Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are You Going?

Why Are You Going?

Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:47 pm
Badge

Default Re: Why Are You Going?

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I would echo the above and add that for me personally, the thought of being able to sell our teeny weeny little house here in affluent Surrey, that costs us a fortune each month in a mortgage, then be able to buy a house in WA (near to my beloved sister) twice the size of the one we have here with the equity from the sale of this one and have no mortgage would be such a HUGE financial struggle off my mind.

I want to be able to spend time with my family whereas at the moment all we ever do is work work and more work just to keep our heads above water. I want to be able to enjoy my son not just purely EXIST

Anne
Good for you - huge mortgages are a stress - make no mistake. Australia can be very expensive in other ways - had to say that to keep all the usual bods off my back - but I couldn't face a huge mortgage in the SE. I don't know how people sleep.

badge

Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:49 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

The push factor of leaving the UK for less crime is interesting.

Check out http://www.nationmaster.com/ Quite interesting

On crime and Aus vs UK see:
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/as/Crime
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk/Crime

Apparently, according to this, Australia is the world number 1 on 'Crime victims per capita', and UK is number 3. This category covers robbery, burglary, attempted burglary, car theft, car vandalism, bicycle theft, sexual assault, theft from car, theft of personal property, assault and threats.

If these stats are reliable, then Australia fares worse than the UK per capita on:
Burglaries, car thefts, manslaughter, murders with firearms, property crime victims, rapes, suicide rates (all ages), total crime victims.

But the UK fares worse than Australia on:
Assaults, robberies.

When checking the details you have to click on each crime to get the context and countries listed, and you have to look at the stats as 'List Per Capita' (there is a link to click on each crime).

Of course, it depends how a society measures and reports crime and so on, but a list featured in the Economist was very similar (though probably used the same data sources). Nonetheless, this is some of the only data available and does dispell myths about Australia being some kind of crime-free utopia. Anyone thinking that obviously has not been here.

For individuals, it really depends on exactly where you live now and exactly where you plan to live in Australia. Here in Sydney's affluent Eastern Suburbs we feel very safe nearly all of the time. In Newcastle city (NSW) a year or so ago it felt like the Bronx and we made a very quick exit. I felt safer when I lived in Manchester and Liverpool. Well, nearly.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jun 7th 2005 at 8:52 am.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:05 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by ShozInOz

Apparently, according to this, Australia is the world number 1 on 'Crime victims per capita', and UK is number 3. This category covers robbery, burglary, attempted burglary, car theft, car vandalism, bicycle theft, sexual assault, theft from car, theft of personal property, assault and threats.

If these stats are reliable, then Australia fares worse than the UK per capita on:
Burglaries, car thefts, manslaughter, murders with firearms, property crime victims, rapes, suicide rates (all ages), total crime victims.

Assaults, robberies.

When checking the details you have to click on each crime to get the context and countries listed, and you have to look at the stats as 'List Per Capita' (there is a link to click on each crime).

Of course, it depends how a society measures and reports crime and so on, but a list featured in the Economist was very similar (though probably used the same data sources). Nonetheless, this is some of the only data available and does dispell myths about Australia being some kind of crime-free utopia. Anyone thinking that obviously has not been here.

For individuals, it really depends on exactly where you live now and exactly where you plan to live in Australia. Here in Sydney's affluent Eastern Suburbs we feel very safe nearly all of the time. In Newcastle city (NSW) a year or so ago it felt like the Bronx and we made a very quick exit. I felt safer when I lived in Manchester and Liverpool. Well, nearly.
l have lived in OZ for 32 years and the only one of those crimes that have happened to me was having my bicycle stolen. Crimes such as theft, vandalism and burglary are fairly high in OZ but violent crime and the chances of being a victim of violent crime is low compared to many other countries.
There are'nt any cities or places in OZ like L.A or Johanesburg where violent crime is out of control. MAny parts of OZ have very little crime such as some country areas or small towns while some parts like poor suburbs in Sydney or Melbourne with drug problems have high crime levels. The level of crime you experience depends on where you live , overall l don't believe crime in OZ would be anyworse then the UK, few people in OZ own guns like the USA.

