Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are You Going?

Why Are You Going?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Are You Going?

Hubbie and I felt we would have a better life here, and it would also be a better place to raise our children. I love the climate here, the fact it is sunny so you want to be outside enjoying it.

Katie
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:50 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g-man
hello we are echoing everyone else for our reasons of moving over, hoping for a more chilled out life

toni
to get away from the bloody traffic and tourists
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by possoms
to get away from the bloody traffic and tourists

here here
toni
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:33 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Er got itchy feet, and it feels like time I should be packing a few boxes again!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Our son is the main reason we are going. He has ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) which means when he is cooped up he bounces off the walls. We went on a holiday to visit my sister-in-law in Melbourne and for two and half weeks solid, we did not have one outburst from him. The whole outdoor lifestyle was made for him. We got in touch with schools over there and they appear to be a lot more accepting of his condition and say that they will tailor his education to meet his needs. Here we have battled to get firstly, his condition diagnosed (which they still won't really do - we had to get it privately diagnosed and the NHS won't accept it!) and secondly, get the special attention he needs. Sports don't play a big part of the culture here and he loves sport, so again, Australia meets that criteria channelling all the energy he has into something positive and to give him something to focus on (something he finds quite hard).

Of course, we all want to go for the usual reasons as well - more laid back, nicer weather, etc. But our son was the main motivating factor - giving him the best possible opportunity we can.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Because I can't stand another 4 years of President Bliar

Oh ... and because I want some adventure and new experiences ... and some warmer weather wouldn't go amiss
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

flynnyman is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Why Are You Going?

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Fed up with life in London.

Crap choice of schools, having to pay extra council tax for that w@nker Ken Livingston, just so that he can exclude Londoners from driving through our area without paying, yet have the front to increase the cost of public transport.

Had enough of being run from Europe, and corpus amounts of illegals living over here, and the fact that we can't send them right home when they are identified as being illegal.

Crime, especially Gun and violent crime, going though the roof, but what really gives me the hump, is how when someone gets life over here, there then put a - "to serve a minimum of nine years" aghhhhhh.

The complete loss of "community".......

Well, you did ask.....
well said jc ive been considering it for 2 years and now the missus and daughter are talking about it so im gonna start the process soon hopefully. one of the reasons ide like to leave england is the pensioners are treated like shite whether you saved or not ,paid in or not and your better of if you never paid in, so thats peoples way of thinking , kids are out of control because of PC and the head cases that run it, so can you imagine the next generation with absolutely no respect or ambition, i dont want to be around to witness it. The picture ive got of australia is vast amounts of space and a country who are standing back and looking at every other countries mistakes and taking note, im not slaggin england because its a great country to live in but i dont think the future looks as rosey as aus.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We have a nice house and have good jobs, kids are doing well in school.

But hey, you only live once and why should we carry on in the rut until our dying days.

We are going to Australia, we are going to the sunshine to live a better, longer life where the days will be full of unknown adventures, just driving a bit further up the road will take us to somewhere weve never been to before. Our kids will thrive in the fantastic lifestyle and live in a country where the opportunies are plentyful.

And apart from anything else I want to achieve more than I have and living in another country and adopting another way of life will give me a full future of living and adventure...

...bring it on.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I'm undecided but coming to the conclusion that we should go. Family support for our kids (my mother and stepfather are there) would be the main reason. That, and me being at a crossroads job-wise.

Anyhow, I was really glad to see that most of the respondents so far have close family ties there already or a really specific reason for going.

I think that the more vague the reasons you have, the more careful you should be about burning your bridges, eg, rent out your house for a few years and rent in Australia, rather than selling up.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I'm here already, but this is why I came here...

Love the weather, the people, the laid-back lifestyle. Love the space, the safety, the security. Love the fact that there are lots of future opportunities for myself and my children. Love the fact that I can now afford a house that's big enough to comfortably house my big family, love the different cultures and things happening here - simply love Aus.

Last edited by G'Day; Jun 4th 2005 at 1:06 am.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Saundee is on a distinguished road

It was the wifes idea and couldnt think of a good reason why not...

But now I'm here - bigger house, great lifestyle, fantastic mates, no crime worries, great community, better job, excellent beer, brilliant weather and year round barbeques.

Still cant think of a reason why not.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

sudds is on a distinguished road

Some great replies, its as if ive wrote some of them......i will add a bit of my own.
I got a apprenticeship, played sport for my country, got married, bought a house, had kids, behaved myself, set up two buisnesses from scratch, sold them to do a job i fancied doing but had no experience, got my arse kicked all the way down the line, felt like i was just keeping my chin above water all the time, brought my kids up with manners now that doesent do them any good in fact i scraped some money together to send one of them off on a adventure holiday only to find out social services were paying for all the young offenders she was with.
Kids cant afford a house some of our friends are borrowing £40,000 to get theirs on the ladder.
The "can do" attitude has turned into a "cant do" one.
All my mates are becoming seriously unable to see the bright side in any thing.
My wife and I need to feel like our kids have a positive outlook to look forward to.
I truly believe that this country has let slip the very things that were fought for in the war.......it is now starting to indoctrinate young and not so young people in a terrible manner through negative media reporting.
Australia might or might not be the land of milk and honey but it will be a good adventure for us all and iff the sun shines then everything feels better anyway.
They are some of my reasons to shift my family round the world.......and if i dont work out i will walk in the pub in 2 years and my mates will say " have you been away, bitter?, anyway what do you think about mortgatge rate going down/up"
p.s......love Britain, sad to feel the way i do about it......anyone else feel the same
Sudd
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:45 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudds
Some great replies, its as if ive wrote some of them......i will add a bit of my own.
I got a apprenticeship, played sport for my country, got married, bought a house, had kids, behaved myself, set up two buisnesses from scratch, sold them to do a job i fancied doing but had no experience, got my arse kicked all the way down the line, felt like i was just keeping my chin above water all the time, brought my kids up with manners now that doesent do them any good in fact i scraped some money together to send one of them off on a adventure holiday only to find out social services were paying for all the young offenders she was with.
Kids cant afford a house some of our friends are borrowing £40,000 to get theirs on the ladder.
My wife and I need to feel like our kids have a positive outlook to look forward to.
I truly believe that this country has let slip the very things that were fought for in the war.......it is now starting to indoctrinate young and not so young people in a terrible manner through negative media reporting.
Australia might or might not be the land of milk and honey but it will be a good adventure for us all and iff the sun shines then everything feels better anyway.
They are some of my reasons to shift my family round the world.......and if i dont work out i will walk in the pub in 2 years and my mates will say " have you been away, bitter?, anyway what do you think about mortgatge rate going down/up"
p.s......love Britain, sad to feel the way i do about it......anyone else feel the same
Sudd

Hi sudds
All the above rings true this country i feel also is going down the pan it seems to be all out to help people that cant or dont want to be helped and sod the rest of us who work hard for a living.

Cheers everyone for your replies

Kris
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:42 pm
newbie (sydney bound)

jayney will become famous soon enough

Well our agent now has all the paper work for main app, lets hope they approve and all is well. Just have to sit back now and wait............

Oh did i forget to say I HATE WAITING!

We are in a wonderful place called Dagenham Kris (why do we want to leave em have you all day).
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sudds
Sudd
Sudds, I have to say that I agree totally with your post and felt exactly the same before we came over here. I now realise that much of the same could be written for Australia.
I too love Britain and am very sad to see all the bad that is happening over there, even sadder to now realise that it is a worldwide epidemic.
Starting to think about what to order when I walk back into that pub.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.