Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:40 am
Just Joined

anth_wib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
What can I say?
I have expressed a view here that some others don't like. I have not posted here for over two months and although I may not ever have been a regular poster I have learnt a lot and read a lot over the past two years. I fully support what the moderator said with regard to this getting personal - I never had a personal attack on anyone and there is only one person on this site who did have a personal attack. As we said some time ago , there is a time to let go and to liken us to people who were involved with the murder of millions is the most offensive thing anyone has ever said to me. Yes, you called me a bigot earlier on, learnt what the word meant and then have changed your tack. This is the personal attacks the moderator was talking about and this is what has sickened me for some time about this site.
I hope that I can still pm people who I have spoken to but I like many others before me have no intention of ever typing another word here.
Thanks to all who have given me advice and to anyone emigrating to Aus then any questions you want to ask feel free to pm me.

ANYA - this is now personal, you put a post on this site about how supportive you are - do you really think you are being that here or do you think you are being downright offensive and insulting. I suggest you think before you speak next time as you have really gone too far. Those with any integrity and sensitivity will agree with this, although may not be willing to say so on this site. As will be the case of some of those who agree with you. To compare me to the SS is unforgivable and insulting.

I hope those who have met me realise that I have been totally misinterpreted here - I realise I was not as clear as I could have been about my views which is why there are some cases where people have been able to nitpick differences. I read many posts like this in the UK and never got involved and all I can say is that my point has been proved here about negativity, and by that I mean the small minded negative whinging - NOT the really important stuff. But hey who am I to judge - apparently I am a member of the SS!!! That's the biggest load of c**p I've ever had to endure in my life and if that is the way this site has become then I for one want no part of it.
Again thanks to all the people who helped us out.
Hope you all find what you are looking for here (or back in the UK if that is what is right for you)
Have to totally agree with you Sunny Sam. You have raised some pertinent issues, which should have been perceived by others as just that, 'issues'.
In my view you have been dealt with harshly and unfairly and to some degree with profanity.I am glad that you did not resort to this kind of behaviour & if you stop posting here you are letting them believe that they are right.
Please just go on posting..ignore those that are insulting.... treat them with the contempt that they deserve.
Best wishes
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

They way this thread has turned out and the way others whether for or against Australia turn out is one of the main reasons why I dont post very often except to ask or answer questions mostly. So I thought I would break one of my rules and say something (I might regret!! )

I think we should shut this thread down whether sunny samantha was compared to SS or not, the similarity was highlighted in amongst all the other heated discussions - what was the point in that? in addition words like "bigot" have also been used - its all very personal and completely unnecessary.

If people want to ask questions others deem to be frivolous dont participate in them. If people wish to whinge/whine call it what you like - read them move on/dont read them ignore them.

Whatever we do we shouldnt make things so personal that people do not wish to post as I for one (whilst not participating) enjoy reading all the posts whether I agree with them or not - I get a good laugh on occassion on others get irritated and shout at the screen

all the best to everyone whatever your dreams
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:45 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Bet Sunny Sam wishes she'd asked whether her TV would work in Oz - she could have saved herself the trouble of taking it, and flogged it in the UK instead. The extra cash could have paid for a couple more casks of wine!

LOL nice one HP!

fancy posting a negative post complaining about negative posts

this thread has made me laugh this morning!

All threads welcome on here, positive or negative, it all helps doesnt it?

laura
x
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:09 am
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my God, what a thread!! I'm new to it all too and have and will probably ask questions that have already been asked/answered. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of researching for myself or an idiot but time to look is an issue. I agree sometimes things are asked/answered that are already posted and haven't found them until you've asked the question. I personally feel daft enough when this happens without poeple telling me so! And it's right sometimes your just having a down/anxious moment and need reassurance that you're doing the right thing. The support I think is ggreat on here from what Iv'e seen. It appears that Brits have a reputation for being whinging poms- I wonder how many Australians or other nationalities/cultures worry about their migration issues or discuss things that are'nt quite satisfactory when they've moved. Are they whinging too?? Maybe peoples perception of whinging poms would change if others didn't call it that. It's all to do with mind set-say something so often about someone and eventually others will believe it! I'm not going to decry anybody's point of view as that is not my place, by the same token neither is it anyone elses. Thanks to Anya for the positive comments "newcomers". Lets try and be more supportive throughout if writing negative comments relieves your stress then go for it, I won't see it as whinging just a need to vent. Good luck everyone with all your dreams. By the way can you get Tampax in Oz, its been worrying me for a period of time now!! Scanny
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:21 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've kept my head below the precipice for long enough. I don't normally get involved in the controversial threads because of the possible flack that may head my way, but for what it's worth, this is my view. Generally ( and I'm already choosing my words very carefully) having an opinion (good or bad) does not a whinger make. And if someone wants to know the price of fish, so what. To paraphrase an earlier post, no-one is putting a gun to your head to read the 'trivial' posts, if they don't interest you or if they annoy you, don't read them.

