Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why does Melbourne short term accommodation seem so expensive?

Why does Melbourne short term accommodation seem so expensive?

Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

laguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura aboutlaguna33p has a spectacular aura about
Default Why does Melbourne short term accommodation seem so expensive?

Hi All,

I have been checking out short term accommodation on sites like Moving to Melbourne and a few others. The prices are like $800 a week...is that correct or have they got the week and month mixed up?!?!?! My budget is around £400 a month for a studio or 1 bed.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Why does Melbourne short term accommodation seem so expensive?

Originally Posted by laguna33p View Post
Hi All,

I have been checking out short term accommodation on sites like Moving to Melbourne and a few others. The prices are like $800 a week...is that correct or have they got the week and month mixed up?!?!?! My budget is around £400 a month for a studio or 1 bed.
$800 per week for short term 'furnished' actually seems reasonable.

Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:58 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Mate I'm afraid you will struggle to find accommodation in Melbourne for $800 per month unless you go to a shared house. For a 1 bed apartment on a standard 12 month lease you'd be looking at $275+ per week upwards. Studio apartments aren't common here. If you're just looking at short term you should maybe check out a hostel, you'll have a few to choose from in that price range.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

try www.australianhomeaway.com.au we got a 1 bed flat for around $300 a week with them.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:54 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but as ABC mentions, $800 for short term is normal for Melbourne.

Long term is obviously cheaper, but furnished and all inclusive is something different.

We have probably the cheapest on Kates site at $400 p.w but are just outside Melbourne.

I think you might need to rethink your budget for the first few weeks. Even backpackers hostels in the city are more than what you hoping to pay.