Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Me? - Probs with Visa in passport

Why Me? - Probs with Visa in passport

Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Why Me? - Probs with Visa in passport

Sent of the passports to get the lovely Visa Grant stickers to be put in, easy you may think well no, one has been returned with a spelling mistake. No problem I send it back (Special delivery £8.10 again) with a covering letter, a couple of days letter we get the passport back, incorrect Visa stamped invalid and a nice new Visa stuck in.......with the same *$£@ing spelling mistake in, so yes tomorrow I will be back to the post office again handing over another £8.10 to get the bloody thing sorted once more!

Anyway sorry to rave on but I feel more stressed about this than the whole application process. Would like to say I feel much better after getting this off my chest but unfortunately I don't. :scared:

Jenny
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:06 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why Me? - Probs with Visa in passport

Originally Posted by Three P's
Sent of the passports to get the lovely Visa Grant stickers to be put in, easy you may think well no, one has been returned with a spelling mistake. No problem I send it back (Special delivery £8.10 again) with a covering letter, a couple of days letter we get the passport back, incorrect Visa stamped invalid and a nice new Visa stuck in.......with the same *$£@ing spelling mistake in, so yes tomorrow I will be back to the post office again handing over another £8.10 to get the bloody thing sorted once more!

Anyway sorry to rave on but I feel more stressed about this than the whole application process. Would like to say I feel much better after getting this off my chest but unfortunately I don't. :scared:

Jenny
I don't blame you at all for being cross. Anyone would be. It's not even the money that makes it so bad it's the fact that DIMIA have you jumpimg through hoops to get the visa in the first place and then they have incompetent staff issuing the visa,
Good luck this time around, am going to send you some karma.
Sarah
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny
Calm down missus Karma heading your way.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Baaaarstards! Tell em you've changed your mind and they're going to have to beg to go now. Or (assuming the sp mistake is a name) get your name changed.
Hope you've got enough pages left in your passport to get stamped at the airport
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, have returned all the karma, as it's nice to know that there are other people out there who would also be as furious as me!

I'm still livid about the whole saga, but maybe later tonight I'll have 1 or 2....ok then 5 or 6 to try and calm down!

Jenny
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Neither of my provisional spouse and PR visa labels carry my middle name.

That caused no problems until perhaps the 10th time I entered Australia, and got hauled off to the side by Immigration (to check my visa status they said).

After they played on their compute for 5 - 10 minutes they announced they had ammended my records, and I should have made sure the label had all my names, and if I put in for a RRV to ensure it had all names.

Puzzled by this I rang DIMIA only to be told they neverput middle names on the labels

left hand not knowing what the right is doing????
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont blame you feeling K on its way

Sue
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:35 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a real pain in the butt,still a problem i would like as it would mean i am off to oz
Just wait till you get there and have to sort out trade licence etc
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Jenny

Oh Jenny 'so near yet so far'

Take a deep breath, chin up and keep smiling while you think of stepping off that plane in Oz in the VERY near future

Hugs
Karen x
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Jenny

Perhaps going to the mission directly and at the customer service windows. If they spell incorrectly you could correct them on the spot
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pain in the arse but this is what happened to me....

Got visa ( yippee), details correct in all four passports..."Let's Go!!!!"....

5 Months after visa granted...get to Heathrow, try to check into Cthaty pacific...Ste and kids passports go through ok...MINE? " No Chance...."

C.P man has to ring Canberra to check the validitary (sp?) of my visa...says " OK, your free to travel....". PHEW!!!

Get to Hong Kong.... have a break between flights, go to board again for flight to Brisbane...attendant checking us in passes all the families passports, except mine...says " there's a problem with your visa...."...has to ring Canberra ( AGAIN....), then says: " It's ok for you to fly...."...

THIS time, we have to do a very dramatic ' running down the tunnel - like in a film - in order to be the last people to board the flight - whilst everyone else has been sat comfortably for 1/2 an hour scenario - i.e everyone pissed off at us for delaying the flight, scene.....

PHEW...problem over....

NO CHANCE!!!!

Get to Brisbane, board again - no problems ( obviously they don't bother to check sh*t all there , with passports ), fly on to final destination - Cairns....

Fly into cairns...the rest of the family get through just fine...do I??? of course I don't...

NARROWLY ESCAPED THE RUBBER GLOVE TREATMENT.

Got taken onto one side - "who are you?", " What is the purpose of your visit to Australia?" etc etc...A while later, she comes back to tell me that what has happened ( and the reason for me being stopped at HEATHROW, HONG KONG AND CAIRN'S is because...wait for it...

Someone with the same name as me has had a visa which expired ( but not left the country ) and the computer put two and two together and came up with one million and forty.....

I had done nothing wrong, went about getting my visa in an 'above board and legal manner' and yet because my name is the same as someone who is an illegal immigrant, I got stopped at the 3 airports.

Not a good start, but has been great since.

The moral of this VERY long winded story is that you have nothing to stress about and everything to look forward to. I am proud to be living in a country which takes illegal immigrants etc so seriously. God bless OZ!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add... , I asked, " will this happen to me everytime i return to OZ from overseas?"

Customs / Immigration lady says: " Prbably, yes, until the other person with the same name as you is found..."

Won't be leaving these shores for a while, then......

God, it's crap to be stuck here!!!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Just to add... , I asked, " will this happen to me everytime i return to OZ from overseas?"

Customs / Immigration lady says: " Prbably, yes, until the other person with the same name as you is found..."

Won't be leaving these shores for a while, then......

God, it's crap to be stuck here!!!!!
Wow, I thought my problems with the Visa was stressful! Hopefully it'll return correctly this week (fingers crossed).

Jenny