Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:18 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

[quote=Wendy;4672798]I worked in a bingo hall checking claims than quote]

have you got bingo wings
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4

have you got bingo wings
Shh, don't tell everyone
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:21 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Shh, don't tell everyone

bet you swim like a stingray
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

bet you swim like a stingray

I can't swim, I'm too dumb
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:23 pm
forever hopeful

I can't swim, I'm too dumb

me too, my school had a creche
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mine too.

And no I'm not joking, my son was born when I was 15
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:31 pm
forever hopeful

Mine too.

And no I'm not joking, my son was born when I was 15

ya dirty mare. i never used my school creche, but some friends did.

bet you don't regret a moment of it though, esp now with him doing so well at school.

you did good kid
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes - to an extent. Agree - there may be an inherited portion, (nature) but it is ridiculous to say that lower class have less of intelligence exclusively. Perhaps this is what you meant and typed it too quick. But they may have less opportunities.

I would qualify it by saying that kids with less opportunities (depends what you are measuring) *may
* (or have a greater chance of)

a) not fulfulling full potential, and even then only a measure of academic potential. Professional or academic jobs don't necessarily mean success.
b) lacking a whole swag of experiences that limit them in what is a ''middle class'' environment.
c) don't get the support that ''middle class'' kids get

Now these are generally not disputed amongst academics and sociologists.
What is also not disputed is that I said there is to a certain extent a link.

Now as to the question I posed you, if it is mainly or exclusively down to environmental factors, the sky is the limit for everyone? Whatever you want to be, you can be (if only your 'class' didn't hold you back)?

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Apr 20th 2007 at 2:39 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ya dirty mare. i never used my school creche, but some friends did.

bet you don't regret a moment of it though, esp now with him doing so well at school.

you did good kid

We didn't just have a creche in my high school, we had a whole seperate school

and yes, I'm very proud of my lad. He's got into one of the hardest courses in his Uni (computer science with games) and is doing really well at it. He'll be in Japan doing all the techy stuff before I know it!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Local school here has a creche too. However teen pregnancies don't just happen at state schools, I went to a private school for a while and have an almost 13 year old (I was 30 on Wednesday). Someone I know had a baby at 15 who was privately educated. Round here there's loads of kids pushing prams.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:39 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by OzTennis
What is also not disputed is that I said there is to a certain extent a link.

Now as to the question I posed you, if it is mainly or exclusively down to environmental factors, the sky is the limit for everyone? Whatever you want to be, you can (if only your 'class' didn't hold you back)?

OzTennis

some of the most poor children with the most outragiously immoral parents go on to become highflyers and succesful business people.

i understand what you are saying, but, the home background would have to be abhorantly lacking for it to make such a substantial impact on a bright child.

I have a neice and nephew and they are bright young things and will do well. thier friends can leave a lot to be desired but with the backing of family they will be fine and make something of themselves.

of course if what you are saying is that because i myself am no brain surgeon then my kis will be as thick as two short planks then i might have a prob with that
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:41 pm
forever hopeful

We didn't just have a creche in my high school, we had a whole seperate school

and yes, I'm very proud of my lad. He's got into one of the hardest courses in his Uni (computer science with games) and is doing really well at it. He'll be in Japan doing all the techy stuff before I know it!

ooooh just think of all the cheap hols you're gonna get. can i come
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:43 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by dottyspots
Local school here has a creche too. However teen pregnancies don't just happen at state schools, I went to a private school for a while and have an almost 13 year old (I was 30 on Wednesday). Someone I know had a baby at 15 who was privately educated. Round here there's loads of kids pushing prams.

I have to say, and this really isn't pointed at you believe me, but the rich girls seem to be right little goers

they had a big thing over here a few years ago about the behaviour of the girls and guys after the leaving balls in london. all having it off on the street they were

bet they got told off when they got home because the paper printed the pictures
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

I have to say, and this really isn't pointed at you believe me, but the rich girls seem to be right little goers
Couldn't possibly be, for that I'd need money

The local private girl's school in the area I lived as a teen had it's fair share of slappers though (meant in the nicest possible way ), but one doesn't have to sleep around alot to great pg., a good friend of mine got pregnant first time (which was a bit of a schock, she was only 14).
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:51 pm
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by dottyspots
one doesn't have to sleep around alot to great pg., a good friend of mine got pregnant first time (which was a bit of a schock, she was only 14).

agree totaly, it is usualy the one's that sleep around that get off scott free, they know all about everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.