Waiting to be shot down in flames..................

D D

PS already beginning to regret sticking my beak in!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:59 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
What can I say?
I have expressed a view here that some others don't like. I have not posted here for over two months and although I may not ever have been a regular poster I have learnt a lot and read a lot over the past two years. I fully support what the moderator said with regard to this getting personal - I never had a personal attack on anyone and there is only one person on this site who did have a personal attack. As we said some time ago , there is a time to let go and to liken us to people who were involved with the murder of millions is the most offensive thing anyone has ever said to me. Yes, you called me a bigot earlier on, learnt what the word meant and then have changed your tack. This is the personal attacks the moderator was talking about and this is what has sickened me for some time about this site.
I hope that I can still pm people who I have spoken to but I like many others before me have no intention of ever typing another word here.
Thanks to all who have given me advice and to anyone emigrating to Aus then any questions you want to ask feel free to pm me.

ANYA - this is now personal, you put a post on this site about how supportive you are - do you really think you are being that here or do you think you are being downright offensive and insulting. I suggest you think before you speak next time as you have really gone too far. Those with any integrity and sensitivity will agree with this, although may not be willing to say so on this site. As will be the case of some of those who agree with you. To compare me to the SS is unforgivable and insulting.

I hope those who have met me realise that I have been totally misinterpreted here - I realise I was not as clear as I could have been about my views which is why there are some cases where people have been able to nitpick differences. I read many posts like this in the UK and never got involved and all I can say is that my point has been proved here about negativity, and by that I mean the small minded negative whinging - NOT the really important stuff. But hey who am I to judge - apparently I am a member of the SS!!! That's the biggest load of c**p I've ever had to endure in my life and if that is the way this site has become then I for one want no part of it.
Again thanks to all the people who helped us out.
Hope you all find what you are looking for here (or back in the UK if that is what is right for you)
I did NOT compare you to the SS or say you were a member of that organisation - merely mused about how unfortunate the acronym is (which it is).

As a Jew who lost many members of my own family in Hitler's Death Camps, I am unlikely to insult anyone (even you) by suggesting they are a member of such an organisation.

Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A large majority of people who emigrate to Aus have little or no family there as their support network. Everyone gets low at some point and if you have no family there to snap you out of it, you go where you know there are people in the same situation - Here. Many people use it as their security blanket and I hope to god can continue to do that. When you are sad/homesick/worried etc you need to talk about it or you will go under.

That may come across as "whinging". I personally don't think so. Also, the only people who moan about whinging poms or negative posts are all people who are already there. No one (or very few) people this side moan about negative posts.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Everyone gets low at some point and if you have no family there to snap you out of it, you go where you know there are people in the same situation - Here.
i usually head for the boozer.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:10 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scanny
Oh my God, what a thread!! ...
Poor old Scanny, whatever must she think of us lot?!! And we haven't even told her about the ritual whereby we put newbies' heads down the cyber-loo & flush the chain... :scared:

Originally Posted by scanny
By the way can you get Tampax in Oz, its been worrying me for a period of time now!! Scanny
'Period of time?' Pun intended or not? Good one!

Tampax? Don't recall seeing that exact brand, but there are plenty of other brands available. You will be sorry to hear that (unless on 'special') they are just as expensive as in the UK.

Cheers
Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

When I read threads like this I remember why I hardly ever post here anymore. Its like a cracked record .
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=anya4oz]I did NOT compare you to the SS or say you were a member of that organisation - merely mused about how unfortunate the acronym is (which it is).

All I can say is yes I wasn't going to post anymore but was intrigued to see the response to my alleged membership of the SS. If that isn't what you were implying ANYA then what did you mean? Enlighten me.
As they say 'If you are in a hole, don't spin around'
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:16 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I think this discussion has run it's course.