Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why not many pools in Melbourne?

Why not many pools in Melbourne?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why not many pools in Melbourne?

I love it when Melbournians/Victorians see a thread like this and jump in about how the weather is great. No one said it wasn't, just that it was possibly the reason why there appeared to be relatively few pools around.

Not everyone is having a dig at your weather all the time guys, you can relax occasionally

I'd have thought the drought over the past few years might have a fair bit to do with it, that and the cost could be prohibitive for many residents. It could also be that lots of people just don't want one.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why not many pools in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I love it when Melbournians/Victorians see a thread like this and jump in about how the weather is great.
You know why I do?

Because before I came to Australia I actually believed all the crap spouted by people who don't live in Melbourne about Melbourne's weather.

Thank goodness I didn't make any decisions on whether to live there based on their ill-informed opinions.

I would hate for anyone still in the UK to turn down the opportunity to live in Melbourne because they had read the rubbish typed on here, and they thought they were moving to somewhere with a wet rainy cold climate.

I have been astounded by how sunny Melbourne is. Absolutely astounded. Because I believed the crap.

Buzzy
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:12 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Typically in Melbourne you can only really use the pool Nov-Mar (even with solar heating). Longer if you're hardy less if you're a pussy. Pools are expensive in time and money to maintain and public pools are really cheap. Our local pool is $12 for a family and I think it's cheaper if you get membership.

I'm not sure of the mechanics or the psychology but I find that I can tolerate lower temperatures in the sea than I can in the pool. In the pool I like it to be at least 22 whilst in the sea I seem to be okay down to 18C. On the flip side the solar heating usually keeps the pool temp higher than the sea.

Having said all that, I do have a pool (it came with the house) and I love the ability to just jump in during the summer months.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You know why I do?

Because before I came to Australia I actually believed all the crap spouted by people who don't live in Melbourne about Melbourne's weather.

Thank goodness I didn't make any decisions on whether to live there based on their ill-informed opinions.

I would hate for anyone still in the UK to turn down the opportunity to live in Melbourne because they had read the rubbish typed on here, and they thought they were moving to somewhere with a wet rainy cold climate.

I have been astounded by how sunny Melbourne is. Absolutely astounded. Because I believed the crap.

Buzzy
The same reasons I bite when I read crap about the GC being all Surfers Thankfully I'd didn't believe the nonsense before I came otherwise we would have gone elsewhere and would have missed a gem of an area.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Have a look at this poll and you'll see that most of the people who live in Melbourne like the weather. Of the people on here who say that it rains all the time in Melbourne very few of them come from Melbourne.

I reckon Melbourne is closer to the South of France weather-wise (despite being closer to the equator). You have to be careful comparing latitudes between northern and southern hemispheres because the southern hemisphere is cooler.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

You would think with water restrictions and the fact that you can't fill the pool with a hose and have to buy water (about $1000 to fill) would put people off. Apparently not, the person who built our pool said it hasn't made any difference to his business. We had to buy a tank of water to fill the pool and if the water level drops you are not supposed to top it up with a hose only a bucket. Can't see too many people doing that though.

As for sea temperature it depends on the beach. I have been to our local beach in summer when the tide is out and the water feels bath water warm. Other beaches that are deeper would feel quite chilly in comparison.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:45 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinny
Hi Everyone
I have searched quite a lot of properties in the Melbourne area & have come to the conclusion that there are not that many with pools (well not as many as i expected).
Look harder

People with pools have made an investment to stay with the property. perhaps this is why not so many are on the market ??

If you are property searching, why not investigate building your own pool.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree. When it rains in Melbourne it REALLY rains. Drizzle seems pretty rare.

No but then no-one said they were tropical. However the sea is warm in Port Philip Bay, being a very shallow bay, clean and the stunning beaches are one of the reasons we chose Melbourne over Brisbane. Of the 8 successive months I have swam in the sea here I only wore a wetsuit the first one, September.

Buzzy

You can get drizzle in WINTER, plenty of grey days, weve lived there in winter, I dont think you have ?? Melbs had a hot summer this year, no doubt some rain was heavy, dont think you will get hot and steamy type rain in july tho

Melbs fine, no probs with its weather, answering the OP's question on swimming pools thats all, agree with MP why the need to be so defensive.

Some beaches are nice down there too, some suck, St Kilda is not called needle beach for no reason. I prefer the great ocean road beaches, if your surfing them come july without a wet suit, good luck

Anyway OP, further north in OZ you go, longer time you will get out of a swimming pool, further south you go more chance of brass testicles
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
weve lived there in winter, I dont think you have ??

try again.

Buzzy
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You can get drizzle in WINTER, plenty of grey days, weve lived there in winter, I dont think you have ?? Melbs had a hot summer this year, no doubt some rain was heavy, dont think you will get hot and steamy type rain in july tho

Melbs fine, no probs with its weather, answering the OP's question on swimming pools thats all, agree with MP why the need to be so defensive.

Some beaches are nice down there too, some suck, St Kilda is not called needle beach for no reason. I prefer the great ocean road beaches, if your surfing them come july without a wet suit, good luck

Anyway OP, further north in OZ you go, longer time you will get out of a swimming pool, further south you go more chance of brass testicles
I've lived through 4 Melbourne winters and the drizzly/grey days are not very common. Also the last winter had more grey days than the previous 3.

It might be a difference in perception. If a day starts cloudy and the sun burns it off by 11am and the rest of the day is sunny, I would say that was not a grey day. Others might have a different opinion. Also it might depend on where you live. The Dandenongs seem to have a reputation for having more rain than other parts of Melbourne.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
Ohh sorry , thought you arrived several months ago, great youve done winters there then, you can now understand the replies given to the OP's question about swimming pools, that they are not some personal attack on melbourne, just plain old answers to swimming pool questions.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

I've lived through 4 Melbourne winters and the drizzly/grey days are not very common. Also the last winter had more grey days than the previous 3.

It might be a difference in perception. If a day starts cloudy and the sun burns it off by 11am and the rest of the day is sunny, I would say that was not a grey day. Others might have a different opinion. Also it might depend on where you live. The Dandenongs seem to have a reputation for having more rain than other parts of Melbourne.

i love melbournes grey days, people bundled up in boots, scarves, gloves, shops stuffed full of coats and jackets, getting your head blown off on the ocean road, huge swells, driving rain down by Sale etc, parents in laws damp weekender cottage, well maybe not that enjoyable up near olinda etc.

Great stuff we go down and enjoy it most years.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

If a day starts cloudy and the sun burns it off by 11am and the rest of the day is sunny, I would say that was not a grey day.
Indeed.

Is the day half empty or half full?

Completely full if you are lucky enough to live in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:05 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I love it when Melbournians/Victorians see a thread like this and jump in about how the weather is great. No one said it wasn't, just that it was possibly the reason why there appeared to be relatively few pools around.

Not everyone is having a dig at your weather all the time guys, you can relax occasionally

I'd have thought the drought over the past few years might have a fair bit to do with it, that and the cost could be prohibitive for many residents. It could also be that lots of people just don't want one.
s'pose it's a bit like people saying surfers paradise is the Gold coast....

FFs pen calm down I'm only jesting....timber told me to say it..
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

The Dandenongs seem to have a reputation for having more rain than other parts of Melbourne.
That's why The Basin stays so green - all the rainwater running down from Mt Dandenong I quite often drive up and over the mountain to visit a friend in Monbulk and it can be lovely and sunny here - but I can hit fog and rain on the mountain and then sunshine again the other side. Great driving route though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.