Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Perth Plumbers? Need advise!!

Any Perth Plumbers? Need advise!!

Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Any Perth Plumbers? Need advise!!

Hi everyone!
I won't bore anyone with the details, but if you see some of my other posts its been a while since I was on here!
Basically, I returned back to the UK after not being able to find work in Feb 2004. Now Oct 2005, and have realised that maybe that wasn't such a great idea!! Looking to go back in 2006 (talking my wife round permitting!!!) I also realise now that maybe I didn't really try hard enough to find plumbing work - no, I REALLY didn't try hard enough!! I have let my tradesmans licence expire, so have emailed them to (hopefully and simply!!!!) renew it - but after 2 attempts nothing received back!! Hopefully I shall be able to get my Plumbing Licence when (if!!) we return as I would then have just over 6 years experience. Does anyone know if I can get my gas licence on a tradesmans licence or does it have to be on a plumbers licence? I know that I can't be too picky on work - I'll really do anything plumbing related, at least to get some experience/feet in the door ( oh, and I'm bloody good too!!!!)
Love to hear how Pom plumbers made it in the Aussie world, and from anyone else who wants to have their 5 cents worth!! I've missed the forum, I think its a wealth of information and help, and some great people too!!
Look forward to your replies,
Dan
Ps Going back to Australia will be at the 3rd and final attempt!!!!!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Perth Plumbers? Need advise!!

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Hi everyone!
I won't bore anyone with the details, but if you see some of my other posts its been a while since I was on here!
Basically, I returned back to the UK after not being able to find work in Feb 2004. Now Oct 2005, and have realised that maybe that wasn't such a great idea!! Looking to go back in 2006 (talking my wife round permitting!!!) I also realise now that maybe I didn't really try hard enough to find plumbing work - no, I REALLY didn't try hard enough!! I have let my tradesmans licence expire, so have emailed them to (hopefully and simply!!!!) renew it - but after 2 attempts nothing received back!! Hopefully I shall be able to get my Plumbing Licence when (if!!) we return as I would then have just over 6 years experience. Does anyone know if I can get my gas licence on a tradesmans licence or does it have to be on a plumbers licence? I know that I can't be too picky on work - I'll really do anything plumbing related, at least to get some experience/feet in the door ( oh, and I'm bloody good too!!!!)
Love to hear how Pom plumbers made it in the Aussie world, and from anyone else who wants to have their 5 cents worth!! I've missed the forum, I think its a wealth of information and help, and some great people too!!
Look forward to your replies,
Dan
Ps Going back to Australia will be at the 3rd and final attempt!!!!!!
Well i did PM you, but you are obviously not interested in Bunbury, so if any one is, the company my hubby works for is up for sponsoring another plumber form UK. WE got sponsored and got PR, they are good to work for , and you start off at 43,000 , if you are interested, i will give you the company number to ring them and get the ball rolling. Denise
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:02 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan..

I got your e-mail on Friday, but had a busy weekend and forgot to reply.

You need to get your gas licence separately from your tradesman's licence.
You need to do a short TAFE course to get it. Midland & Fremantle TAFE's do them.

Work wise, there's loads out there, but as usual the established "cream boys" have all the best, well paid work all sewn up.
You can work for one of the many maintenance companies, but they have you constantly on the end of a radio, & monitor where you are / what you've done / how fast you've done it, every second of the day!
I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than work for one of them!

I got my own ABN & worked as a subbie for a long time. Never liked it though, what with WA plumbing, & plumbing techniques being ridiculously outdated!!
I was doing some work for a Plumber who was getting all excited about, "this new stuff called Acorn Pipe"!!
I had to explain to him that in 1976 Acorn pipe was new stuff, but not in 2004!

Fate intervened with me however, when round about this time last year, a ladder collapsed under me & I broke my back!
Months of rehabilitation later, I'm pretty much back to normal but can never work as a Plumber again....

Fate is a funny thing though, cos my mate Tony, (who I was working with when I had the accident) started working with another guy, 'Bill' while I was in hospital. He'd previously been building swimming pools in Melbourne for the last 25 years.

All 3 of us hatched a plan which eventually became the 3 way partnership, "Aquability Pools" with me doing more in the way of management rather than the physical side of things.

So there you go! I'd come back out to Oz if I was you cos you know that the lifestyle is a lot better & you won't necessarily end up working as a Plumber!

Who knows what the future holds for you?
I'm living proof of that!!

Cheers... John....
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hey Dan..

You need to do a short TAFE course to get it. Midland & Fremantle TAFE's do them.

Work wise, there's loads out there, but as usual the established "cream boys" have all the best, well paid work all sewn up.
You can work for one of the many maintenance companies, but they have you constantly on the end of a radio, & monitor where you are / what you've done / how fast you've done it, every second of the day!

I got my own ABN & worked as a subbie for a long time. Never liked it though, what with WA plumbing, & plumbing techniques being ridiculously outdated!!
I was doing some work for a Plumber who was getting all excited about, "this new stuff called Acorn Pipe"!!

Fate intervened with me however, when round about this time last year, a ladder collapsed under me & I broke my back!
Months of rehabilitation later, I'm pretty much back to normal but can never work as a Plumber again....

Fate is a funny thing though, cos my mate Tony, (who I was working with when I had the accident) started working with another guy, 'Bill' while I was in hospital. He'd previously been building swimming pools in Melbourne for the last 25 years.

All 3 of us hatched a plan which eventually became the 3 way partnership, "Aquability Pools" with me doing more in the way of management rather than the physical side of things.

So there you go! I'd come back out to Oz if I was you cos you know that the lifestyle is a lot better & you won't necessarily end up working as a Plumber!

Cheers... John....
Must just say my hubby was sponsored by company, down here in Bunbury, and they are really good to work for, money is not brill , he earned more in Uk self employed, but will be ok for 2 yrs, then who knows what. Denise
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cranni
Must just say my hubby was sponsored by company, down here in Bunbury, and they are really good to work for, money is not brill , he earned more in Uk self employed, but will be ok for 2 yrs, then who knows what. Denise
Hi DEnise,
Actually I am very interested, and yes I got your email and have replied yesterday (same day as receiving) Not too sure if my email is the same on here I did change it but doesn't seem to come up my profile. Anyway my email address is
[email protected]
Please reply as I'm certainly interested!!!
Thanks,
Dan
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hey Dan..

Cheers... John....
Hi John and thanks for your reply!
Funny how things turn out eh? Sorry to hear about your back - man that must have hurt! I've seen your website - congrats, very interesting stuff. Looks great, hope business is good for you!
As you said I may end up doing something totally different, but really I'd like to at least do a plumbing related trade. I don't think I've had enough time in the trade to stop doing it just yet!!! I know a guy through a friend of a friend who went over to Perth (plumber also), ended up doing aircon and loves it!! Evaporative only, so you can imagine the mountains of pipework!!!!
As you say it really is backwards over there!! I had a small job to do for my old man and went off to the merchants to get a roll of solder!!!!!! How was I to know!!! Got some sticks of the hard stuff and spent the next half hour trying to heat it up enough for the solder to run!!!!! Still I guess you'd get used to it!!
Well thats all for now!
Cheers,
Dan
PS Go the Dockers for next season!!!!