Last edited by aussie73; Jun 7th 2005 at 9:15 am.

Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:47 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ShozInOz

Assaults, robberies.

I would just like to say that this thread was about "why we are going"

I did expect people to start comparing the two regarding crime, etc and I have to say again, "Aus, is no where near as bad as living in Inner London" - now this is just my personal experience.

Having lived in Aus - Kings Cross in Sydney, and Adelaide, it just don't compare from a crime perspective or lifestyle. You get "scum" wherever you live in the world, it just depends on "how much of it" you have to put up with, and here it is far too much !!

Anyway, I think this should just go beck to us peeps that just want to say "why we want to leave".
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:58 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
I would just like to say that this thread was about "why we are going"

I did expect people to start comparing the two regarding crime, etc and I have to say again, "Aus, is no where near as bad as living in Inner London" - now this is just my personal experience.

Having lived in Aus - Kings Cross in Sydney, and Adelaide, it just don't compare from a crime perspective or lifestyle. You get "scum" wherever you live in the world, it just depends on "how much of it" you have to put up with, and here it is far too much !!

Anyway, I think this should just go beck to us peeps that just want to say "why we want to leave".

I did wonder how long it would take before someone started the OZ is no better than uk crimewise etc, but i have been checking out oz news daily and compared to the constant murders etc we have here on a daily news basis seems far less frequent in oz. Of course crime happens everywhere in the world,so lets get back on track and WHY ARE YOU GOING?

Cheers Kris
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:44 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Nobody has said "Just for the hell of it" yet - so I will

me too.......
sue
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:49 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Im going 'cos I want hubby to drive around in a ute...like Joe Mangle ...
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of

I want a better life for my kids, or at least a better one that can be provided for them in Manchester, it would also be nice to be able to afford to buy a house. Personaly I like the outdoor life that Australia can provide and of course there is the weather, the countryside the beaches the people. Oh yes, and I want a big Holden V8.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll resist the temptation to get involved in the crime-comparison stuff, and just say that I think Wongstonn summed it up perfectly in another thread...

To 'scratch that itch!'
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

mandy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going because we've always wanted to, we got working visa's when we were 18 but then decided to be sensible and stay here and buy a house, have kids and do what was expected of us. But the feeling that we wanted to live in Australia never went away.

Then my sister in law moved to Perth and almost 20 years after we'd got those working visas that we never used, we went to visit her and came back convinced that we should live there and that if we didn't do it now we'd always regret it.

I love my life here, I live in a lovely town, the friends I've made since we moved here are the best and I'm going to miss my old life so much but even that won't keep me here, I need to fulfil my dream otherwise I'll always be wondering "what if"!!

The kids say they don't want to go and it's going to break my heart dragging them away from everyone but it has to be done for us and for them !!

Mandy
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

We want to go for our own sanity and to provide the children with a better life.

I grew up in South Africa, so have experienced the outdoors lifestyle. Revolves much more around family spending time together. Now that my children are growing, I see only a short time left to do that, so therefore need to grab the opportunity while it is here.

I hate the weather in England, the winters are far too long and the summers are far too short, that is if we get one. It is usually a few goods days. The weather definitely affects me and hubby.

TV dominates this country far too much, but I think that has a lot to do with the bad weather. Have heard that TV in Aus is really bad, so that is a good thing.

Have a good life here, lovely house, both have brand new cars. However it comes at a price - running our own business, it takes up all our time, all our worry, constantly stressed. This is not how I want my children to remember us when they look back at their childhood.

I am sure we are doing the right thing, we had decided to move away from UK anyway, just happens that hubby's trade has become listed on MODL for Aus. Funnily enough we had talked about emigrating to Aus about 20 years ago, but basically didn't stand a chance then of getting visa. But now our time has come.

Just can't wait to go now !!!

Theresa