Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
9 months of full pay is not unusual,
So your employer has to pay you to be off, and also someone to do your job while you are off for 9 MONTHS!! I'm sorry but that is way too much - if you ask your employer right now if they wanted to pay you double time for the next 9 months I think they'd laugh at you.

but the minimum in the UK is now 36 weeks statutory. Not bad at all. It is upto £117.18 now too.
This just changed this month.
Ah OK, changed a bit since I last did payroll in the UK then.

I suppose it doesn't work out too much different to the baby bonus if you are at a place who only pays statutory. Nowhere I have EVER worked has just paid stat though.
I guess it depends what sector you work in. I have always worked in the hospitality/leisure industry - notoriously badly paid

</IMG></IMG>
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'll have to join the unpopular club. As a woman I've never understood why women expect to be paid for having a child and not being at work for xx months. How is that sensible? Why is it expected? How is it fair to the rest of the workforce? What do men or older women get instead?

Gone slightly off topic
I do feel a little the same way, I seem to spend a lot of time taking phone calls for, or staying late to cover for, friends who have school pick-ups to do, or children to ferry to clubs. When you add that to the time spent answering phones and saying "sorry, she's not at her desk right now....." with the unspoken addition "she's outside having yet another fag", I wonder how the place stays afloat.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:20 pm
Hot Cake

yasir.asad is a jewel in the roughyasir.asad is a jewel in the roughyasir.asad is a jewel in the roughyasir.asad is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Ladies & Gents

u forgot the main topic of this thread.

we were discussing abt the less population of Australia.
not abt the babies of u .lol.
i dont knw y moms always involve their children in any topic.

oh

i think if we marry soon this problem can be solved.
is there any for me
lol
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

hrubieszowianka is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

One more question on maternity leave, never mind the main topic
How long is the maternity leave? How long is the job guaranteed by the employer? I'm especially interested in SA. Thanks!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yasir.asad
Ladies & Gents

u forgot the main topic of this thread.

we were discussing abt the less population of Australia.
not abt the babies of u .lol.
i dont knw y moms always involve their children in any topic.

oh

i think if we marry soon this problem can be solved.
is there any for me
lol
A man with no conception of woman ...
poor fool ...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:39 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hrubieszowianka
How long is the maternity leave? How long is the job guaranteed by the employer? I'm especially interested in SA. Thanks!
Many jobs do not offer maternity leave - if you do a search on it there are several long threads
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Ray
poor fool ...
No conception of language either, as he continues to talk in some kind of abbreviated textspeak .....and if thats his best chat-up line, very little chance of conception of anything
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:32 pm
Hot Cake

yasir.asad is a jewel in the roughyasir.asad is a jewel in the roughyasir.asad is a jewel in the roughyasir.asad is a jewel in the rough
Angry Re: Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No conception of language either, as he continues to talk in some kind of abbreviated textspeak .....and if thats his best chat-up line, very little chance of conception of anything

4 intelligent ppl only a small hint is enough n 4 some ppl heavey manuals cant help :P

there r many benefits of using abbreviated text
like u must ve to run ur brain machine to understand the text
it saves a lot of time
n more importantly its a language of new era, u must learn else .... :P
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:34 pm
Hot Cake

Cool Re: Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Originally Posted by Ray
poor fool ...
I dint understand ur pt
can u explain
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:36 pm
Hot Cake

Lightbulb Re: Why is the population of Australia only 20 million?

Originally Posted by hrubieszowianka

i think u r not interested in SA, u r more interested in Materneity leave :P
lol

i think we should start a new topic on Maternity , a lot of ppl gona join if they knw the main topic is Maternity.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yasir.asad
I dint understand ur pt
can u explain
Sorry I only speak English ...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
So your employer has to pay you to be off, and also someone to do your job while you are off for 9 MONTHS!! I'm sorry but that is way too much - if you ask your employer right now if they wanted to pay you double time for the next 9 months I think they'd laugh at you.

You seem to be missing the point, my employer before I left WOULD pay me for 9 months, full pay, and pay someone else to come in and cover my work. This was THEIR choice, so as to keep the best staff. Other wise they could loose a fair few and the job (which was a job requireing skill) may not have been done up to the level it had to be.

Anyway, back to the main point AGAIN, I can't see how people can afford to have kids if they have a large mortgage here (if not then it depends on the people to how well they could live off one wage). This then affects the population.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Im sorry have I jumped back into the 18th century here? so a woman cannot work and have children then? Unless she can save up to support herself in the interim? 1976 was the sex discrimination act.....

Employers do not want to lose highly qualified staff who they may have invested time and money in already, also a lot of the stuff talked about on here is frankly illegal.....

The other question because there are a million Aussies pulling pints in London and the Lake district as we speak........
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Employers do not want to lose highly qualified staff who they may have invested time and money in already, also a lot of the stuff talked about on here is frankly illegal.....

I know it is illegal, but are you saying that it doesn't happen, of course it does.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
Net migration has been on the increase over the last few years.

This article is from a couple of weeks ago...
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...602482931.html

from the article.....

"Meanwhile, Australia's population is growing at its fastest rate in almost 20 years, with imports of skilled workers lifting net migration to a record 179,122 people in the year to September, and population growing by 318,500 to 21,097,148."

You may also want to ref...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Australia

Population growth rate : 1.4% (March 2008 - ABS)

In March 2008, the population growth rate is based on estimates of:

* one birth every 1 minute and 55 seconds,
* one death every 3 minutes and 58 seconds,
* a net gain of one international migrant every 2 minutes and 51 seconds leading to
* an overall total population increase of one person every 1 minutes and 37 seconds.
Has anyone any figures on how many immigrants return home permanently to their departure countries?

Would it be fair to say, as a guesstimate, that perhaps 25% of UK immigrants return home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.