British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why is everyone obsessed with private schools? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-everyone-obsessed-private-schools-442871/)

GreenTea Apr 17th 2007 4:15 pm

Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

Why are the local schools not good enough or are they good enough?

is this just snobbery? or is this an affordable way to educate your young?

Vash the Stampede Apr 17th 2007 5:08 pm

Re: Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

Originally Posted by GreenTea (Post 4655938)

Are they?

Speaking as someone who attended private and public schools in Australia, I believe that the public schools are certainly good enough.

is this just snobbery?
I couldn't say.

or is this an affordable way to educate your young?
Private schools are much more expensive than public schools, so they are only "affordable" if your income can meet the additional expense.

Munchmel Apr 17th 2007 7:24 pm

we're going to use the local state schools!

:thumbup:

RooksieJ Apr 17th 2007 7:40 pm

Because we are Catholics :blink:

datamile Apr 17th 2007 7:41 pm

Because the uniforms are nice ;) Unless you have snob issues ?

daunted Apr 17th 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by datamile (Post 4656994)

:rofl: at the uniform comment! My daughter was devastated at some of the private school uniforms we saw on our visit the other week!
She is pleading to go to the state schools (Mmmmmmmmm sense a blackmailing opportunity here :D ) ONE school was totally unbelievable :rofl: (wont name it for fear of causing trouble :thumbsup: )

datamile Apr 17th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 4657196)
:rofl: at the uniform comment! My daughter was devastated at some of the private school uniforms we saw on our visit the other week!
She is pleading to go to the state schools (Mmmmmmmmm sense a blackmailing opportunity here :D ) ONE school was totally unbelievable :rofl: (wont name it for fear of causing trouble :thumbsup: )

nice hats, ties and blazers like it should be ;)

annqldau Apr 17th 2007 8:40 pm

Private schools here are unbelievable cheap compared to UK costs less for whole year than one term would have cost in UK. I agree with you that many state schools here do much better than what would have been our local UK school. However, we did enrol our son in a state school for the first 6 mths here and it was a lot less structured and kids allowed to swear and jump around in classes and shout etc. interrupting lessons which didn't happen in the church school he had gone to back home and discipline a lot loser so as he is a quiet non sporty child we decided to go for the private school as it had good reputation and had the calm and structure he thrives in.

Must point out we are not religous but he went to a small C of E school with only 120 kids total in UK so even though state schools here not as bad as some Northern comps it was still a big shock to the system for him and it's program offered a lot more activities that weren't the normal run of the mill sports that he is more inclined to do like chess and fencing.

jad n rich Apr 17th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by datamile (Post 4656994)

LOL, the one across the road from us, has grey wool socks, worn with grey wool shorts, grey wool blazer, nobody appeared to notice the climate is subtropical, I itch every time I look at the poor kids, it must be hell.

Parents must love them tho, kids wear them at every opportunity, "ohhh did we mention the kids go to Saint XYZedders" nah but given its 9pm saturday night and they still have the uniform on we did notice:rofl:

Snobbery, alive and well big time.

DrWho Apr 17th 2007 8:53 pm

Private schooling does seem to be more affordable out here... Many Schools in the UK are nudging £25k pa whereas over here it seems that A$20k gets you a very good education...

BadgeIsBack Apr 17th 2007 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 4657246)
Private schools here are unbelievable cheap compared to UK costs less for whole year than one term would have cost in UK.

This is it. Frankly some of them are a bargain. We are considering a small church school. Couldn't give a fig about the teaching, you just get less numbers, less of a mill, less of a factory.

If the cheapest were as expensive as the English ones, it would be a complete non-starter.

GaryKristensen Apr 17th 2007 9:58 pm

Hmmm, let me think why.....

Smaller class sizes
Beter recognition of the ability of the individual
Better tutoring for the individual based on their need (see above)
Better mentoring system
Better disciplinary structure
More teachers per population of class size means more time per child one to one = better learning possibility
Ability to discharge unruly pupils easily
Teachers tend to be given more support and time to do administration
Better "life skills" appreciation within the school curriculum.
More controlled social interaction (like no swearing and running riot allowed).

I'm sure there are lots more positives, and I'm sure many of you can think of lots of negatives, like having to wear a dodgy uniform or being called a snob, but on balance, we'll always choose the best environmental and schooling facilities for our child so long as we can afford it.

We have had our 3 year old in private prep school for half days for the last 6 months and he has developed into a polite, courteous, inquisitive, sensitive, humorous and very intelligent little boy in that time. As my better half is a degree qualified primary school teacher (working in state schools I might add), we are all too aware of the "other half" and we don't want ours to go into that system based on her experiences of it.

Maybe it is different in Australia. We will give it a look and not discount it until we have investigated it subjectively, but I'll put my neck on the line and state that most private schools will be better in the long run for your child's academic and social education.

Whatever you choose for your kids, just make sure you know it is you that made the decision at the end of the day and you only have you to blame for failing them, if that is what happens!

louise4 Apr 17th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen (Post 4657611)
Hmmm, let me think why.....

Whatever you choose for your kids, just make sure you know it is you that made the decision at the end of the day and you only have you to blame for failing them, if that is what happens!

sorry kids, we will have to fail you because we can't afford the $80,000 dollars a year to put the three of you through private school.

Or

'sorry you two, but we can only afford to not fail one of you so could you all draw straws '

wtf :thumbdown:

GaryKristensen Apr 17th 2007 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by louise4 (Post 4657640)
sorry kids, we will have to fail you because we can't afford the $80,000 dollars a year to put the three of you through private school.

Or

'sorry you two, but we can only afford to not fail one of you so could you all draw straws '

Chill pill required!!! :D ;)

Read the posts above and tell me who has quoted $80k for schooling?????????? :eek:

Only the best education facilities in the UK cost anywhere near that as well. For us, it was actually cheaper to put our lad into a private prep school than pay for part or full time child care/nursery/childminder thanks to the governement voucher scheme for the post 3 years of age children, so it was also a no brainer.

There are a few extra costs like uniform, but you'll find most private schools run a uniform exchange where you can pick up itmes at a fraction of their new cost and they are as good as new thanks to being well looked after.

There are ways to find money - if you drink (to excess) and smoke, you are wasting the money you could be spending on your childs education, so think how you could possibly save this money to give them the best possible chance in life.

You could work a few more hours or educate yourself and find a better paid job.

Do you really need 2 cars and satellite TV? Or go out for more than 1 meal a week?

I know this can't ever apply to everyone, as some are just not high enough earners to start with, so to them I apologise, there is no offence mean't. But to those that can do it, but refuse for selfish reasons and then make excuses, try thinking how much better off you'd have been with a better education and schooling.

I'll leave you to chew on that for a while :lol: ;)

BadgeIsBack Apr 17th 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by louise4 (Post 4657640)

Or

But it may be as 'cheap' as 10k a year for the 3 kids.

Cheaper than an expensive car. We won't be doing if for primary school or prep either - we'll allow the local school and community to 'build' our kids.