Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Could I suggest you try http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html.

Carolina (Miss PriceUSA) lives is Bendigo.

Here's a thread on Whirpool discussing PriceUSA http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=913221

The home-page details the benefits. I particularly like wrt ishop: delivery at cost; claim rebates/coupons on your behalf; cheap returns insurance @ 20% of shipping cost. Plus, as I have stated to Carolina, if it goes wrong it will be easy to sue her.

I bought a Seiko watch via her and was very impressed with the ordering/communications process.

Ian
That's looks like a great idea. Just having a nose around her site and am really interested in the Inflight Power Recharger thing. Never heard of them. Would be really useful for the girls DSs during our flights to the UK. Bit more investigation needs planning
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's looks like a great idea. Just having a nose around her site and am really interested in the Inflight Power Recharger thing. Never heard of them. Would be really useful for the girls DSs during our flights to the UK. Bit more investigation needs planning

I've just had a look at the Ishop site as well, and went through a psuedo order just to see what would happen.

Two pairs of shoes, about 20 bucks cheaper each than normal retail here in Aus. (New Balance and Adidas) however where the system falls down is 77 bucks in shipping.

So does anyone know how to reduce the shipping price from these stores... I reckon 30 bucks for the two pairs would make it worthwhile ordering from the states.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So does anyone know how to reduce the shipping price from these stores... I reckon 30 bucks for the two pairs would make it worthwhile ordering from the states.
Amazon reckon a pair of adidas shoes is 2lb.

So with Carolina's PriceUSA the shipping for both (4lb) would be between $11 and $40 depending on your choice.

For my watch I went for the cheapest as I was in no hurry.

EDIT: Don't forget to look for coupons/rebates. See "Can I use a coupon code with my order?" on this page http://www.priceusa.com.au/faq-order...l#where_to_buy

Ian

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Apr 16th 2008 at 8:31 am.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Just been stiffed for tax from ishopusa.com. I am not impressed. Paid £58 for John Deer boots from my OH and then had to pay £44 shipping charges and they arrived 2 weeks after the date I was given.

Lo and behold today I get a bill for £57.06 for tax. Beware folks, some things aren't what they seem. Maybe I was just unlucky.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Just been stiffed for tax from ishopusa.com. I am not impressed. Paid £58 for John Deer boots from my OH and then had to pay £44 shipping charges and they arrived 2 weeks after the date I was given.

Lo and behold today I get a bill for £57.06 for tax. Beware folks, some things aren't what they seem. Maybe I was just unlucky.
In Australia anything imported that is under $1000 (GBP400 odd) is tax and duty free. A bit different from the UK.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

I definately wouldn't have purchased if I'd have known. It has worked out way too expensive for me, anyway, you live and learn.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I now buy very little in Australia - it's too overpriced here. Sure, things like big electricals, TVs, furniture are best bought here but most other stuff is cheaper if you import it - often radically so. Even after paying for the extra cost of delivery you can save heaps. I don't care about warranty issues on small items as I am saving so much I can afford to buy another and still save. Aussie retailers are saving so much due to favourable exchange rates yet they refuse to pass these savings on - so I refuse to shop with them.

CDs and DVDs from CD-WOW in Hong Kong
Books from the Book Depository UK
Electronics from Amazon and others in the US
RC aircraft stuff from the US and Asia
Outdoor stuff from REI and others in the US
Numerous stuff from Ebay

Even with delivery costs, I have paid 25-60% of the best Aussie price.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Even after paying for the extra cost of delivery you can save heaps. Even with delivery costs, I have paid 25-60% of the best Aussie price.
That is astonishing. Just shows how we are getting worked! I still can't get over the "crappy made in china fall apart in five seconds" tops from Sportsgirl priced at $90. Students must have plenty of money these days. And the plastic handbags and shoes costing $150
Old May 13th 2008, 11:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by rabsody
That is astonishing. Just shows how we are getting worked! I still can't get over the "crappy made in china fall apart in five seconds" tops from Sportsgirl priced at $90. Students must have plenty of money these days. And the plastic handbags and shoes costing $150
I bought a Maglite torch on Amazon - USD45 delivered in Perth. The same torch in BCF is AUD180. I shit you not.
I've just been in KL and Singapore. Decent, branded clothes and shoes are 30-50% of the Aussie price. I doubt that I will buy many clothes in Australia again.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:33 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Electronics from Amazon and others in the US.
Hope you don't mind me asking: but how does it work with the voltage difference between US/OZ?

I want to buy a particular Epson printer. The model isn't available in Oz yet. It's available in the UK and in US but US one is half-price. UK: £199. US: $199.

But the US Epson website says the voltage is 110. So, I am concerned it won't work here?

Gina
Old May 14th 2008, 12:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hope you don't mind me asking: but how does it work with the voltage difference between US/OZ?

