MIL has mentioned some sort of group, but not being my sort of thing, I ignored it I'm afraid!
Yeah but you just ignore most things your MIL mentions . You'll know all about it when your mattress starts rotting because of the sweat & you will wish you had listened when she wanted to give you mattress protectors LOL.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Qld Country Womens thingy, thats the one!
Sorry, but its just not my type of thing - got ejected from needlework at the age of 12 cos we spent more time watching boys playing rugby than sewing (oops!) Think the MIL will keep me supplied with traycloths etc anyway....!