Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't it feel like christmas?

Why doesn't it feel like christmas?

Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why doesn't it feel like christmas?

This will be my 2nd christmas in NZ and it just doesn't feel right - not that Im complaining! got my pressies from my folks yesterday which was lovely but still not the same as when at home - also I don't notice the christmas decorations as much over here - is it because it is hot and im not used to seeing deccies in the hot weather?

Does it get more festive the longer you live here? I have no family over here so christmas day is spent with friends which is odd in itself. I feel like scrooge I just cant get in the festive spirit!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Why doesn't it feel like christmas?

Originally posted by Copperben
This will be my 2nd christmas in NZ and it just doesn't feel right - not that Im complaining! got my pressies from my folks yesterday which was lovely but still not the same as when at home - also I don't notice the christmas decorations as much over here - is it because it is hot and im not used to seeing deccies in the hot weather?

Does it get more festive the longer you live here? I have no family over here so christmas day is spent with friends which is odd in itself. I feel like scrooge I just cant get in the festive spirit!
Can only reply for myself , but for the past 11 years (5 in sing and 6 here in Aus) I have never got used to a warm christmas. In fact the longer you stay here the worst it gets .. it's the same old, same old every year... sorry Barbeques don't do it for me. Give us a real cold wet Christmas any day. Give us the hustle and bustle of Christmas, give us family over beaches and sun.. give us the arguing relatives.. give us a Brit Christmas.

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:16 am
WBB

Originally posted by Ceri
Can only reply for myself , but for the past 11 years (5 in sing and 6 here in Aus) I have never got used to a warm christmas. In fact the longer you stay here the worst it gets .. it's the same old, same old every year... sorry Barbeques don't do it for me. Give us a real cold wet Christmas any day. Give us the hustle and bustle of Christmas, give us family over beaches and sun.. give us the arguing relatives.. give us a Brit Christmas.

Cheers

a brit xmas is an overrated experience, santa sold out years ago.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by welshboybilly
a brit xmas is an overrated experience, santa sold out years ago.
come back to me in 11 years time of "foreign" Christmases (oops tell a lie I spent one christmas at home within that period) . I lost the rose glasses along the way.

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I think its just as well i dont feel christmassy...husband started work yesterday to be told he is working christmas day, so i will spend most of it on my own!! ...never mind...will give me a chance to get on with unpacking our shipment of belongings, which isnt being delivered till christmas eve!!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:25 am
WBB

come back to me in 11 years time of "foreign" Christmases (oops tell a lie I spent one christmas at home within that period) . I lost the rose glasses along the way.

Cheers

i have done 4 or 5 years away from "home" at xmas and it is a little different but at least xmas starts in december and the shops are not playing cheesy xmas jingles in september!!!!!

Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

i have done 4 or 5 years away from "home" at xmas and it is a little different but at least xmas starts in december and the shops are not playing cheesy xmas jingles in september!!!!!

The point is, you go through each year of living away then christmas comes.. this is a time when you do really miss family and everything that goes with it. Phone calls home on christmas do not cut it.

The last time I saw my mum was years ago, you learn to appreciate what you really have. I miss family arguments.. dad drinking too much, mum moaning, gran talking a load of bollux (bless her.. she probably won't make next year) .. fights with my pillock of a brother... mum in law (say no more) ... friends (real friends, the ones who know you inside and out)

A cold christmas with all the arguments, hype, bollux and whatever.. even the cheesy cr*P.

cheers
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:57 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

this is a time when you do really miss family and everything that goes with it.
Sorry, but what's to miss? After an hour or so with family the novelty wears off, you remember what it was about them that you didn't like, and it seems that they've only got worse over the last year. Then you eat like a pig, feel bloated and unable to move all afternoon so veg in front of the ubiquitous telly watching the Christmas Day crap......

I'm with Scrooge - "Bah! Humbug!"
Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:01 am
WBB

Originally posted by downunderpom
Sorry, but what's to miss? After an hour or so with family the novelty wears off, you remember what it was about them that you didn't like, and it seems that they've only got worse over the last year. Then you eat like a pig, feel bloated and unable to move all afternoon so veg in front of the ubiquitous telly watching the Christmas Day crap......

exactly, this year we have several family members coming to xmas dinner who we dont like and they know it! why all this bollox at xmas we dont speak to them for the rest of the year.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:02 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

exactly, this year we have several family members coming to xmas dinner who we dont like and they know it! why all this bollox at xmas we dont speak to them for the rest of the year.

Come to Oz, Lovely Boy, and you can leave all that bollox behind! (Done in a Windsor Davis voice, obviously!!)
Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

Had my first mince pie today which was yummy - shame I didn't have any ice cream to go with it

So what does everybody do for christmas, me I will be in the car driving down to the south island so I think we are going to have ham sandwiches at the beach - weather permitting!

Does anybody have the full works, turkey, mince pies, christmas pud??
Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:07 am
WBB

Come to Oz, Lovely Boy, and you can leave all that bollox behind! (Done in a Windsor Davis voice, obviously!!)

watching my girlfriends aged nan attempting to chew her food is the highlight of our xmas, wonder whether her teeth will fall out this year.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:13 am
Y Ddraig Goch

sounds wonderful to me

this year I have had enough, seriously.. plans for christmas for me , I'm getting up and going fishing, I'm taking off in my 4 b .. away from people ... b*gger everyone, bollux to it all. bugger the bbq's , bugger bugger and bollux - boring aussie christmas again . I am the most un- christmassy person you want to meet this year.

pass us the booze.

cheers
Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:15 am
I like kittens.

watching my girlfriends aged nan attempting to chew her food is the highlight of our xmas, wonder whether her teeth will fall out this year.

Okay, so why do you put yourself through it? It's up to you, obviously, and none of my beeswax, but I'm curious.

I used to ask my mother the same question when I was a kid (she was VERY 'family' oriented, still is.) and her response was always 'Because you should....'. Well that's no bloody answer! I decide what my obligations are, and they don't run to spending time with people I don't like. And just because an accident of nature means that I'm related to them makes no difference to me.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:16 am
I like kittens.

this year I have had enough, seriously.. plans for christmas for me , I'm getting up and going fishing, I'm taking off in my 4 b .. away from people ... b*gger everyone, bollux to it all. bugger the bbq's , bugger bugger and bollux - boring aussie christmas again . I am the most un- christmassy person you want to meet this year.
SECOND most..... Here - take this.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.