Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane

Moving to Brisbane

Old Apr 16th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane

Hi People,
My partner and i are moving to brisbane in the next few weeks, we are going on a sponsorship(4yrs) Is there anybody who can advise us with regards to the best rental proprties to go for and indeed areas, I would assume that the further away from the city you get the cheaper it becomes, Clare's (my partner)work will probably have a large part in where we actually rent, but we will be looking for a 2-3 bedroom house for about $220 p.w, is this feasable?

The move depends on our house sale, we have gone through the selling process twice previously and been let down(chains), however we have recieved another offer and let's hope it's third time lucky! If there is anybody already settled in Bris we would love to hear from you! Are there any other Manc's who share my passion for Man U, Irealise the last comment might lose me a few replies, but i am from Manchester so here's hoping we stick it up Arsenal tonight. Anyway anybody who may have any info about flights,accomodation or absolutely anything please reply.

Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2003, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane

And there was I just about to offer some advice when I saw the dreaded Manure reference. I suppose it's not too bad since you actually live there.

Anyway you won't get a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment in the inner suburbs for $220/week but you should find something further out. I'm sure there are others on here who can advise where.

S E E E E E E E E A G U L L S !!!!!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2003, 12:13 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by garywarby
Hi People,
My partner and i are moving to brisbane in the next few weeks, we are going on a sponsorship(4yrs) Is there anybody who can advise us with regards to the best rental proprties to go for and indeed areas, I would assume that the further away from the city you get the cheaper it becomes, Clare's (my partner)work will probably have a large part in where we actually rent, but we will be looking for a 2-3 bedroom house for about $220 p.w, is this feasable?

The move depends on our house sale, we have gone through the selling process twice previously and been let down(chains), however we have recieved another offer and let's hope it's third time lucky! If there is anybody already settled in Bris we would love to hear from you! Are there any other Manc's who share my passion for Man U, Irealise the last comment might lose me a few replies, but i am from Manchester so here's hoping we stick it up Arsenal tonight. Anyway anybody who may have any info about flights,accomodation or absolutely anything please reply.

Cheers
You need to narrow it down a bit. Brisbane basically extends from the gold coast to the sunshine coast. I worked in Geebung with guys from Coloundra. Amberley with guys from Robina. And I live in Caboolture and work at the Airport. This is one huge MSA...
Old Apr 16th 2003, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
And there was I just about to offer some advice when I saw the dreaded Manure reference. I suppose it's not too bad since you actually live there.

Anyway you won't get a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment in the inner suburbs for $220/week but you should find something further out. I'm sure there are others on here who can advise where.

Thanks for the info, how do you cope with the lack of banter as regards to English football!
Old Apr 16th 2003, 11:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You will find some stuff for these prices, try the link below then get a map (www.ourbrisbane.com for city suburbs will do) to work out where these places are.

Properties $200-250pw in Queensland
Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, how do you cope with the lack of banter as regards to English football!
The lack of football - or anything related - is the worst thing about moving to Australia. You will find plenty of people who 'support' Newcastle (cos they like their strip) or Chelsea (cos they have a brother in Earl's Court) or Leeds (cos there are some Aussies in the team) but nobody really knows anything about football (which they call 'soccer' by the way). And if you follow a Nationwide team like myself then you might as well not bother talking about the beautiful game...... 'Brighton and Hove who ???' ...

And to think I sold my season ticket to come here.

The absolute killer though is to watch highlights of an English game where they show short sequences of the crowd. They all look so passionate and it makes me yearn for Saturday afternoons.

I have my ups and downs about the move to Australia. My wife always knows when I'm feeling homesick because she'll find me in the blue and white stripes.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Hi People,

Cheers
Hi garywarby,

This is copied from a recent posting I made on renting in Brisbane suburbs...

I'm familar with the inner Western suburbs (as they are local to me) - Toowong, St Lucia, Taringa, Indooroopilly, Kenmore, Chapel Hill, Bardon, Auchenflower and Paddington are all 'good' areas - but $220/week won't get you much of a flat never mind a house. A decent flat/house (to a UK standard) is usually $300 and over in these suburbs. All are established areas (with a mixture of new brick houses, Queenslander, Colonial and wooden Highset homes) though Chapel Hill does have some new 'housing' estates, and Paddington is yuppie/trendy.
To get $220/week you'll have to rent further away from the CBD or lower you standards if you want to stay within a few K's from the city centre. You need to be careful when you rent out in the 'burbs' and want to work in the city. Try to rent near a train line as they are pretty quick to get into town - but they can get crowded in rush hour.

AndyH

P.S. - it's not the same I know but SBS shows some UK football (called soccer over here) and Fox Sports has quite good coverage I believe (I don't have cable/satellite TV).
Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Try South of the city Coorparoo (20 min by bus to CBD in rush hour) you can get 2 bedroom appartments for $200-250 or a bit further out Carina (30 min).

