Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are most jobs "Casual" in Oz?

Why are most jobs "Casual" in Oz?

Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are most jobs "Casual" in Oz?

I have been very, very surprised at the lack of "permanent" jobs on offer here in Queensland. Nearly all of them seem to be "Casual" - I believe that means no holiday pay, no sick pay, they can sack you without any notice, etc. etc. Why is this? Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are most jobs "Casual" in Oz?

Originally posted by Rosy
I have been very, very surprised at the lack of "permanent" jobs on offer here in Queensland. Nearly all of them seem to be "Casual" - I believe that means no holiday pay, no sick pay, they can sack you without any notice, etc. etc. Why is this? Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
Erm....I imagine it's because they don't have to give you sick pay, holiday pay, and can sack you without notice.

Dog
Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dog19363
Erm....I imagine it's because they don't have to give you sick pay, holiday pay, and can sack you without notice.

Dog
But that`s not very nice, is it?
Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

No but true , in most states there is a pay roll tax plus other costs so being a low wage economy people are took on either by contract or casual.
Forget holiday pay , sick pay , long service leave and overtime rates , its a case of how do you value your labour?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 16th 2003 at 4:06 am.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really....
but, depending on your line of business, it can give you more flexibility and 20% extra pay more than permanent staff

I'm a nurse, so casual suited me fine...plenty of work, flexibility around hours, day off when I wanted, work lots if I wanted a big tv etc etc

Dog
Old Apr 16th 2003, 4:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Some indept information does not paint a pretty picture.

Australia has consistently recorded one of the highest levels of temporary employment in the OECD. Unlike other countries with high levels of temporary employment, the majority of temporary employment in Australia is not accounted for by seasonal fluctuations in employment but rather is mainly due to the high level of casual employment (Romeyn, 1994: 15). The phenomenon of casual employment in Australia is highly distinctive. While casual employment has been a feature of the Australian labour market for decades, over the past decade casual employment has doubled. Casual employees now account for approximately 25 per cent of all employed persons in Australia (Campbell, 1996b: 175). Casual employment is based on the assumption that the employment contract is of such a short duration as to barely exist, compared with permanent employees where the employment contract is ongoing and indefinite in nature. On the basis of this legal definition, casual employees are not entitled to employment benefits associated with full-time employment (Campbell, 1996a: 44-45).

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/di...tralia/1_4.htm
Old Apr 16th 2003, 7:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Why carry "permanents" when you can import "dreamers" by the boat load?
Old Apr 16th 2003, 7:36 am
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Why carry "permanents" when you can import "dreamers" by the boat load?

Blame your bollock brain country men doing a fine PR job on giving dreamers hope of an Australia that will never be.

Old Apr 16th 2003, 7:52 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Blame your bollock brain country men doing a fine PR job on giving dreamers hope of an Australia that will never be.

Don't lump me in, I'm doing me best to tell all and sundry its a no goer but how can you stop a tide of rats? I accept that Aus will never be as good as she was a few centries ago but do ing my biy to slow the rot.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 7:55 am
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Don't lump me in, I'm doing me best to tell all and sundry its a no goer but how can you stop a tide of rats? I accept that Aus will never be as good as she was a few centries ago but do ing my biy to slow the rot.

Well step up your output too many backpackers who speak of a utopia that Australia will never be , off to drink to your good health Pal keep up the thankless work , Australia needs you.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 16th 2003 at 7:58 am.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 4:53 am
Banned

Some more input on this topic.

MORE than 20 per cent of Australian part-time workers just can't get enough work, official figures showed today.

A little more than one in five, or 22 per cent, of part-time workers wanted to work more hours than were available to them, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

Old Apr 17th 2003, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I have said this here many times, no doubt to be called a liar by the hopeful out there. Fact is you can forget the employment condiitons you are used to in the UK. Wages and condiitions are low low low.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

HowardB is an unknown quantity at this point

I for one, am not coming out to Aus for a career move. Downsizing is the order of the day