Why Perth?

Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Perth?

Originally Posted by Britishaussie

I'm a bit concerned about this lack of rental properties though, is it just in the Perth area or more widespread? We're looking at areas further south.
I wouldn't say there's a lack of rentals, just that most of them are absolute crap, filthy dirty and old fashioned.

It's all to do with negative gearing and investment properties, buy a crappy house, rent it out, save loads on your tax bill with negative gearing, sell it and pocket the profit.

We are lucky to have a great rental but when hunting around whenever we drove in to the road you would always tell which was the property for rent as it would always be the crappiest house in the street.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

PJ & B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
I'm intrigued as to why so many people on here are keen to go to Perth. Is it the weather, is it the fact that it's full of British expats (not a great draw for me I'm sorry to say, may as well stay in the UK), is it because there's lots to do, cheap houses, great jobs? Or do the relos live there? To me, Perth seems to be an isolated outpost and separated from the rest of civilisation by a little patch of sand called the Nullabor Plain, and involves either a 3 day train ride to the east coast or a 5 hour flight.

I'd love to visit Perth via the overland Indian Pacific from the east coast, which is where we intend to settle, but don't have any desire to live there due to the fact it seems so isolated.

Could anybody sell it to me please, and tell me why they chose Perth rather than the more easterly areas?
Hi

We are off to Perth next month. We personally prefer it to the east coast. Sydney too expensive, Melbourne is lovely, I worked there for 4 months but found the weather pretty much like England. Brisbane, humidity too much to handle. One of things that appeals to us in Perth are the changing seasons. It does rain a lot in winter, but hey we need it!!

We do not feel that Perth is isolated at all, it has everything you need, and dont think we will feel the need to keep popping over to the east coast. I live 18 miles from Central London and rarely visit.

We have 3 children and we are not into nightclubs (too old 38), nightlife is not a big issue. Perth has lots to offer families, it has beautiful parks, clean beaches, great schools, excellent job opportunities and the people are really friendly and helpful.

At the end of the day, its personal choice, we found what we were looking for in Perth.

B
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:54 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

When my parents immigrated to Perth back in 1983 (taking me then aged 8 and my Brother 7 with them) it was mainly because they had friends who were sponsoring them there, but after seeing Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane - I definately think Perth is the best!

We have a small city, but nothing makes me more emotional than touching down in Perth and seeing the sky scrapers (like all 4 or something of them) from the plane window! I love the greenery (yes - not as green as England...but who cares, it's not meant to be England) I love the shimmering heat from the tarmac, I love my brownes Coffee Chill (my Dad has one waiting for me when I come through Arrivals!)

I miss Perth! I miss Whitfords City Shopping centre (where I used to work)

I miss the beach - the 460 bus route would take me past miles of glittering coast line. I miss Catalogues that come out on a regular basis! I miss BBQ's, VB, Aussie Accents, Aussie Christmas's & Sunshine.

Ohhh no, now I feel really homesick
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:57 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

mmmm Brownes Choc Chill!!

Either that or Mocha!

Yum - better that the stodgy Yulp gulp crap in England -
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
When my parents immigrated to Perth back in 1983 (taking me then aged 8 and my Brother 7 with them) it was mainly because they had friends who were sponsoring them there, but after seeing Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane - I definately think Perth is the best!

We have a small city, but nothing makes me more emotional than touching down in Perth and seeing the sky scrapers (like all 4 or something of them) from the plane window! I love the greenery (yes - not as green as England...but who cares, it's not meant to be England) I love the shimmering heat from the tarmac, I love my brownes Coffee Chill (my Dad has one waiting for me when I come through Arrivals!)

I miss Perth! I miss Whitfords City Shopping centre (where I used to work)

I miss the beach - the 460 bus route would take me past miles of glittering coast line. I miss Catalogues that come out on a regular basis! I miss BBQ's, VB, Aussie Accents, Aussie Christmas's & Sunshine.

Ohhh no, now I feel really homesick
Nothing like a bit of nostalgia to make you really depressed ...
I'm the opposite of you, parents emigrated to Australia, had me and my brother and sister, then took us all home when I was 3 so lived the rest of my life in England (mother got lonely and didn't like the heat . I was too young to really remember much about Australia so feel a bit peeved that I never got the chance to get to know the place before being dragged to the UK. And now I'm nearly 40 I want to go back and see what I've missed out on. Perth/WA is definitely on our list of potential places to settle.