They have excellent bus services to the city every 15 minutes throughout the day. In Carina you might get a 3 bedroom house but you'll be paying $300+.

I rented in Coorparoo when I first arrived, and the only problem I found was the aircraft noise as it's used as the take off path from the main Brisbane airport sometimes. (The airport is North of Brisbane at least 20Kms away but you could clearly notice them).

I now live at Mt Gravatt East only 5 kms away and you don't hear them at all.

Try this link Property
Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

The lack of football - or anything related - is the worst thing about moving to Australia. You will find plenty of people who 'support' Newcastle (cos they like their strip) or Chelsea (cos they have a brother in Earl's Court) or Leeds (cos there are some Aussies in the team) but nobody really knows anything about football (which they call 'soccer' by the way). And if you follow a Nationwide team like myself then you might as well not bother talking about the beautiful game...... 'Brighton and Hove who ???' ...

And to think I sold my season ticket to come here.

The absolute killer though is to watch highlights of an English game where they show short sequences of the crowd. They all look so passionate and it makes me yearn for Saturday afternoons.

I have my ups and downs about the move to Australia. My wife always knows when I'm feeling homesick because she'll find me in the blue and white stripes.

I doubt there's a footie fan out there who can't relate to that...I know that this is going to sound hopelessly parochial, but its actually among of the reasons why we decided to move back to the UK (there are other 'more important reasons' believe me...well my wife considers them more important, me...I'm not so sure!)
Old Apr 17th 2003, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

SBS TV (Channel 28 in Brisbane) is the place to watch Association Football (Soccer) when downunder. Here's the link. http://www4.sbs.com.au/home/index.html

Personally I'd rather watch chickens shit. But hey each to their own.

$220 per week is a bit tight for your rent budget unless maybe you could get a two bedroom flat (unit) or move out from the city centre?

Why not look at Taringa ...close to Cinema at Indooroopilly, has a Soccer Club, City Cat terminal at Guyatt Park, Shopping at Toowong or Indooroopilly, bike paths most of the way into the city. Neraby British theme pub at Indooroopilly (the Pig & Whistle). Three stops from Lang Park stadium and the XXXX brewery.

Taringa adjacent suburbs are Toowong, Indooroopilly, St Lucia.

Why not bring out a Wigan or St Helens shirt or two for the rare occasions that those teams kick the Brisbane Broncos off their perch. Rugby League is the football code they follow most in Brisbane.

But in this international world you will see Man U shirts and Beckham ads about Brisvegas.

$220 a week ?

Fairfield is six stations out from Central on the Beenleigh line (Taringa is five stations out on the Ipswich line). You'll find the Dutton Park/Fairfield/Yeronga on the southside of the river to have somewhat cheaper rents than Toowong/Taringa/St Lucia on the north. But get this they are soon to build a Bus/Bike bridge across the River (Dutton Park-St Lucia). Watch this area!

Last edited by Stan J; Apr 17th 2003 at 4:13 am.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Sea sea seasiders! You are da man indeed! What are your connections to that area?
Old Apr 17th 2003, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by muppetking
Sea sea seasiders! You are da man indeed! What are your connections to that area?
Blackpool - absolutely none (apart from watching BHA stuff the Seasiders on many occasions) :-) Sorry, never did like the Seasiders chant - too many clubs use it.

Brighton - That's where I lived before moving to Brisbane.

Good old Sussex by the sea
For we're going up and we'll win the Cup
For Sussex by the sea
ALL TOGETHER NOW
For we're going up and we'll win the Cup
For Sussex by the sea
BRIGHTON! [clap clap clap]
BRIGHTON!

OK, so we we're not going up again this season (two on the trot was pretty good though).
Old Apr 17th 2003, 4:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi People,

Cheers
You'll get a house to rent for this price in the North Brisbane bay side Suburbs, (also South of the bridge - in the non Bay side areas of the southside) . Depending what you want - Fibro would be less than $200 ( about 170 to 200) Brick house $200 to sky's your limit ( brick 3 to 4 bed, decent sort without pool - about 200 , 220 in the Redcliffe/Brighton region with pool around $240 and upwards - it all depends on the actual location and size of the house - new or old. - if you want to go further up the North side "depression bay" (deception bay it's called really) you should get a brick house with a pool for this sort of money.

But yes you'll find a rental for around $220 in most suburbs - depending what it is brick or fibro,, house or unit, and where it is, and how old etc etc

cheers
Old Apr 17th 2003, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

If you're really stuck there's always Inala
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Stan J
If you're really stuck there's always Inala
Thats not nice!

AndyH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.