Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
YES YOU BLOODY ARE!!

Questions for you....
1). Where abouts in Melbourne did you go and where are you planning to settle?
2). What made you choose Melbourne over Perth as I have a very close friend in Perth, my Dad is inbetween Sydney and Melbourne so I need your wise words of choice
J x

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS??
I thought you were my best mates oh for one minute. She too moved to oldham from oz as a teen as there parents split, and funnily enough they moved back to perth last year and are having a ball!
I was origionally from oldham, i could imagine what a culture shock that would be too coming from oz to oldham. Pretty much all my family have moved away over the last few years and im currently in spain waitiung for visa to get over to perth cant wait!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:15 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nessyp
I thought you were my best mates oh for one minute. She too moved to oldham from oz as a teen as there parents split, and funnily enough they moved back to perth last year and are having a ball!
I was origionally from oldham, i could imagine what a culture shock that would be too coming from oz to oldham. Pretty much all my family have moved away over the last few years and im currently in spain waitiung for visa to get over to perth cant wait!
Believe me, you are making the best decision in your life not returning to this place. There was someone shot on Clarkesfield last week outside MY doctors.
Should be renamed Moss side....
Sent you a pm.
J x
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
I don't know anyone who came back and I avoid the 'back in the UK' forum like the plague!
From everyone I've met there's one that posts on here that returned and has so far stayed there.

Apart from that, only one I know from real life has returned to the UK, but she got on the next flight back here. More money than sense springs to mind there!

I've met another 30 people that wouldn't go back though.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:34 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cooper Clan
Hi all

I'm incredibly curious
Having read lots of questions/info/chat on this site
I have a question
Why are people migrating to OZ when they haven't been/visited it before?
I CAN UNDERSTAND WANTING TO LEAVE THE UK
Why OZrather than somewhere where they have visited?
Is it having explored on the web and chatted to people or family out there?
Just very curious.
Why oz?

English speaking....we initially would have liked to have gone to Southern Europe, but the language barrier, especially in terms of work, was something we thought would be difficult to overcome.

Time frame to entry....we could get to oz when we applied quicker than to, say the USA, and without as much hassle. This may not be the case for everyone, but it was for us.

Why go before visiting?

My point of view is that a visit, or reccie, is no better than never having visited. The point is that you are not really living but are on holiday mode and so cannot know if it is the place for you to live. To know that, you actually have to live in the place. So, you either decide to give it a go or you decide to stay in England (or, obviously try somewhere else) and either way you try to make the best of your decision.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cooper Clan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
YES YOU BLOODY ARE!!

Questions for you....
1). Where abouts in Melbourne did you go and where are you planning to settle?
Stayed in central mMelbourn hotel - Swanson
Explored the city - shopping eating and sports facilities. Visited the usual museums etc
travelled a lot on the local transport system
Visited the wine places in the Dandenongs,
Had a go on puffing Billy train
Saw a lot of the local parks.
We originally went with two other couples from my husbands firm (they had won some sales thing - international firm) they won tickets to the australian tennis open and a stay in a hotel but as I was heavily pregnant with third child airline wouldn't fly me so the other two couples deferred their trip too and we all went out in the april when kids were 4, 2 and 5 weeks! hence not exploring more of OZ and staying centrally in Melbourne.
Walked and walked and walked

2). What made you choose Melbourne over Perth as I have a very close friend in Perth, my Dad is inbetween Sydney and Melbourne so I need your wise words of choice
J x
Chose Melbourne as one of the couples we travelled over with originally also moved out to Melbourne about 4/5 years ago and we have kept in close contact - although they did go through some tough times they absolutely love it and fully recommend it for anyone and everyone who wants the out doors lifestyle. With having 3 fit and healthy boys who are all heavily into sport - Melbourne is known as the sporting capital of OZ -we had to try there first! We have researched soccer/rugby/swimming and auzie rules etc which are all cheaper to visit that here in the UK. Also company OH works for is international and they have a firm in Melbourne who OH has been in contact with and have said that although they were unable to sponsor if he can get himself over there there would be job for him - which is one of the main worries for most people when moving etc, having a job/money. Therefore we felt we would try there first and 'holiday' in Perth with friends at some point to get a feel for the place (keeping our options open). Our friends in Perth went over 18 months ago and although very homesick at first wouldn't change a thing. They have 2 boys who are very sporty. Never having lived by the sea before they now go on Sunday mornign 'surfing lessons' together have a pool in their back garden, financial pressures are now not the same as here in ol' blighty so friend in now working as a postie. They also spend more quality time together as a family.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS??
Not at the mo' but no doubt will have soon - I think you may need a rest I seem to have rambled a bit
Thanks for replying in the first place - its interesting hearing other peoples stories

Any more out there ????
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:34 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Me too
We visited Melbourne 9 years ago and i fell in love - I would have moved out there straight away. OH loved it too but didn't want to leave family and enjoyed his job, however things change and he announced back in Ocotber that he had changed his mind and wanted to move etc so we started the procedure.
We have some very good friends in Perth and Melbourne.
We chose Melbourne because as I say we fell in love with it - the 'natives' are very open and friendly, plus the countryside is to die for and the weather helps too. My husbands company have a place there and have said that if we can get there then they would find him a job which is a good start.
OMG Just noticed your from LB and heading to Melbourne.

We have very good friends in Tilsworth. Run a vet clinic in LB.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cooper Clan is on a distinguished road

You never know we might have to visit them to sort out our two pussers.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I'm incredibly curious
I have a question
Just very curious.
awwwe gawd i cant be bothered with this, if you go to the top right hand corner and click, you can research anything on BE, including this
Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret3
awwwe gawd i cant be bothered with this, if you go to the top right hand corner and click, you can research anything on BE, including this
EH?????
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Welshrob1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

How true - Tony Blair and his henchmen have helped me decide that I want to leave - life ain't a dress rehearsal - so this shows on the road as they say!

Last edited by Welshrob1974; Jun 9th 2007 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshrob1974
How true - Tony Blair and his henchmen have helped me decide that I want to leave - life ain't a dress rehearsal - so this shows on the road as they say!
But won't he be gone in another month or two?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Welshrob1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

True he will be - but the replacement is just as bad maybe worse (wait and see on that one)! And the damage has been done, 5 yrs ago I was British true and true but now I find myself wondering whats gone wrong. My worry is for the future of our daughter - is there any in the UK!

Well I know the streets arn't paved in gold in oz and i don't wear rose tinted glasses BUT its got to be better!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I'm incredibly curious
I have a question
Just very curious.
The sun shines esp in Qld,
The women are darlings (most of them)
Surrounded by wildlife esp birds
Look forward to getting up
Everybodys friendly (my experience)
IIIIIII LLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE IIIITTTTTT
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
The sun shines esp in Qld,
The women are darlings (most of them)
Surrounded by wildlife esp birds
Look forward to getting up
Everybodys friendly (my experience)
IIIIIII LLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE IIIITTTTTT
It's really not a bad place!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's really not a bad place!

Definitely not as bad as some make out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.