Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cooper Clan is on a distinguished road
Talking Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

Hi all

I'm incredibly curious
Having read lots of questions/info/chat on this site
I have a question
Why are people migrating to OZ when they haven't been/visited it before?
I CAN UNDERSTAND WANTING TO LEAVE THE UK
Why OZrather than somewhere where they have visited?
Is it having explored on the web and chatted to people or family out there?
Just very curious.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:00 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to OZ when you've never been ??

dude, we've all seen Home & Away, we know EXACTLY what Oz is like! duh!

Well, you go on holiday to places you've never seen, I guess it's a bit like that but with slightly more committment?! As it happens I'm going on a reccie in August but that was unplanned (brother getting married) and we were still planning on emigrating based on his recommendation. Suppose coz it's not final, if you don't like it you can come back.

Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

yep
your right
if you don't like it you can come back
it will only have cost you financially
I was just curious as to why some people who'd not been to OZ have decided to go there as opposed to another country which they may have visited.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:14 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cooper Clan
Hi all

I'm incredibly curious
Having read lots of questions/info/chat on this site
I have a question
Why are people migrating to OZ when they haven't been/visited it before?
I CAN UNDERSTAND WANTING TO LEAVE THE UK
Why OZrather than somewhere where they have visited?
Is it having explored on the web and chatted to people or family out there?
Just very curious.
Have lots of family out there that I haven't seen for years and also my in laws have recently moved there and say it would be great for our son who is 3 nearly 4 years old.
Always fancied going there as it looks so un spoilt in certain areas. Even though it is a hostile environment. Just fed up of UK if it wasn't Oz it would be Holland to be honest.
Hubby has been plenty of times and as I said I always wanted to go since my auntie emigrated 10 years ago!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:16 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Also I suppose it doesn't really matter where you decide upon it is what you make of the experience that counts. I have never fancied the States apart from maybe Canada and that would only be due to the beauty of the place.
Even if you go to a place it will always be different going on holiday there to actually living there so to be honest I think Australia is as good as any place to start, plus they drive on the left!!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

John50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the rough

My OH is Australian she misses home thats good enough for me.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:23 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I guess coz people feel there are enough fmiliar things in Australia to make it feel like it could be home but not home (if that makes any sense). It's English speaking, we've seen their telly, similar food etc. i suppose ti's somewhere you know a lot about without having to research so you already have a head start. Plus everyone knows someone who's moved there and loved it!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Me too
We visited Melbourne 9 years ago and i fell in love - I would have moved out there straight away. OH loved it too but didn't want to leave family and enjoyed his job, however things change and he announced back in Ocotber that he had changed his mind and wanted to move etc so we started the procedure.
We have some very good friends in Perth and Melbourne.
We chose Melbourne because as I say we fell in love with it - the 'natives' are very open and friendly, plus the countryside is to die for and the weather helps too. My husbands company have a place there and have said that if we can get there then they would find him a job which is a good start.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Me too
We visited Melbourne 9 years ago and i fell in love - I would have moved out there straight away. OH loved it too but didn't want to leave family and enjoyed his job, however things change and he announced back in Ocotber that he had changed his mind and wanted to move etc so we started the procedure.
We have some very good friends in Perth and Melbourne.
We chose Melbourne because as I say we fell in love with it - the 'natives' are very open and friendly, plus the countryside is to die for and the weather helps too. My husbands company have a place there and have said that if we can get there then they would find him a job which is a good start.
Because they speak English and drive on the correct side of the road, and also because I want to be a gorgeous tanned, sun bleached surfer chick and wind burn in Cornwall just doesnt cut it!!!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Absolutely
I agree 100%
I originally come from Devon
Although very lovely there
It definately doesn't compare
I am working hard on my fantastic beach babe body.
I only hope I don't run out of time before we go
Can't face the thought of first day on beach and being harpooned.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:04 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I often wondered this as there would be no way I'd move without going there first!
Australia was all I knew as I moved aged 2 - 13 years old and then Mum brought me back to OLDHAM of all places (we were all born here!) and I've spent most of my adult life - I am now 35 - trying to get back there!
J x
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Why did your family come back?

Why oldham?

How are you going to get back to OZ? Can you can back easier because you'd previously lived there?

Nosey aren't i.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Why did your family come back?

Why oldham?

How are you going to get back to OZ? Can you can back easier because you'd previously lived there?

Nosey aren't i.
Gosh you ask alot of questions
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

I know

Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Cos life is too short to live in the same village your whole life. Make it an adventure, experience new things and places. Just try to ensure that the door is always open to come back ( I know I know easier said than done)

For me though, I just want to get away from the UK, if it wasn't Aus, then I would of gone to Espana. We are going to Perth and have no idea why. Just sounded a good place to start

Small print: I am not going with rose tinted glasses; Honest.......

T
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.