I want to buy a particular Epson printer. The model isn't available in Oz yet. It's available in the UK and in US but US one is half-price. UK: £199. US: $199.

But the US Epson website says the voltage is 110. So, I am concerned it won't work here?

Gina
Most modern electronic equipment can operate on either 110v or 230v. The power supply is voltage sensing and will automatically operate on the voltage that is put into it. There might be exceptions but I imagine that something like an Epson printer should be okay. You would need to contact Epson though just to be on the safe side.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post matey.

It drives me crazy when you try to shop in Aus online and nobody puts prices for anything on their site so you just don't buy from them the dick heads can't figure out if they let you know how much it costs you may just go ahead and buy it.

Originally Posted by Centurion
OK,

For a few days now I've been researching and after a decent tent to take me outback in a couple of months time, to do a hiking trip in Sept in Europe and the Simpson Desert next year.

I had narrowed it down to a few particular higher end tents with lifetime guarantees and so on since its for some serious travel and I'd rather entrust my wellbeing to them than some $30 effort of a tent from Anaconda/kmart.

So - could I manage to get them here ? Could I buggery. Every dealer said not in stock and we could order it, for about 4 times the price that they sell stateside. Naturally this being Australia the idea of actually ordering stuff online I threw out some years ago and spent days running around trying to get this sorted.

Why not order things from the US directly thinks I. Top plan, apart from the fact that the brands I want all lock the dealers regionally and we're stuck with a she'll be right distributors who dont actually want to import or sell anything.

In the end I stumbled upon this site http://www.ishop-america.com and have ordered the stuff from the USA from exactly the same shop that would not ship to me directly because of the regional issue.

In fact the shipping was a lot cheaper than the shop would have charged me directly if they were able to send it. Best part about it you simply set up an account and can order from ANY USA online retailer. They ship it to ishop in the US who then ship it to you.

Now seeing the Aus Dollar is doing so well I can't see myself getting too bored of ordering stuff at half the price as here that quickly
Old May 14th 2008, 1:02 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Possible downside is I think there's a ceiling on how much we can import before we start to get GST or some sort of import tax smacked on , I thought it was $2,000 a year before we got hit though?

Did the boots still work out cheaper than Aus though?

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus

Originally Posted by datamile
Thread running on a boating forum gives the US v Oz price difference.

This guy is trying to buy two 175HP outboards for his boat.

Price here is $44,000

US Price $21,550 AUD + Shipping $1932 = $23,482 + 10% GST = $25,830 V/s

The only worry is warranty, but as people on the thread are saying , you could buy a spare engine and bit quids in still.
Originally Posted by Centurion
OK,

For a few days now I've been researching and after a decent tent to take me outback in a couple of months time, to do a hiking trip in Sept in Europe and the Simpson Desert next year.

I had narrowed it down to a few particular higher end tents with lifetime guarantees and so on since its for some serious travel and I'd rather entrust my wellbeing to them than some $30 effort of a tent from Anaconda/kmart.

So - could I manage to get them here ? Could I buggery. Every dealer said not in stock and we could order it, for about 4 times the price that they sell stateside. Naturally this being Australia the idea of actually ordering stuff online I threw out some years ago and spent days running around trying to get this sorted.

Why not order things from the US directly thinks I. Top plan, apart from the fact that the brands I want all lock the dealers regionally and we're stuck with a she'll be right distributors who dont actually want to import or sell anything.

In the end I stumbled upon this site http://www.ishop-america.com and have ordered the stuff from the USA from exactly the same shop that would not ship to me directly because of the regional issue.

In fact the shipping was a lot cheaper than the shop would have charged me directly if they were able to send it. Best part about it you simply set up an account and can order from ANY USA online retailer. They ship it to ishop in the US who then ship it to you.

Now seeing the Aus Dollar is doing so well I can't see myself getting too bored of ordering stuff at half the price as here that quickly

Last edited by annqldau; May 14th 2008 at 1:07 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by annqldau
Possible downside is I think there's a ceiling on how much we can import before we start to get GST or some sort of import tax smacked on , I thought it was $2,000 a year before we got hit though?

Did the boots still work out cheaper than Aus though?
My understanding is that it is $1000 per shipment with no limit on the amount of shipments. I read somewhere that multiple packages arriving from the same source in a short space of time would attract tax though.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I also tried Ishop website, as wanted some gap clothes for the kids.
(Im in rural town and need kids stuff as choice here is limited)

Two pairs of kids lightweight swim shorts cost about $79 for shipping. Thats way too high. This was a test run, think I will look at the other website mentioned.

Ive also been looking for a rock tumbler (I make jewellery) and OZ price is from $200 or more and USA the same thing is about $60! Shocking.

Gems

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've just had a look at the Ishop site as well, and went through a psuedo order just to see what would happen.

Two pairs of shoes, about 20 bucks cheaper each than normal retail here in Aus. (New Balance and Adidas) however where the system falls down is 77 bucks in shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.